Earbuds in your helmet

Scooter

Registered
I usually wear earbuds in my helmet so I can listen to my iPod during commutes. The problem is, they don't stay-put when I put my helmet on. They always wiggle out of the ear just enough so that I have to turn the volume WAY up just to hear the music. (Of course the fidelity sucks when the buds aren't all the way in the ear.)

Anyway, the earbuds that came with my iPod aren't staying in my ears, so I thought I'd ask the H.org collective to see if there are any buds out there that work great in helmets.

I use some Koss in-ear headphones. They're kind of like earplugs so they stay put when you put the helmet on.

Yeah, <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Koss-The-Plug-Etymotic-ER4-Hybrid-Isolation-Earphones_W0QQitemZ5813930865QQcategoryZ73841Q
QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">Koss</a> should work.

I must have tried a dozen different head phones/earbud combinations over the years. Earbuds SUCK, can't keep them in my ears during normal use let alone while putting on a helmet.
Hard to squeeze the helmet on over a set of headphones and once on it's a tight fit as my Bieffe GPR has no speaker pockets. What starts off as uncomfortable ends up as painful after an hour. Earbuds with the band that goes under your chin is no better.

Last week I was in Target and picked up a set of Phillips headphones. They were on clearance for $10 bucks so I figured I'd give them a try.
Finally something that works! The band that goes over each ear keeps them in place while putting the helmet on and they're so thin I can't even feel them. Inside piece is soft foam. They sound fairly good too!

Last edited by a moderator:
i bought a pair of sony earbuds at radio shack , fifty bucks but well worth it comes with like 3 different attachments to fit in your ear , i have worn these on long rides for more than10 hrs at a clip , dont even know they are there , sound quality is unbelevable:D
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

I use an iPod as well but change the earbuds to Shure E2C. Works great, sounds awesome, does not fall off, fills up the ear cavity and effectively blocks noise at the same time.

e2c_large.jpg

i bought a pair of sony earbuds  at radio shack , fifty bucks but well worth it  comes with like 3 different attachments  to fit in your ear , i have worn these on long rides for more than10 hrs at a clip , dont even know they are there , sound quality is unbelevable:D
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
I have the same Sonys. Sound is unbelievable from a small speaker. I got mine at Walmart for around $35.

biggrin.gif

i bought a pair of sony earbuds  at radio shack , fifty bucks but well worth it  comes with like 3 different attachments  to fit in your ear , i have worn these on long rides for more than10 hrs at a clip , dont even know they are there , sound quality is unbelevable:D
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
I have the same Sonys. Sound is unbelievable from a small speaker. I got mine at Walmart for around $35.
Using the Sony's too and nothing but praise for these things. Comfort and sound are awesome and I don't ride without them.
smile.gif

biggrin.gif

I USE THE SONY EAR BUDS AND THEY WORK GREAT! THEY RUN ABOUT $50 AND NO COMPLAINTS. I USE MINE W/ MY XM MYFI.

I just velcroed some headphone speakers in my helmet where my chatterbox ones go. worrks good. Just get a decent headphone and break the headband off.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
+1

They fit my ears like earplugs, highly recommended

biggrin.gif

I've always installed the headphones into the liner of the helmet. My current ones were over the ear type, like Turbo-Torch shows. I cut the ear curly off and put them under the liner in the ear hole in the helmet. I ran the connecting cord around the back edge of the helmet and noe have the 4' cord hanging down one side that I then plug into my MP3 player and stuff it into my jacket's center pocket.

God I bet those sound unreal!   Maybe I can find some on ebay  
smile.gif
if you are talking about the Etymotic's Yes, they do.

Do a google search they are pretty easy to find for $75-$85.

I read a very long thread @ sport-touring.net. Very good reviews. Decided to give them a try. I was glad I did. I'd give retail now after hearing them!

Back