new chain advise

jch364

Registered
I didnt want to hijack someone elses thread on the chain subject so i decided to start my own. I need to replace my chain and needed help with a couple of things. I have a stock 06 busa but it now has a 1397 kit. so my hp is about 195 and 119ftlbs of torque. so i was thinking of a ek 530 zzz chain with 11,100 ftpounds of tensile strength. I was also looking at the EK 530z 3d. what are the thoughts on these?
Also do i have to have a rivet master link or can i use a clip?
if i have to have a master link rivet then were do i get a really good quality too? what does it cost?
thanks in advance

I can tell you this much - you WILL need a chain tool.

You can't just use a clip on the master link.

I'm in the market for one too.
Google it and you will find some.

I found that the better ones cost between $50-100.
Thing is, there are so many mixed reviews.

Someone here will be along soon and be able to shed more light on a good one I hope.

I myself seem to have better luck with D.I.D. chains (530 ZVM-X). You need to stay with the riveted master link. The master link will come with the new chain. If your changing chains I would suggest new sprockets (I prefer Supersprox sprockets, at least on the rear).

schnitz racing has the 530z 3d i think im inclined to get. I assume the 120 pin would do it.
plan on getting a front sprocket as well. I have a 40 on the back now but going to a 39 that i have already with very few miles on it

I myself seem to have better luck with D.I.D. chains (530 ZVM-X). You need to stay with the riveted master link. The master link will come with the new chain. If your changing chains I would suggest new sprockets (I prefer Supersprox sprockets, at least on the rear).

+1 ^^ The DID ZVMx2 is a great chain, almost no stretch and very long life. :thumbsup:

To the OP,, use a rivet link. The motion pro pbr tool works good for the disassemble of the old chain and reassembly of the new chain. Be sure to get the spec that the master link rivet is supposed to be expanded to.

schnitz racing has the 530z 3d i think im inclined to get. I assume the 120 pin would do it.
plan on getting a front sprocket as well. I have a 40 on the back now but going to a 39 that i have already with very few miles on it

If I remember correctly a stock chain uses 112 links. So yes the 120 link chain would work.

The 530 ek x 3d chain is very nice with the black and gold. I got mine for 199.00. I run the super sprocket 18/ 40. Be careful with the front sprocket I put on the standard sprocket, And picked up a lot of trans gear noise so went back to the factory sprocket. The motion pro is a good chain tool.

I just did a front, rear sprocket change as well as a DID chain and used the Cycle Gear chain tool and it worked like a champ, no probs.

i bought a harbor freight chain tool...made a bracket to press the link together then use the pusher to "rivet" it...on my 2nd chain doing this...

I ordered my 3d from motomummy. I believe they have the best prices on that chain. I got the black and gold.

Yes very good price motomummy. I just road tested mine after putting the stock front pulley back on. The trans is quite again.

after buying a cheap chain and having it ruin my bike i now run a EK ZVX2 chain. it has never streched in the 8000miles its been on. pretty good price also

If you wanna buy it all one place, contact me. The zzz is way over rated. We have replaced more of those with the zvx2 zst model chain and they are still on bikes with 8k miles and chain never needed adjusting... get quality service when you buy parts here.. we can do chain sprockets, tools and all..Some parts in stock ready to ship today..

Back