Need a new chain --ZZZ 530 discontinued ?

AJ FLAY

Registered
Hi,

Getting some work done to my bike and gonna put a new chain. I was told to look for a DID ZZZ 530. I searched the posts here and I saw someone say the ZZZ was replaced by the EK 3D. But that chain is like $260 Is the ZVX3 the replacement for the ZZZ ? Any info would be appreciated. And any suggestions on the best place to buy one ?

Thanks !!

I was told the 3D is slightly heavier than the ZZZ. If you can find one, I would get it. I've had one on my 14 for 30k miles and it has stretched hardly at all. The only time I needed to adjust it was when the sprockets were new. Other than that, I hardly ever touched it except to clean and lube it.

I have the ZVX3
DSC_0874.JPG
1514401215375.jpg
DSC_0863.JPG
DSC_0864.JPG
1513562433441.jpg

I had an EK ZVX2 X-Ring(black with gold pins,$200)and only ran it for about 2,000 miles before getting the 3D,would've stayed with the ZVX2 but like a dumb ass bought the 120 link length and then a couple months later got a 2"-6" over Evil swing arm so had to get another(longer/140 link)chain.

Got my 3D through Ball Z for around $230 but now see them on their site for $197(figures:laugh:),though they say currently out of stock.

http://www.ballzmotorsports.com/EK-ThreeD-3D-Z-530-Pitch-120-Link-Premium-Chain-p/693-1620bk.htm

Hi,

Getting some work done to my bike and gonna put a new chain. I was told to look for a DID ZZZ 530. I searched the posts here and I saw someone say the ZZZ was replaced by the EK 3D. But that chain is like $260 Is the ZVX3 the replacement for the ZZZ ? Any info would be appreciated. And any suggestions on the best place to buy one ?

Thanks !!

Just a thought bro,if you think you might eventually go to a longer arm(like up to a 4"-6" over)buy a 140 or so link now and punch out the extra links,can always add the section later rather than buying another new chain like I had to.

Think the 3d is supposed to be lighter and stronger than zzz.
sketchy but my memory is good on this stuff. I had a ZX-14 owner tell me his was slightly heavier than stock. The zzz was slightly lighter and that i know because I weighed it. We're talking like an ounce here but if you're into splitting hairs...

sketchy but my memory is good on this stuff. I had a ZX-14 owner tell me his was slightly heavier than stock. The zzz was slightly lighter and that i know because I weighed it. We're talking like an ounce here but if you're into splitting hairs...
From motomummy description of the EK 3D.
If you're after the absolute best this is it. The EK ZZZ is the strongest and longest lasting chain on the market right now. This new 3D chain retains the same strength and life as the EK ZZZ yet is our lighest EK chain by a mile. Super strong, super long lasting, yet super light. EK spent years in the development and figuring out the production of this chain to ensure it's one of the lightest 520 chains on the market, but also the strongest and longesting lasting.
This chain is 4.4lbs compared to EK MVXZ at 4.85lbs.

I know it mentions 520 and not 530 but I don't see why the weight savings wouldn't carry over to the 530 if you were comparing 530 to 530.

This new 3D chain retains the same strength and life as the EK ZZZ yet is our lighest EK chain by a mile.
I think I read that years ago--I just have this feeling it's not true if you compare to an ordinary chain of same # of links. What I recall is that my friend told me 'I think it's a little heavier than stock'. Apparently he did not get the exact weight before he installed it. He mentioned the rounded outer plates with lack of lightening holes and that this might be the reason for his perception that it was heavier than the zzz. I'd be careful if lightest weight is really important to you no matter what the ad says. I am considering the 3D because I really want a black chain that will last and stand up to boost if necessary. I'm enough of a weight freak that I would send it back if it didn't weigh less than the ZZZ. These chains are built to last and it will be many years before they need to be replaced with something that offers better weight reduction.

This chain is 4.4lbs compared to EK MVXZ at 4.85lbs.
The MVXZ is EK's cheap chain. No lightening holes...don't know about metallurgy or plate thickness but weight reduction might not have been much of a priority. I hate to sound paranoid but in my investigations of chain weight I found what info that was available online to be very ambiguous. With a chain that comes in si many links and different pitches, it would be easy to sway the figures.

Just sayin', be careful if you're counting on even a small weight loss. I hope somebody can post a pic of a 3D on the scale before I buy.

Here's my zzz with 118 pins. The stock chain (DID) it replaced on my ZX-14 weighed 5 lb 10.3 oz but it had one less link and was fully worn out by chain length test and likely lost at least some inner lube with the worn o-rings. I imagine comparing new OEM to new ZZZ same # of links, the ZZZ would come in an ounce or two lighter. I'd love to see how the 3D weighs in.

thumb_118pinEKZZZ_1024.jpg

Last edited:
http://www.ekchain.jp/product/

here's an example of chain weight ambiguity. The data sheet says 64.85 oz/100pin on the EK zzz 530

I weighed that chain. 80.74 oz/118 pin.

Do the math, EK is reporting its chain to weigh .0360 oz per pin less than what I found it to actually weigh and that is a good scale I have.

So what's the big deal about a .0360 oz/pin discrepancy? It ads up to 3 and a half oz when multiplied by 100 pins and that to me matters.

I'm just going to have to buy the 3D and weigh it myself.

Mythos if you can wait about 2-3 weeks when I next see my parents I can measure about a 6in section of 3D chain. Then using the math you could figure out the weight of a full chain.

Wonder if the chain weight is Dry or wet weight LMAO
There's another way they could manipulate the figures!

It is rotating mass. Every ounce counts!

Then using the math you could figure out the weight of a full chain.
LOL -- I sure could! Put some lube on it, that would amount to a few grams. Weigh in grams if possible. I'll convert the final calculation to oz to compare to my ZZZ.

Chain might have enough variation in weight / link that six inches would not provide a good enough specimen for an highly accurate comparison but it is definitely better than nothing. Post up when you get the weight. It will give us a close idea at least. If it's way heavy, that's enough to dissuade me. I probably would still order a full 120 pin just to weigh it if it's close. I might still have my short cut off section of extra ZZZ chain stored away. I could weigh that.

I'm clicking WATCH. I hope that gives notifications. Send a PM when you get that 6" 3D weighed, 04LE.

Back