EK 3D Chains.

Hi guys.Any of you used one of these?Do they rust?Are they all metal as they look a little coated but that could be the 3d effect.They are expensive but my bus is starting to get some nice treatment and might keep it going with one of these bad boys.
I love the EK 3D. Had them for years. But the recent batches of the gold chain suck balls. Flaking of the electroplating and small rust buildup. My friend has the gold and black and that one doesn't have issues. Just stay away from all gold for now.

I've had a gold one on my ZX-14 for a year and it's fine. The gold finish color is what I had a problem with so far. It's a bit light in color compared to most gold's you see on motorcycle parts.

Get a ZVX. It's a better chain and it's stronger. I'll bet it's lighter than a 3D too. The Z3D I put on my ZX-14 was a tad heavier than the old ZZZ when it was installed ten years ago. The ZVX is probably very similar to the discontinued ZZZ. I got a black ZVX for my busa. Still have not cut and weighed it. The gold finish on the ZVX looks very nice from what I have seen and both inner and outer plates are colored gold. I think the Black ZVX I have for the busa has silver or gold inner plates, it's not all black.

Here's the Z3D I have on my ZX-14. You might see how pale it looks compared to the sprocket. It's even a little more noticeable in real life.
EK.Z3D.chain.jpg

I love the EK 3D. Had them for years. But the recent batches of the gold chain suck balls. Flaking of the electroplating and small rust buildup. My friend has the gold and black and that one doesn't have issues. Just stay away from all gold for now.
It's the black and gold I like.They are quite expensive though.
Where are they made?If US then the tax and shipping would be crazy

I've had a gold one on my ZX-14 for a year and it's fine. The gold finish color is what I had a problem with so far. It's a bit light in color compared to most gold's you see on motorcycle parts.

Get a ZVX. It's a better chain and it's stronger. I'll bet it's lighter than a 3D too. The Z3D I put on my ZX-14 was a tad heavier than the old ZZZ when it was installed ten years ago. The ZVX is probably very similar to the discontinued ZZZ. I got a black ZVX for my busa. Still have not cut and weighed it. The gold finish on the ZVX looks very nice from what I have seen and both inner and outer plates are colored gold. I think the Black ZVX I have for the busa has silver or gold inner plates, it's not all black.

Here's the Z3D I have on my ZX-14. You might see how pale it looks compared to the sprocket. It's even a little more noticeable in real life.
View attachment 1641394
I'll take a look at the zvx mate.I like the more pale gold on your 14 chain as the usual gold is a little gaudy in comparison.

I agree with @Mythos thoughts and opinion on chain choice , I run the EK ZVX 530 black / gold on both the Busa and ZX14R streetbikes . I find that both bikes only require minimal chain adjustment maintenance because chain stretch and tight spot is very good on this super strong chain . I just keep the chain clean , and lubed up , the black contrast gold is attractive which is excellent bonus . I did weigh a 530 ( still have a brand new ZVX in metallic green ) but cant find my details of this , but it is still a heavy o ring chain .
IMG_20210719_175623.jpg
IMG_20190317_142006.jpg

I agree with @Mythos thoughts and opinion on chain choice , I run the EK ZVX 530 black / gold on both the Busa and ZX14R streetbikes . I find that both bikes only require minimal chain adjustment maintenance because chain stretch and tight spot is very good on this super strong chain . I just keep the chain clean , and lubed up , the black contrast gold is attractive which is excellent bonus . I did weigh a 530 ( still have a brand new ZVX in metallic green ) but cant find my details of this , but it is still a heavy o ring chain .
View attachment 1641400View attachment 1641401
How many links for a standard busa?

So when ordering a chain would you order the 114 or more?I've worked on engine internals but never changed a chain lol

Yes, definantly.
When you "cut" the chain/press out a link, you are essentially removing 2 links in order to able to press the 2 different link ends together.
Make sure you have a Quality chain press tool!

I think this is why 116 links always sticks in my head.
Because I can order that for stock almost anything and it be right with a couple to spare.

Yes, definantly.
When you "cut" the chain/press out a link, you are essentially removing 2 links in order to able to press the 2 different link ends together.
Make sure you have a Quality chain press tool!

I think this is why 116 links always sticks in my head.
Because I can order that for stock almost anything and it be right with a couple to spare.
I just ordered a black/gold 3d 530 pitch and 120 links.
I'll probably give it to a guy I know to do it.I've done so much to this bike I'm kinda sick of working on it lol.Thanks for the help.

Back