cheap paint job?

busastalker05

Registered
do to a lack of funds i am looking for a cheap way to paint my busa with out it looking like a two dollar camo job on some hillbilly's ole pickup. i know i need to remove the fairings and i guess sand off all the clear coat, (if you cant tell i am not a paint and body guy) i pretty sure i need to pick up an air sprayer and ........??? paint? i want to do an actual old school paint job like an old chopper flat black with flame job( probably wont end up happing though lol) and im getting ready to start making some custom blacksmithed pieces (once again due to a lack of funds lol) any advice on repainting and possibly polishing the frame will be much appreciated!!!

if you're going flat black and want a cheap way out you can use spray cans but get the good paint not walmart stuff. if the plastic doesn't need body work i would just scuff it with a scotchbrite pad. you may want to practice on something with the spraycan before you paint the bike. one thing about flat black is, it's easy to touchup if you get a scratch.

ose rhino liner ! :beerchug: there are pics on here of a busa that was done with a brush . it looked better than a rattle can job, no need to sand either ???

if you're going flat black and want a cheap way out you can use spray cans but get the good paint not walmart stuff. if the plastic doesn't need body work i would just scuff it with a scotchbrite pad. you may want to practice on something with the spraycan before you paint the bike. one thing about flat black is, it's easy to touchup if you get a scratch.

I wouldn't use scotchbrite. It is coarser than you think. I'd use some wet paper about 1000 grit. As far as paint selection I would send dolilind a PM. He is an auto body painter and painted his own bike more than once.

I understand, we all have budgets, sometimes they get tighter...
I think I posted a pic a while back I did on a challenger.. dont use spray cans,
it wont hold up and everyone will know it's a spraycan paint job. but if you wanted to go the rite way.. sand your plastics down 320 uses black paper, you can get this any auto parts store. now you want to keep your budget down. get some sandable dupli color cans of primer. spray your plastics..
check for any imperfections and sand 400 grit. hopefully filler wont be needed.. now here is where a little money will be spent. about 85.00-110.00 goe to any bodyshop supply house or a body shop. pick up a quart (thats more than enough) of paint. I dont have the code handy on me. but you'll want the semi flat black paint you see on the new charger r/ts.. rent a aircomprssor, borrow or buy a cheap hvlp gun (maybe 40.00) and get a filter to attach to the gun. when you spray this paint it will be in light coats your last or two coat will be a mist.. this paint dries very fast, and you really cant screw it up.. so maybe you will spend 250 maybe more or less but thats about as cheap as it will get
and with the paint it will look sweet..

if you go with the rattle can (aerosol overhaul) without clear coat dont spill any gas on it.I'd be patient & save your $$$ & do it right.if you lived by me I got a friend that owns a shop that would do it for $500-600 minor bodywork,paint & clear. shop around times are tough there are deals out there

heres a challenger I painted..

index.jpg

DSC05700.JPG

DSC05760.JPG

OK 3m makes 2 different pads, one is red and one is gray, The red one is coarser than the gray one. WE've scuffed plastic with the gray one and haven't had a problem. The more posts the more expensive your paint job is getting. My way will get you out under a 100. It won't last but it's according to what you want to invest.

I understand, we all have budgets, sometimes they get tighter...
I think I posted a pic a while back I did on a challenger.. dont use spray cans,
it wont hold up and everyone will know it's a spraycan paint job. but if you wanted to go the rite way.. sand your plastics down 320 uses black paper, you can get this any auto parts store. now you want to keep your budget down. get some sandable dupli color cans of primer. spray your plastics..
check for any imperfections and sand 400 grit. hopefully filler wont be needed.. now here is where a little money will be spent. about 85.00-110.00 goe to any bodyshop supply house or a body shop. pick up a quart (thats more than enough) of paint. I dont have the code handy on me. but you'll want the semi flat black paint you see on the new charger r/ts.. rent a aircomprssor, borrow or buy a cheap hvlp gun (maybe 40.00) and get a filter to attach to the gun. when you spray this paint it will be in light coats your last or two coat will be a mist.. this paint dries very fast, and you really cant screw it up.. so maybe you will spend 250 maybe more or less but thats about as cheap as it will get
and with the paint it will look sweet..

you cant screw it up unless you get a run. then your screwed.

I painted many bikes, thats my preference .. the recent cars I painted were my sons challenger, my vette and my others sons GTO.. I dont like big projects. and when paint is costing 1200.00+ you need to know what your doing....................................
if you used this paint ever.(99busa) you would know what I am talking about:laugh:
the advise I give you is the a simple way to go with minimal cost to match it's appearance with the lack of painting experience .. the hlvp gun you'll use will be a mini gun (touchup gun)
this is your call..

I know your on a budget, not everyone knows how to lay paint.. but you want to be sitting on a busa with real paint, not from a spray can..

when your doing this take your time in the prep work.. gets a video on how to paint to educate yourself, I think you would enjoy just seeing how others lay paint. . the paint I mentioned is a single stage fast drying paint..

this is a very good forum for you to ask question about painting, materials ect ect. if you have any questions or concerns about painting, go here.Welcome To Autobodystore.com there the best in regards of bodywork and painting tehnique..

Picture or Video 118.jpg

DSC06173.JPG

DSC06176.JPG

DSC06185.JPG

kats truck.jpg

Great paint job on the challenger. I know how to do it rite but we are talking about cheap here. If it were mine i would water sand it with 400 grit and probably paint it with akrilic enamal. Base clear is the best but takes more time and experience. The way i see it, if your going flat black completely why spend a lot of money on it. Wish i had pics of the 550l i painted but i sold it and stupid me didn't take pics. Just trying to help get u out cheap as possible. I agree with with most though, Save up and get a good paint job, You'll be glad you did in the long run.

We all have tough times now and again, but for the love of God dont ruin your bike. Wait til you can afford to get it done by someone who knows how to paint. Otherwise you will prolly ruin your bike and have to get it fixed anyway. I'm just sayin..........:whistle:

We all have tough times now and again, but for the love of God dont ruin your bike. Wait til you can afford to get it done by someone who knows how to paint. Otherwise you will prolly ruin your bike and have to get it fixed anyway. I'm just sayin..........:whistle:

Ya you can send it to this GREAT shop in ........what was that shop called again Sam:laugh:

wow ok :bowdown: its not all the prep work sanding re sanding that i worry about its the actual laying down of the paint, at work we paint I-beams and stuff and mine usually have tons of runs. i just dont want my bike to look like i painted it and air dried it by taking for a ride down the highway. i do have some Paint damage not any body thank goodness, from where the feet trolls took my feet out from under me and flop there went the bike on its side(Aholes) thasnks for the website 74madvette, hahaha now im not sure what im gonna do made my decisions harder, but the ultimate goal is not F up the busa she is way to pretty

Just to throw another option out there... I wanted to get mine painted too, but I'm also a bit poor. I think I'm going to get a wrap. Much cheaper than paint. Looks like paint and lasts 5-7 years. They can put ANYTHING you want on the wrap and it goes right over the paint and actually protects it. I live in wisconsin and there is a place by me called road rage customs.

One thing about painting ... many of us don't know how to do it, but we can sure tell when it's not done correctly ....

Back