Finally done testing to post my latest mod

ICEMANN

Registered
As I think Im becoming kinda known for gadgets I thought I would go ahead and post my latest mod.

Ive hinted about it here and there over the last few months. Ive offered suggestions to those that asked, and now Im satisfied with my setup. After all the testing I wouldnt trade it for anything.

The mounting, as seen, has been temporary for testing, however works extremely well. Ive had the system up and running completely now for about two months. I have had some trade off's here and some tweeks there. This is what I finally came up with.

A lot of people are getting into camera systems for rear view monitoring in lue of mirrors. Some people have put HUGE contraptions on their gas tanks. Some have made trays behind the rear foot pegs, others have put them behind the rear fender. I offered sugguestions for mirror mounted monitors etc. Most do it to film their crews stunting, or their insane rides, or in LOBUSA's case the most beutifull scenery Ive never been able to ride. I use it to film the crew, stunts, chicks, bikes, etc. The system can dismount and become portable in minutes.

This is probably the easiest yet most versitle video monitoring/recording system with editible sound that I could conjour up. Probably one of the smallest as well, at least from what Ive seen.

The system is capable of supporting two camera's with picture in a picture recording. The unit can record up to 80 hours of continuess digital near DVD quality recordings. Has a 3½ inch built in color tft LCD monitor with light editing contrast to make it always visible as well as for instant playback and/or live viewing.

The camera system is water proof and holds rock solid at 196 mph. Ive set the viewfinder/recorder up to have two mounting locations. The stem nut on a ram mount similar mounting tray, or in the trunk.

The sound mic can be mounted on the bike or worn like a tv interviewers lappel mic. Supports dual mics. One can be worn and the other looped thru a music source like an MP3 players head phones to give background music as well as actual live recordings. Their are seperate mic volumes as well. The video is available to be downloaded right to any computer via USB direct dumps as MPEG video.

Bike not avail as of this write up to take an actual pic to post the monitor inplace. but here it is to give size ref (see below). As of now It's basically mounted on a ram mount in the steering bolt hole on a small plat form like radar detectors. SIze is fine. Im playing with taking a GSXR mirror with the "TWIN" mount arms (Ours is a single arm and has a boot over it, older GSXR mirrors dont). Take the mirror off and mount a small tray in it's spot that can swivel left or right and tilt up/down for angle. Take the inner panel off the right or left side and mount the GSXR mirror base to the underside of the busas mirror bolts so the busa mirror will be on the outside and the GSXR mirror arm will be on the inside using same bolts. This will alow the arm to go horizontal and move out of the way of the gauges as well as push in or pull outward for more adjustabilty yet be small. You can then push the arm inward and bend the tray outward to put it up higher on the dash out of the way. Then just cut a notch in the upper inner panel for it to come out up by the push pin.

I have it set up so that I can just stick it on the tray and plug in the (power/vid/aud) cables and turn it on. Works just like a DVD or vcr right in front of you. Second set of cables in trunk on poor weather days. Unplug one and plug in the other. Right now cigarette lighter adapter being used but will hardwire power to battery. Low power consumption too.

MYDVR40.jpg

Monitor/recorder specs:

• Only 12.3 ounces!
• Dimensions: 5.1†X 3.3†X 1.3
• Records up to 80 hours of video and audio
• Built-in 3.5 inch backlighted TFT LCD display for easy camera set-up and playback of video
• video/audio inputs and outputs
• High-speed USB 2.0 computer connection for easy downloading or uploading of video files
• Records using the industry standard MPEG4 Codec
• Easy on-screen menus and the RealONE embedded software
12 volt operation with built in lit/ion 4 hour recharble bat.

The camera is mounted in a bullet proof temporary waterproof mount on the right side of the bike with the cables temporarly running over the inner, along the tank to the trunk as well as up to the monitor. Camera is a lipstick cam that is less than 3/4 in diameter and 1½ in long. Has varifocus from 4-10mm and semi wide angle. Camera has .002lux and is color. Nearly see in the dark. HID makes it really nice. Once moved perfect I hope. The second camera can be however as of now is not, mounted inside the rear tail section using a 1/32 hole between the two tail lights.

I have removed the front head light assembly in the past, and as tought by rhythem, have seperated the headlight assembly case in ½ to mount the camera flush and beneath the headlight inside the headlight housing. This has not been completed yet. The mount has a shield sleeve to block all that HID light! But as of now it's still on the side of the bike. Thanks rhythm!

The body worn mic cable runs down the side and plugs in right near the clutch cover/oil cover along the frame. Heat is not a problem. Easy access to plug in. Cable is such that a perm mount can be clipped anywhere. High gain mic w/auto wind mute so it's not so hateful. Toggle switch turns entire system on or off. One button record. Trunk or dash!

I tested this system using a cannon camcorder in the trunk in myrtle beach. Heat not an issue. BIke not running not an issue. Cam corder has about 2.5-3 hours recording but in real life about an hour. 80 hours is unheard of.

