construction dude,builder,carpenter...

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
I think thats how you spell it... Hardi-Plank. The House-Mouse's sister has a home that has siding on it. The siding is made from some compressed krap called Hardi Board.

The shid needs paint.

Ol' Rubb will be a nice guy and take a week off work and paint her house...thing is....no knowledge of Hardi plank.

How do I prep it,what do I want to paint it with(brush,roller,gun) ? what type of paint(oil,stain,latex)?

Whats this shid made from....old cardboard? recycled newspapers?

anyone with "The Knowledge"...

gr8ly appreciated.... thx... da Rubb.

thx Pipe....thx Cache Dilemma....

all need now now is Prep Advice...

wash,pressure wash,TSP,soap n' water,light sanding,120 grit,varsol....?

anybody?

Rub be careful putting water on those compressed board materials ,they will absorb it and swell like a sponge

Did you read my original link?
Preparation
Patch all dents, chips and cracks with a
cementuous type patching material such as Durhams Rock Hard Putty. Prior to painting, clean
cement siding with a low-pressure water spray or a medium bristle (nonmetal) brush. Let the
surface dry for 2-4 days after washing to allow drying. If you are re-painting cement board
siding, be sure to remove all contaminants such as dirt, grime and chalk prior to painting.
Painting Options
Repaint: On a re-paint job spot prime any bare areas with a 100% Acrylic primer such as
Diamond Vogel® Sure Grip® or Weather-Plate® Primer followed by 1 or 2 coats of 100% Acrylic
Latex paint such as Diamond Vogel® Exterior Permacryl®, Weather-Plate® or All Season
finishes.
Pre-primed: Some cement siding companies offer their siding with a pre-primed option. In this
case, be sure the surface is clean and free of all contaminants and coat with 1 or 2 coats of
100% Acrylic Latex paint such as Exterior Permacryl®, Weather-Plate® or All Season® finishes.
Apply 2 coats for increased durability.
Unprimed: When painting unprimed cement siding, follow the preparation instructions above
prior to painting. The use of a 100% Acrylic Primer such as Diamond Vogel® Sure Grip® or
Weather-Plate® primer would be recommended. We then recommend finishing with 100%
Acrylic Latex paint such as Diamond Vogel® Exterior Permacryl®, Weather-Plate® or All
Season®. For increased durability, two coats of finish are recommended.[/QUOTE]

I'm a builder and use the stuff all of the time. It's great, especially here in florida where the bugs and moisture really attack traditional wood siding. You have to prep it right, but once it's up you never have to worry about it except for freshening up the paint every 10 years or so.

As far as what it's made out of, it's a concrete based material with reinforcing fibers in it. It's very heavy as a result.

Composite fibers mixed with cement... I think. Do more research before you paint it some people say you should use an oil base primer... paint then seal. Not to sure about this stuff though... I can check with a friend of mine tomorrow and get back to you.

Composite fibers mixed with cement... I think.  Do more research before you paint it some people say you should use an oil base primer... paint then seal.  Not to sure about this stuff though... I can check with a friend of mine tomorrow and get back to you.
well thanks dude.

you seem new too "these parts"...

and to think, you... without a Rubbah nick-name...

So far... I'm leaning towards "The Colonel"

"Colonel Nathan R. Jessup, Commanding Officer,Ground Forces,Guantonamo Cuba".

That movie rocked. Jack Nickolson rocks.

thx man, I appreciate the effort. hav a good 1...RSD.

Not a problem... spoke to a buddy who is a painter and he said that as long as the house has the right vapor lock... moisture barrier. It is okay to paint with an acrylic paint... but it is a good idea to use a weather/sealant primer/paint. He said that it (hardiplank) is virtually the same product as what Certainteed produces for composite siding and that the only danger is if the house "sweats" or shows signs of moisture penetration which causes mold and or an algea like substance if sealed incorrectly at time of installation. I would assume that if there house shows no signs of that now you are safe to follow Hardi's "how to Paint instructions".
On another note are you close to Charleston Lake? It is thirty to fourty mins. from Watertown NY. My brother in law's family has a little Island on that lake.
Hope this helps... And that was a great movie!

Back