Phase 1 of Renovation

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
So after my small spill at the dragon I am way to anal to just touch up the small patches of scratches. I will be repainting the whole bike.

Phase 1:
Since winter is now upon me I took it upon myself to collect up a Gen2 tail because its grown on me :laugh:. It is going to take me a while to accumulate every part I want over the winter for personal reasons so Phase 1 and Phase 2 are going to intertwine :laugh:. Might even run into phase 3 because all of the parts I have not acquired are not necessary for paint.

Phase 2:
Rather than pay 800 to get the bike repainted as it costed me a little over a year ago, I found that we have an on base paint shop that is adjacent to the auto hobby shop. See, the Marine Corps may not be enjoyable for most (you would have to join to understand) but it is all about how YOU make it. It is up to the individual to get enjoyment and take advantage of everything. This paint shop has a full professional paint booth ready to be rented for 60 bucks and they have the full line of Sherwin Williams Automotive paints for your please, all at cost, which is the same paint that was used previously to paint my bike which turned out amazing. The guy gave me a high estimate of 250 bucks to rent the booth and all the paint and such I need :thumbsup:.
They also have a staff of experienced guys to help you with every single thing you need. All I have to do is supply the wetordry sand paper and buy the paint when I finish sanding. For Phase 2, I will be taking one part every saturday or more often as I see fit this winter to sand them down and then one saturday, collectively take them down and paint them all in a day. Today, I did the front fender which took about an hour and a half doing it by hand and being diligent.

Phase 3 will be the painting process which may or may not happen before January. If I dont get it done before January, It will probably wait until March. Riding season is pretty much over for me because its starting to get pretty damn cold :banghead:
I am going to be painting her black again unless something crazy comes along to change my mind. I just love black. I do have a ton of cool ideas I am going to be putting into development possibly so she is going to be stellar by next spring :thumbsup:

Sounds good... I wish I was there to help...

Sounds good... I wish I was there to help...

Yeah that would be cool :down:

I have to look on the bright side of having to repaint it. At least this time I can say proudly that I personally repainted it.
Apparently there is a shop that does powder coating in Area 51 on base the guy said? I still want to powdercoat my wheels this winter too.

When I did mine and Omar's, I had a shop to do it in and it was a PITA... if you are going to do them one color, there is s place near New River that has very good prices. I may make some trips up there occassionally, so I will be sure to check in with you occassionally... you may have heard that I really like to do that kind of stuff :)

I hope everything turns out great, are you going with the same color? Cant wait to see some pics

I hope everything turns out great, are you going with the same color? Cant wait to see some pics

Yeah same color because I just love black on it. After all of the plastics are sanded, I am going to put them on the bike for some before and after pics :thumbsup:

Good luck. Best part of it will be doing it yourself. Was it just a flat black or metallic or pearl?

Well Russell, you got me wanting to upgrade my GEN1 to a GEN2...its growing on me as well... I'll keep you posted.

Well Russell, you got me wanting to upgrade my GEN1 to a GEN2...its growing on me as well... I'll keep you posted.

:laugh: its gonna look sexy when i get her done. Only thing I am pondering now is my new exhaust, if it wil fit the Gen2 hangers or if I need to get Gen2 slipons...

Best part about it being fresh paint, will be that you did it all yourself. Take your time and remember that black shows all imperfections. So when it doubt sand it out! :thumbsup:

Best part about it being fresh paint, will be that you did it all yourself. Take your time and remember that black shows all imperfections. So when it doubt sand it out! :thumbsup:

Ohhh yeah she is going to be immaculate. I am a perfectionist especially when it comes to my own things. I spent an hour and a half on the front fender alone :laugh: Next weekend I will probably do the tail and the tire hugger

Back