Ever feel like you're riding scared. Or just way beyond your level?

I never got this? Highway exits are the worse place to run at speed. They are typically improperly engineered, very little room for error, and due to slope the grid, sand and road trash collect there. Also they don't resurface them because it's difficult with the slope. This is usually where I ride the slowest......

Whenever I am feeling like I am having an "off" day, I stay off the bikes. I am a pretty poor rider to begin with since I do not get enough time in the saddle so I don't push my luck. I never ride unless I can concentrate on the ride and enjoy it. I stay away from riding with the guys who push it to the limits since my riding limits are pretty low. The roads are getting to be worse everyday with all the cagers preoccupied with their dam phones, you have to be prepared for anything.

Jim

Yeah you simply get rusty is all. Get back in the saddle and get your groove back.

My first ride in a long time off and I sort of have to clear the cobwebs off my brain. Then I remember to relax when you remember that right "feel".

I never got this? Highway exits are the worse place to run at speed. They are typically improperly engineered, very little room for error, and due to slope the grid, sand and road trash collect there. Also they don't resurface them because it's difficult with the slope. This is usually where I ride the slowest......

I never got this? Highway exits are the worse place to run at speed. They are typically improperly engineered, very little room for error,

Exactly.

RSD.

whenever i am feeling like i am having an "off" day, i stay off the bikes. I am a pretty poor rider to begin with since i do not get enough time in the saddle so i don't push my luck. I never ride unless i can concentrate on the ride and enjoy it. I stay away from riding with the guys who push it to the limits since my riding limits are pretty low. The roads are getting to be worse everyday with all the cagers preoccupied with their dam phones, you have to be prepared for anything.

Jim

...........:bowdown:

rsd.

Chiming in, I too experience that, so you're far from alone. I've been more aware of it lately. I have usually thought of it as an off day and cut the ride short. I do avoid riding on days when I'm tired.

I tried something the other day, and it worked really well. I had it, then lost it and decided to stop and get something to eat. I tried adjusting my focus as to what I wanted to pay more attention. Sort of a decision to hyper-focus on the riding and my lines while shutting everything else out. Also sort of like a shift from riding defensively to taking control and charging. (Something like a 'beats on chest' moment:) ) Anyway I was going to call it a day if it continued, but instead my best riding of the day was right after that. I was in a controlled environment at the time, so that made it less dangerous to take my attention off the surroundings and other riders/drivers. I was just really happy it worked and I had forced this old brain to get back in sync with the bike:) I'll be trying a version of that the next time I seem to have lost my mojo:)

BTW I've gone from riding at 35psi to 42psi over the past couple weeks trying to decide what felt right. I settled on 40. Although at no point was I able to feel a difference in traction, it was just more sluggish to whip around at the lower pressures. I'm still tweaking, but I think suspension has more to do with that jittery, bike is trying to tell me it's about to loose it feeling. Which feels exactly like when I'm having an off day.

Glad you posted this, I was wondering if it was another sign of aging or time to stick to 4 wheels. Hopefully this means it's fairly normal and just something to be gauged like road conditions:)

i experience this every time i ride to be honest with you...at least for the first 10 minutes or so....My thought process is are the tires warm correct air was my walk around done properly, what F'in idiot is going to try to kill me today...

Doesn't matter what bike you're on. If you have an "off" day and we all do, get off the bike. It doesn't matter whether it's a Busa or a Bagger or a moped. Any of them will cause us to have to send flowers.

had an "off day" on my father in laws bmw. it's a little scratched up. i haven't ridden my bike since june of last year, and with the 50 additional hp i'm getting it back with, i'm scared ****less now, lol.

Rode better today...guess why.???

Rear tire pressure 22 PSI front tire 24 PSI.

:rofl:

...and giving Rubb a hard time start's now....

RSD.

RSD.

Don't feel bad. Same thing happened to me on one of the last nice days of fall last year. Cold and overcast in the morning, sunny and almost 80 at lunch time. I live close to work so I switch the car for the bike at lunch and tell the wife I'm taking the long way home. But that's all I did, switch, I didn't check or even think about the tires that had been sitting for almost three weeks and although my bike lives in the garage it had been considerably colder and tire pressure sucked. I was three turns into one of my favorite alternate routes home and decided to pack it in just get home. Didn't check the pressure till the next weekend and like you, it was in the 20's. I guess you live and learn. Tire pressure is at the top of my list now and I always check it before I ride or the night before if I know I'm riding the next day but the way my brain works it wouldn't surprise me if it fell off my radar and some point and I had to learn my lesson all over again...

RSD.

hahaha, i went to an advanced riders course 22/22, rode like a completely different bike after the instructor had me air up to 42/42

Rule # 1 Before departing give your ride a once over including tire pressure. Why? You could have something stuck in the tire you didn't see and now your tire is starting to lose pressure.

#2 Never give another motorist a chance to F you up. Now, that seems almost impossible and it is because sooner or later you will have a few moments of vunerability in traffic especially with left turners.

#3 Corner carving... Start out easy and work your way up... you can always speed up as compared to the times you can't slow down.

#4 Drive slow on the straights and go faster in the corners. This way cars in front of you can open up a little space so you can hit the corners faster. I thank Red for teaching me that one and it works very well most of the time.

#5. On multi lane highways that are busy don't drive in the middle lanes. Lanes are numbered left to right. On a 4 lane the left lane is number 1 and the right lane is number 4.

When traffic is busy stay on the edge with a clear visual wheel track ahead of you. This keeps you from not seeing ladders, mattresses, and all the other junk that ends up in the road occassionally. It also gives you an option if everything goes to ****.

6. Flash your high beam when approaching drivers waiting to turn onto your roadway. Just because their looking your way doesn't mean they see you. Shadow the brakes and slow to a comfortable speed. I don't give people a chance to mess me up.

All for now... just my basic rules for riding.

Back