music while riding

if there is music entertaining/distracting your brain, it has reduced part of your attention span in case something goes bad quickly. I prefer to have as MUCH attention span as possible while riding. think about your ride and environment... or end up posting about your recent accident as many other have here

it's like women on cell phones in SUVs... we all know THEY Are always paying attention

I have had my bike for four years and always new that I would rather listen to some music!  I recently borrowed the wifes IPOD NANO and had trouble with the standard IPOD earbuds and could not get my helment on!  No way will I ride without the helment! So, my kids told me about SkullCandy earbuds.  I mount the IPDO NANO to my left coat (Joe Rocket) sleeve and its right there for volume and selection. They were like $19.99 at Target and come with three sizes of end caps and I use the smallest and can pull my helment on and off time and time again and do not come out.  Sound great as well!  Rock on... or country twang if that is your thang!  Roy Orbison

I personally don't like to ride with any distractions; I tried music playing softly in the background (Earbuds) but it proved too much for me. I like the sound of the wind and the music from my mistress...
blush.gif

I have an Autocom system.  MP3, XMradio, two-way radio, cell phone and passenger to rider!  Great setup!  
thumb_up.gif
I also have the autocom. It's great to have intercom with pillion. My daughter and I chatted a lot on rides at Bash. Even about sliding off seat etc in curves, then there was that boys HS track team that was running on streets Zukracer had to point out...  
banghead.gif

Music in background is good too.(unless it's your daughters Ipod with Jonas Bos, Miley Cyress, Brittany Spears, etc.)I have a Sansa clip MP3 that is velcro'd to triple tree and wired into autocom. Clean, now that I have issue with Rhapsody settled.

I don't have music loud enough that I can't hear ambient noises, and it's all good. Also have capability of two way with chatterboxes.$$ but a good system.

I just have some earbuds that fit nicely in the ear and helmet slides right over. I have no problem with not hearing or being aware of my surroundings.

You think its a good idea to listen and ride? I kinda like to hear whats going on around me.
+1.  ive tried it and dont like it.  i too like to hear whats going on around me
That, and with helmet speakers, how could you ever hear yourself singing...?

cheers
ken
Yes sir !
whistling.gif
Nothing better than singing in the helmet, beats the shower cuz you don't get all wet. Besides, you got a nice four cylinder band with 2 pipes to go along with you.

I keep my ipod low on streets but as soon as i hit the interstate it goes up...cant hear anything anyway so what the hell...skull candy earphones are great, comfortable and u can beat the price

I use my Ipod and for earbuds I use the Creative EP-630's and have no problem not to mention the EP-630's sound great

Inside the cassette deck there is a line out plug. I record off of Sat. Radio to a mini disc player then plug the mini disc into the bike.

Hours of music in any flavor.
cool.gif

r8

You think its a good idea to listen and ride? I kinda like to hear whats going on around me.
I don't like to hear anything besides music. Seriously, what do you need to hear? Maybe cruising in thick city traffic yeah, but 75% of the time you don't need to hear anything.
You either understand traffic flow, pinch points and anticipate things or you don't...
Maybe it's just an excuse used to listen to that $1000 pipe.
winkold.gif

Oh...Etymotic Research ER-6's. Best in the business. $90
or Philips ear buds from Walgreens. $20 I cut the little hard stems attached to the Philips and sanded the nub
smooth, now they don't protrude at all.
it is not so much the "listening" as the distraction for me.. open highway? no problem..

any traffic or possible chance of people pulling out in front of me? no phones, music or other distractions..

plenty of debate on all this but the studies show that a cell phone (even on speaker phone) is as big a distraction as eating or being legally intoxicated when it comes to reaction times and driving safety.. Not much I have ever found on "listening" but fiddling with radio stations or music media can not be a good idea if you have anything within striking range..

I wear ear plugs when ever I am at freeway speeds as well..

Back