Recording DVR is a hard drive as well so files can be stored. Play back out the output to a DVD recorder yields movie quality recordings. For a cheapo camera the pics are better than a cam corder. Just cant zoom on the move.

Sorry it's so long of a post, Ill post more pics when Bike gets back. It's in my trailer about 80 miles from here locked up while I remodel. Needed drive way space. it's raining now thats why I have time to post.

Hey terry (orangebusaboy) thanks for the input in myrtle as well!.

Oh the type of mount.
post-12-45958-mount_2.gif

post-12-46276-mount.gif

ICE

Last edited by a moderator:
Ment to thank Thinker62 for his ideas as well as many others. The monitor is not as big as it appears in the pic above. Their is a smaller one that is the size of a pack of cigarettes but uses an SD card and is only 4 hour. SIze vs 80 hours made the decision. Contact with a vender got me the unit for a reduced price for testing and writeup.

ICE

WOW!! Very, very, very slick Icemann......That's ingenious..I can't wait to see some footage

Thanks for the pics to share that with us....

Dan
beerchug.gif

<!--EDIT|UR IT!
Reason for Edit: None given...|1093046062 -->

ICE,

That is totally sweet! I checked it out at QS&L in Dayton one night if you remember me?

Also, we are planning a bike-vs-car meet in Dayton OH (8-28-04)if you know anyone that might be interested?

Josh
cool.gif

Hey Got busa, havnt seen ya round. Is she getting a little more comfortable riding yet? I know she was kinda leary as a new passenger... Wheres the meet gonna be?

ICE

ICE,

She is slowly coming around but we really haven't had much time to ride lately.  She has been busy with Summer classes.

As for the meet, this is a link to the post on here.  

It will be in Dayton OH just off I-675.  Please pass the word to anyone and everyone that you can.  CARS, BIKES, anything FAST!  Hopefully we will have several hundred show up!

This is a link for directions, it's at Cheng's Buffet!

Hope to see you then.

Josh
pirate.gif

<!--EDIT|Got-Busa?
Reason for Edit: None given...|1093097118 -->

Come on, Baby give up the goods! Lets see it all mounted and tucked away. That headlight deal sounds like a sweet set up! Man you guys are making me go broke, LOL!

Haven't even got the basic stuff done yet. You guys are coming up with too much cool stuff! Maybe one day I'll be worthy enough to do something like that! Keep it up!

Ice, I want one of those. What price range are we talkin for the full set-up? I would love to do the headlight mode and then have the tail also.

Let a Brotha know.

Josh

so um, come on with the links/info/pricing
cool.gif
You have our interest peaked!
biggrin.gif

The monitor varies on which size space you get.  10GB,20GB,30GB, or 40GB.  There is a 100GB coming out soon but thats a little over kill.  40 is too actually.  At 20GB thats 40 hours of recording.

I did a search on mini DVR's and found it.  The camera's.  I wouldnt go anywhere else but
www.supercircuits.com  Steve is a great guy and stands behind everything he sells.  He is supposed to start carring the DVR's soon as well.  Camera under $100.00 depending on what you choose.  Seperate mic was $12.00.  DVR, Im doing a test with it so as of now it's a free loaner with option to buy at the end.  So everything would be about $450 I would guess. Also depends on the mount you choose.

JD

<!--EDIT|ICEMANN
Reason for Edit: None given...|1093780671 -->

Ice, how did you get something like on lone with opt. to buy? you must really have the hook up. Thats pimp.

Question, is the RCA LYRA basicly the same thing that your usin?

Ref the loan/option. It was similar to the hump mod quarter turn fastners. I just contacted the company and explained what I was doing on a show bike. I explained I wasnt looking for sponcers but wanted to test a new product and accurately give a review. I outlined my specs. If it's what Im looking for I would pay full price for it. I gave all my information etc. I also offered them to use my pics on their site/sales ads if the wanted. They overnighted the unit with a list of questions and reviews they wanted with an option to buy.

Funny now that you mentioned it but I did the same thing with the deck Im building. Im building a custom grilling area with a grill built into the deck. I contacted the grill company with questions about converting the grill to N. gas. They wouldnt help with that part but to aid in my building process they sent me an entire new bottom half of the grill with new burners, igniters, etc everything but the lid and handles with requests for pics to use in their new ads. Now I can build the area around the grill without dismanteling the other one.

Ref the RCA LYRA... I looked at those really hard first. Several problems for what I needed it for. There are several "brand" models that are similar to the RCA LYRA.

All of them are SD disk based. Memory stick type memory access or even hard drives. They are mainly "you hook it to a computer" and copy files over and replay them. They are not capible of live recordings.

The RCA LYRA is a PLAYER model not a recorder model. etc. The only thing Im not 100% happy with on this recorder is that it plays back in a real audio window on the unit itself or if it's plugged directly into a tv. I guess you have to use some sort of player since is computer based hard drive. Any editing can be done on a computer. For what Im using it for it's nearly perfect so far.

ICE

Back