Factory Pro Dyno Results

(Marc Salvisberg @ Aug. 21 2007,13:13)
(dmrowe @ Dec. 28 2006,22:23) OK, here are the final dyno results.  I had the Factory Pro V-stacks removed and 4 Suzuki stock short stacks installed.  Loaded the bike with 87 Octane and said "Tune It".  Results were 178.32 HP and 106.75 Max Torque vs. 171.91 HP and 105.01 Max Torque for the Factory Pro's.  At 9700 RPM there is a difference of 6.2 HP in favor of the factory short stacks and the HP continues to drop off dramatically.  A/F runs between 13.29 and 13.25.  Compliments to Greg on his recommendation on the Tsukigi exhaust.  Lee's said this is the best HP producing pipe they have seen to date.  Compliments to Quinten and Jody at Lee's for  having the patience to deal with me and the bike for the past two days.  I'm happy!  
biggrin.gif
Not that it's the last word in tuning sophistication, but what was the AFR on the Factory Pro stacks from the first dyno charts on the 26th and the second run, on the 29th?

Thanks -

Marc
Marc,

I'll test a set of your stacks at the track and report my results.  Stock motor with a pipe and pcIIIusb using an innovative LC-1/DL32 combo for logging. I'll datalog the runs and have a second air box ready to make the swap and try to tune to the same A/F as the stock stack mix in the same day. Regardless, I'll get two tunes ready so they can be run back and forth with their respective stacks to maintain track conditions.

It will be a 4-8 weeks before I have the tune dialed in and time to do it. If interested let me know and we'll work out the details. I'll supply you with logs of my runs for you to review prior to you committing on the deal.  

Rick

Damn... I have a set of these. Looks like i should toss em. Id love to see some track times back to back tests. sj

(gsteve @ Sep. 16 2007,23:42) Damn... I have a set of these.  Looks like i should toss em.  Id love to see some track times back to back tests.  sj
Me too....

But I'm not confident enough in them to pay that kind of money to find out.

If they do what Marc (Factory Pro) claims, the proper back to back testing should back up his claims and sell quite a few sets on this board alone.

(gsteve @ Sep. 16 2007,21:42) Damn... I have a set of these. Looks like i should toss em. Id love to see some track times back to back tests. sj
Don't rush too fast -

The OZ Busa site has a longterm testing project and one of the quickest (9.64/Glenn N's bike) Busas is WITH the Factory Pro stacks and a dead stock engine.

What the key was, was to, like I've said about 1000 times before, that looking at a 4th gear inertia dyno test (dynojet and dynojet clone dynos) is a virtual waste of time when it comes to fine tuning and that's especially true about power past the power peak.

The Factory Pro Superflares boost the upper midrange and if TESTED UNDER LOAD, LIKE THE REAL WORLD.... will boost the peak a bit and YES, if PROPERLY TUNED and that DOESN'T MEAN "TO AN AIR FUEL RATIO" - it means TO BEST POWER and UNDER LOAD..... will give the rider the POTENTIAL to drop their ET - and that only the POTENTIAL,

If a rider is under the impression that you have to bang off the rev limiter through the 1/4 - well, the advantages of the increased upper mid and slight peak, are wasted.
The stacks do NOT increase power at the bike's tach redline and DEF don't make more power beyond it - up to the rev limit. Look at the silly dyno chart and you'll see that Lee's banged it off the rev limiter - As IF that the way we actually ride.

If the rider does what a professional rider would do, and that's to experiment with lower rpm shift points to get the most out of the powerband's potential - then the rider will end up with better ET's -

It's not like I haven't been doing R&D for about 30 years - but Jeez! It's hell when dealership level dyno operators (who may or may not be well known and/or successful) have what looks like 100% confidence,(without qualification) in dealership level equipment - which falls down when it comes to operating and test loads and conditions - Heck! Spark plug temperature is about 300f COLDER on a dealership level dyno's 4th gear sweep test than what happens in the real world or when dynoed properly - Does a dealership level dyno owner even know that? I only know one or two dealership level dyno owners (who can't afford to upgrade to a better dyne system) that are aware of that.

