Exploring the sacramento river delta on a busa

pashnit

Donating Member
Site Sponsor
Registered
This spring of '06 in California has proved to be one of the wettest on record locally, it seems as though it has been raining for weeks on end, but if you know anything about California weather, these massive storms (3-4 days straight of rain) come in waves, then inbetween them, we have this glorious sunshine, perfect temps in the 50-60's, and puffy white clouds.

So with pictures of broken levees on the brain, I wanted to see all this water, and shoot some photography of the Sacramento River Delta. Years ago, I lived in downtown Sacramento & did this ride often, since the levee roads are only moments away from downtown. Watching the weather, a day of sunshine was predicted.

The day before my planned ride, I awoke, looked out the window and saw this.
sad.gif
Sheesh.

Img_1283-snowtrees.jpg

<!--EDIT|pashnit
Reason for Edit: None given...|1144485175 -->

But then again, all you have to do is wait 24 hrs, and it all magically heads off to Nevada somewhere.
smile.gif
The next morning, all that white stuff had melted already, and the sun came out. Just in the nick of time, could really use a ride. I finally reach South River Road, which starts off from West Sacramento, and is just minutes from Interstate 80 & downtown Sacramento. The Tower Bridge, it looked as though the river water was only mere feet from the bottom.

No need to be in a hurry, just enjoying the ride today. Cruisers love this road, I was the only sportbike I saw today.

Img_1318-busa.jpg

Compare with the panoramic, if you look closely, you can see how high the water is compared to the land at right...

Scroll -->
IMG_1319-500.jpg

South River Road is also a favorite with the bicyclists. All flat, gently curving and great scenery. I always stop by this silo thingy. Seems the owner of this place has a real fascination with Ferrari's. He has the emblem painted multiple times all over this thing. It's been like this for years and years.

Img_1322-bicyclists.jpg

With all this recent national attention about levees and flooding- and then that attention turning to the levees that flow right through the heart of Sacramento, I always have to wonder about the homes- these are built right up against the levee. What you are looking at is the 2nd floor of these homes in a region of Sacramento called 'The Pocket Area', which literally is surrounded by water on three sides.

Img_1328-house.jpg

Makin' south...

Img_1329.jpg

There are a handful of people that do live on the river in their boats year round. Little too confining for me.

Img_1337-boats.jpg

The Sacramento River Delta is also home to just a plethora of historic homes and old Victorian style farmhouses. Many are really fixed up, and just a pleasure to look at.

Img_1406-house.jpg

Some get interesting like this one... Note that while standing on the levee, I'm looking at the second floor of the home.

Img_1331-tallhouse.jpg

This old house was georgeous. Also note the height of the river, since the house actually sits atop the levee.

Img_1344-house.jpg

Many of the business' in the local towns have been there a long time, and eek out a living on tourist traffic and the local farmers. Always feel like I'm stepping into the 1950's at times. Opie is going to jump out at any second and say, "Hey Pa!"

Img_1340-hardware.jpg

Obligatory Busa shot. I think it gets better looking with age.
biggrin.gif

Img_1334-busa.jpg

Quite a few old boats too. This one on the left, has been there for years and years, always reminds me of one of those old movies from the 50's.

Img_1348-boats.jpg

Aside from the old Victorian homes, there are also quite a few draw bridges to get back and forth across the Sacramento River.

Img_1335.jpg

Img_1352-drawbridge.jpg

Check out that hunk of concrete sitting up there.

Img_1353-drawbridge.jpg

One thing I did notice was the DWR work truck (Dept of Water Resources), or rather trucks, plural, going up and down the levee, something I've never seen before. I suppose they where actually 'patrolling'. When a levee like this breaks, it doesn't 'break' in the classical sense. Typically, on the side, water seepage through the levee is so great from the underside of the levee getting so saturated with water, it permeates through the levee and bubbles up on the opposite site. The bubbling continues till the levee soil is waterlogged and just collapses.

Water, water everywhere. If you really look at this one, it seems the water really isn't all that far from the top. Maybe 6-10 feet.

Scroll -->
IMG_1342-500.jpg

'Bout this time, thought I'd explore Grand Island Road. As mentioned, it's said there are tons of levee roads in the Central Valley, some really decaying and potholed. Often you can ride all over the place on the levee roads and never really get anywhere. Often times they just go in a complete circle even.

Img_1355-grandisland.jpg

Below all these levees everywhere you go is this. Orchards. Endless miles of them. This fella was out spraying his trees.

What's interesting to note is that all this land is below the water. What you are looking at is actually referred to as an 'island'. Which is a bit odd, since it's the opposite of the image you have inside your head of something like Hawaii. But this land, these orchards, are surrounded by water on all four sides. And the strangest thing of all is some really smart person has deduced these islands are sinking, and no one knows what to do about it. And no, I have no idea how they come up with that sort of stuff.

Img_1356.jpg

Grand Island Rd is just one of many little country farm trails. There's nothing out here, not much of interest, the roads don't really go anywhere, and often times as mentioned, they'll actually go in a complete circle. Just to the west of here, there's another levee that borders the southern portion of the Deep Water Shipping Channel, which is the ocean going vessels (smaller ones actually) coming up a man-made channel up to the Port of Sacramento which was dug in 1949 and completed in 1960.

Img_1357.jpg

Okay, so I take that 'nothing' comment back, sometimes you stumble onto something like this. Have to do a double take...

