GoPro Mirror Block Off Mount Tested

Howdy Brett,

Just something I threw together on a moment's notice until the new one I ordered gets here.I still think the best(smoothest)video comes from being mounted on the side of the helmet with panning where you look(if you're just out goofin' around/riding with some friends,etc.)rather than just aimed in one direction(unless you're at the track).This was with my old Hero 2 and thinking I'll go out shortly and get the new Hero4 Silver.

View attachment 1565509

If you're looking for smooth footage, there is something to be said about the Sony AS-15/AS-30 action cams over the gopro - as they have really really good image stabilization. They can make bumpy footage ice smooth.

PS: GoPro uses Sony's sensors, so the real difference is in the software.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the newer GoPro3+ and now the GoPro4 have been vastly improved(better resolution,more compact,etc.)since the introduction of my old dinosaur Hero2.Will definitely be checking out any reviews and comparisons between the Sony and the Hero4.:beerchug:

Sony has a way of crippling themselves with their products. The company makes both Walkmans and music. So they want copy protection to prevent one industry from harming the other. They make blu-ray players and movies.

With cameras, they make a ton of different models, and can't have a cheap action camera near the quality of the higher units. The AS-15 (which I own) is on par with the GoPro 3 silver in image quality, despite having the same sensor as the GoPro 3 black. Large reason for this is the high compression rate used. But given that the units have been selling discounted in the $150 range, it's a damn good bang for the buck compared to gopros offerings. The newer AS-30 is basically the same as the AS-15, but it has extras like GPS and on screen display of sensors, which are nice for some applications.

I personally use a gopro 3 black, because most gimbals are designed for that shape and weight. I wouldn't have an alternative with the sony.

Honestly, if you're just recording bike rides, the AS-15/30 is going to be just fine, and your footage will come out better. Do you really need 4K detail of your dash and the road? =) 1080p/60fps is just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure the HERO4 Black has the 4K30(which I definitely don't need)so will probably go with the HERO4 Silver(1080p and $100 cheaper),doesn't have the image stabilization but other than that all the reviews I've read still call it the best action camera available(and has the most mounting options,etc.).

or you could get the hero3 black, since that's the same image quality you'll get with the 4 silver. Should save you even more.

kool. is it shaky?

A bit like on that really rough road,but it's a rigged up mount and older/heavy camera compared to the newer models(HERO3 and 4)and mounts designed for the mirror block offs.Really no vibration at all though when mounted on the lower side of the helmet which is where I usually kept it.

Just bit the bullet and ordered a HERO4 Silver with 64 card and extra battery(and a new Arai Corsair V helmet the other day),now I'm broke.:laugh:

I've got one on my track bike. The image is pretty good.

Which corsair V did you go with?

I went with the black frost,hopefully it's their version of a matte finish(couldn't tell for sure from the pictures but appears to be).

Crap,just dawned on me I should've gotten in touch with you before I ordered!Ended up paying $719.95 from Revzilla(no sales tax and free shipping)which seemed to be the going rate regardless of where I looked.

A bit like on that really rough road,but it's a rigged up mount and older/heavy camera compared to the newer models(HERO3 and 4)and mounts designed for the mirror block offs.Really no vibration at all though when mounted on the lower side of the helmet which is where I usually kept it.

Just ordered some of these.Both GoPro and new mounts shipped out today so will take a video this weekend and post up the results.

CycleMount GoPro camera compatible mount for sportbikes

I went with the black frost,hopefully it's their version of a matte finish(couldn't tell for sure from the pictures but appears to be).

Crap,just dawned on me I should've gotten in touch with you before I ordered!Ended up paying $719.95 from Revzilla(no sales tax and free shipping)which seemed to be the going rate regardless of where I looked.

It's all good. The frost black is the matte black for Arai helmets.

I'm surprised you even know how to turn on a GoPro Jeff :laugh::firing:
Have you seen the RAM Mount I use? It mounts where the mirror block off bolt is. Ill take a pic tonight if you want.

Here we go...:rofl:

What's happenin' bro,haven't seen you since the Lucky Greek?

Haven't seen the ram mount but just spent $50 on the one I ordered so it'd better damn work.:laugh:If nothing else I'll just stick it back on the side of my helmet,think that takes the best videos anyway.

Wait a minute bro,have somethin' for ya...

:guns::guns::guns::guns::guns::guns::guns::guns::guns::guns:

Back