Exterior home painting

drfbusa

Registered
I want to paint the exterior of my home. Lots of friends have recommended Sherwin Williams. Their paint aint cheap, but based on testimonial, its worth it.

I have wood siding, 1 story 1400 sq ft home. Do I need a sprayer? Do I rent one? Should I just buy a wagner? Or is a roller and a ladder all thats really needed? Any pros out there?

Thanks!

Man, don't spray. The people that did mine before I bought it sprayed everything. I have overspray everywhere. Negates the quality of the paint, IMO.
firedevil.gif

I used a 1" nap roller and bucket to paint my home (Stucco). It took more time but I came out with better coverage; it's a 1900 sq.ft single story block. It took approx. 15 gal to do the whole thing. And Sherwin Williams is excellent paint; it's what I used. Good luck!

My wife and I own a house painting business. Sherwin Williams is good paint but can have pigment problems (fading) and it seemed to need a second coat of paint more often to get a nice even coverage. We use Benjamin Moore paint. We feel that it is better than Sherwin Williams. If you want to spray your house just rent a sprayer, it's not worth buying one. The wagner handheld sprayers are slow and heavy compared to an airless sprayer. Spraying gives a heavier coat of paint than rolling if it is done properly and is way faster. Make sure you cover anything you don't want paint on. Some painters are real messy because they don't care and just want the check and to move on to the next job. Brush and/or roll the trim. The most important thing you can do for your paint job is prepwork. Make sure you caulk every crack and prime anywhere it needs it, scrape off anything that is loose. Send me a PM if you need more help.

PM 99'Busa as well... is a professional painter... Odds are good this is a "Get what you pay for" game... I quit buying cheap paint because it took twice as long to do the job...

If you need to seal your windows, do NOT use Silicone (like GE Silicone II)- get a paintable latex base sealer (Dynaflex clear - goes on white and dries clear) - and costs about 40% less. I just finished sealing and painting all my exterior windows and trust me on this one.

depending on where you live get yourself some guatamalen day labors that know how to paint and kick back with some brews and watch your house turn colors

Spraying is not recommended for someone who's not done it before. Like someone ^ said prep is key to a good finish. Preasure washing it first is a good idea for removing all the dust, dirt, and debris especially if you decide to spray. If you spray over dust it will flake on you within a year. Don't buy a wagner anything unless your using it very occasionally for SMALL projects ie. chairs, tables, shelving.....

If you decide to spray PM me or call me. I train people on airless pumps all the time and can give you some advice and walk you through some of it.

chris

Ohh, on the paint choice I use Porter "acri-shield" but they have a better line but this one is pretty good. If you have one near you I can get you my discount which is usually 40% less.

Agreed to most all above. Benjamin Moore is a quality paint to use. Only get a sprayer if you have someone to show you how to use it, and spend some time taping things off that don't get painted(that blue tape is good only for a couple days before it starts to get hard to get off, so don't wait). Trim should be brushed on. And definitely take the time to clean up dirt and lose paint. Be careful if you use a pressure washer, it can tear up the wood. Oh yea, those Wagner painters are no good. Good Luck...

I can attest to the ol' Wagner painter, got one for fathers day, couldn't wait to try it out and just hit a small spot in the middle of the bathroom wall to test it, man, paint mist goes everywhere, it definitely goes quicker but you must mask everything you don't want paint on. I would never use it to paint inside unless the house was empty and without carpet in it yet. Worked great for staining the fence although!

I would stay away from the "green" paints that advertise zero voc.  Even the low voc paints are pretty crappy in the long run.  The zero voc paints do not contain anything to kill bacteria and will cause you lots of problems if you have any moisture in your air. We make paint our paint for other company's also, they just charge more for the exact same product with a different (fancier) label.

I want to paint the exterior of my home.  Lots of friends have recommended Sherwin Williams.  Their paint aint cheap, but based on testimonial, its worth it.  

I have wood siding, 1 story 1400 sq ft home.  Do I need a sprayer?  Do I rent one?  Should I just buy a wagner?  Or is a roller and a ladder all thats really needed?  Any pros out there?

Thanks!
I am a contractor. If you want to paint your house one time you dont really need a sprayer. If you dont uce them continually the pumps tend to freeze up from the excess paint left in them. You can oil them but i dont think it lasts 15-25 years. That will probably be the next time you use it.  Maybe a cheap one would do though. Id just get a cheep $5-7 roller and pan combo myself.

Sherwin williams super paint is what i use when im doing houses for the city of n.o. I think sny paint will work if you apply it in thick enough coats and use a proper primer base.

You could rent a paint sprayer but one thing you have to worry about with sprayers is mist blowing on all your neighbors property!!!!!! Windows, cars etc.

I make paint for all of the "Ace Hardware" stores in the world. I have worked for other paint company's before. Every company makes good paint and bad paint. I can get a gallon of any paint that we make for a $3 donation to the "children's miracle network". I painted my own house with Ace paint 5 years ago and it still looks good.

=Don't buy a wagner anything unless your using it very occasionally for SMALL projects ie. chairs, tables, shelving.....
I use a wagner paint crew and it works great. I thought it was kind of weak for my standards but im still using it. My dog chewed the hose up and it didnt even burst.

Thanks everyone! Ill definately PM everyone. Ill do this over the holiday. Damn! I just gotta finish my master bathroom tile job first. I grout today!

Back