You'll also see proof of that fact in that a lot of the better DD tuners actually DO know and that's why they fiddle with their power commanders from what worked best on their dealership dyno yest load -

Think a 300f difference will skew HP results? You bet it will!

If one insists on banging off the rev limit on every shift and not learning to ride quicker, go ahead and slap in stock SHORT stacks and gain about 2 hp peak and lose 1-3 in the low, mid, and upper mid - and MAYBE get a SMALL ET improvement - or maybe no improvement at all.

Good golly - 30 years experience, 6 patents, done work for many manufactures and larger race teams, including Muzzys, Yoshimura, Vance and Hines and I'm arguing with a guy who did a dyno run on a dealership level dyno........

So much to learn if one has an open mind -

Pardon the seeming rant, but, I had an irascible streak suddenly attack me.... :-) Maybe it's because I drove a 13,000lb, WW2 M-20 armored car (http://m8m20.co.uk/information_page.html) to the front gate of San Quentin prison after brunch, today -
Err.... that was truly PRICELESS. You should have seen the 2 gate guard's eyes before we did a U turn....... It's street registered as a 1942 Ford coupe and all legal to drive, even with the dummy 50 cal on top -

In good humour =

Marc

Marc Salvisberg
Factory Pro Tuning
416 491 5920
www.factorypro.comhttp://m8m20.co.uk/information_page.html

Marc a DJ250 is a loadcontrol dyno just like yours.
real tuners like myself do not tune by A/F but by what a motor needs
quit crying

(Johnnycheese @ Sep. 17 2007,07:46) Marc a DJ250 is a loadcontrol dyno just like yours.
real tuners like myself do not tune by A/F but by what a motor needs
quit crying
JC? Still around? You were kinda quiet after the last time that you told some guy who had his bike tuned by AF-1 AF-1 to Best Power that his bike's AFR was so lean that it was going to melt.
That's what the customer said.
He paid you to remap it and them he went back to AF-1 and paid them again to redo the tuning again.
I remember you -

OK - so...... you are still fast with the one liners - and I still do educational posts -

1. Can you please describe how your dynojet 250i compares with a high speed, low inertia EC997, mechanically? Please include the patented drive roller's advantages and how it decreases tire slip on high hp bikes under loaded testing.

2. And in test procedures? Please include as part of the answer, what load do you put on the engine while testing for power? Does a 250 and a 1300 require different test procedures? Are their internal combustion chamber temperature differences in different engine operating conditions - and in what tests is that true?

2. Also. please describe the difference in an o2 sensor generated "AFR" vs. a 4 gas analyzer? Especially, please describe how you use "AFR" to diagnose untuned ignition timing settings or poor ignition. Please describe how you know, reasonably confidentially, when ignition timing is right. What the best setting for a PC3 Ign module? +10 degrees or -10 degrees?

3. Please supply your patents and experience with major race teams and motorcycle manufacturers. Please include AMA championship involvement and AMA level personal references with contact information.

We can do each of those things and more - an few years ago, on this forum, you weren't able to provide much beneficial information.

These forums are supposed to be for helping people, in my opinion.

If Gordon Blair, John B. Heywood or Kevin Cameron, who know more than I do in theory and history were talking to me about engines and tuning, I'd certainly listen - because I'd learn and get new ideas that might help me progress beyond where we are now -

I'm certainly not Blair, Heywood or Cameron, and you don't sound like me................

What was the point of your post?

If you were using the same test procedures that we use, you'd get the same results that we did, and in an unbiased world, you'd say the same things we do........

Best regards -

Marc

I was flipping through some old posts and.... Professor, what ever happened with the stacks? It's been a while so are you running the stacks now or tossed them?

Me too....

But I'm not confident enough in them to pay that kind of money to find out.

If they do what Marc (Factory Pro) claims, the proper back to back testing should back up his claims and sell quite a few sets on this board alone.

Back