Img_1358-mansion.jpg

The Historic Grand Island Mansion, circa 1917 - http://www.grandislandmansion.com/

Img_1361-mansion.jpg

The delta's historic Grand Island Mansion is a uniquely spectacular Italian Renaissance style villa. The Mansion is the largest private estate in northern California, and embodies the finest features of classical architecture and European craftsmanship.

The four-story, 24,000 square foot 58 room villa is centrally located on Grand Island in the lush delta region east of the San Francisco Bay. The mansion was designed by J.W. Dolliver, the renowned San Francisco architect, in 1917 for Louis Meyers, a native of San Francisco, and his wife, Audrey, daughter of Lubin of the Weinstock Lubin department stores.

Louis Meyers, an Orchardist, built the house as the centerpiece of his Orchard Empire and as a place to entertain his society guests who arrived by riverboat, such as author Erle Stanley Gardiner. The Grand Island Mansion has recently undergone extensive restoration under the direction of Terrence Black, great-nephew of the original architect, making the private estate the premier facility for weddings, receptions, corporate retreats, business conferences and private events. Immediate plans for the future include full spa services in the elegant style of a bygone era.

Guests can entertain in the private English Hunt lounge and bar, overlooking the spacious interior courtyard Colonnade room with fountains, vaulted ceiling and Moorish arches. The historic house was built by the finest craftsmen from Europe and has five marble fireplaces, inlaid parquet flooring, rare handmade tile work throughout, imported wood paneling, luxurious period furnishings and authentic artwork. Other amenities include a heliport, tennis court, basketball court, private docks and classical Italian gardens.

The Mansion has been featured in such publications as National Geographic, Sunset Magazine, Architectural Digest, Playboy Magazine, Victoria's Secret Catalog, and Macy's Furniture Catalog.[/QUOTE]

Never know what you're going to find when out exploring. Then it was off to explore some more.

Img_1380-clouds.jpg

The story of the levees goes something like this: Padre Juan Crespi' and Pedro Fages arrived in the area in 1772 finding so much water, they thought the Central Valley was actually the Sea of California. However, farmers settling the area discovered the silt deposited by this yearly flooding provided extremely fertile land. Unfortunately, the frequent & unpredictable floods destroyed entire crops, and at times entire towns. The city of Sacramento flooded so many times that the townspeople filled the streets and the first floor of their residences, with dirt. Today in Historic Old Sacramento, a short walk from the state capital building, the streets are actually the level of the second floor of the original buildings.

When Chinese immigrants who built the first transcontinental railroad finished up the job in 1869, this labor force soldiered on by beginning the monumental task to build miles of levees to hold the American and San Joaquin Rivers. All by hand with wheelbarrows and shovels, later to be replaced with the clamshell dredge. The project, like the railroads, was massive. 700 miles worth of rivers, tributaries, sloughs.

It took the Chinese 60 years to build the 700 miles of levees in California's Central Valley, but the result was massive amounts of farmland- over 700,000 acres of river delta, swamps and sloughs were converted. Miles and miles of orchards sprang up. The pictures you see today of these levees are what they built, many of it untouched for the last 100 years.

While there's plenty of draw bridges, not always. In this case, there's a ferry that's there to get you to the other side.

Img_1365-ferry.jpg

Have throw up 'nother pic of the busa. Can't have too many of those.
muscle.gif

Img_1366-busa.jpg

Grand Island Rd comes to an end & I cross over to the other side of the river.

Scroll-->
IMG_1389-500.jpg

Once had someone email me about this. They were headed for the River Delta, and worried about all the bridges. All of them are metal grates and they heard all sorts of bad stuff about them. Ah well, just point the bike to the other side, and steady throttle across. See, easy.

Img_1385-grates.jpg

If you like old history, then you definitely have swing by Locke, practically a decaying ghost town it would seem. Tin Sin Chan founded Locke when he erected the first building, a saloon, in 1912. Three years later when parts of nearby Walnut Grove burned down rendering the Chinese homeless, rancher George Locke leased parts of his ranch to the Chinese and the town of Locke took hold of permanence. Today, Locke looks like this. The entire main street is maybe a city block long, that's all there is.

If it looks like that house is ready to fall over, it is.

Img_1394-Lock.jpg

A muesum, an art gallery or two, and lots of boarded up storefronts. All the second floors are level with the levee, which these building butt up against on the other side.

Img_1396-Lock.jpg

Img_1398-busa.jpg

Wee bit more history in nearby Courtland, here's the courthouse built up on its elevated foundation (I'm standing on the levee & the river is right behind me).

Img_1401-courtland.jpg

Okay, okay, I knew you were waiting for the carnage and chaos.

Img_1391-flooding.jpg

This lil trailer park is actually below the levee, on the river side. Always have to wonder about the logic of stuff like this.

Img_1392-flooding.jpg

Well, that's all folks. I read somewhere in March '06, it rained 25 out of 31 days. Even as I write this, another massive storm is heading in off the Pacific, and it's suppose to rain for the next week.
sad.gif
Let's hope all these levees hold.

And don't forget about all the massive amounts of snow up in the Sierra Nevada.

Img_1408-hoops.jpg

All that snow has to melt and head right past this basketball hoop.

eek2.gif
eek2.gif
eek2.gif
eek2.gif
eek2.gif

eek2.gif

eek2.gif

eek2.gif

eek2.gif

Excellent pictures and history - Thanks! It never ceases to amaze me to learn how other crazy places have been inhabited.
tounge.gif

Once again Pashnit with an Excellent write up and PICS!!
cool.gif
Thanks for sharing!

Back