Earbuds in your helmet

All this talk has me interested (I never listened to music while on the bike), but does it stop you from staying in tune with the bike and things around you?

I USE THE SONY EAR BUDS AND THEY WORK GREAT!  THEY RUN ABOUT $50 AND NO COMPLAINTS.  I USE MINE W/ MY XM MYFI.
If you're talking about the 71's, I only have 2 complaints:

#1. crappy uneven left / right side wire length cause it to get yanked out of my ear by the wind in my helmet while on the freeway.

#2. I hate the detachability of the silicone/gel part. I lost one already.

other than that, sounds great, and seals off at around 7 dicebels of outside noise.

Etymotic   Isolator ER6i  Not cheap, sounds great!

Link
I was considering these and the Shures, but they don't look like they would fit into my helmet (RF-1000).  

Any experience?
I'm using the etymotics with my X-11. I put the buds in and bring the cord up to the front and then back over the top of my ears. PDA then goes in the front breast pocket.

Most of the other ones I tried became painfull in 10-20 miles. I have used these for a couple of hours at a time.

I USE THE SONY EAR BUDS AND THEY WORK GREAT!  THEY RUN ABOUT $50 AND NO COMPLAINTS.  I USE MINE W/ MY XM MYFI.
If you're talking about the 71's, I only have 2 complaints:

#1.  crappy uneven left / right side wire length cause it to get yanked out of my ear by the wind in my helmet while on the freeway.

#2.  I hate the detachability of the silicone/gel part.  I lost one already.

other than that, sounds great, and seals off at around 7 dicebels of outside noise.
COME TO THINK OF IT YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. WHAT IS UP W/ THE LEFT SIDE BEING SHORT? ONE TIME THE GEL INSERT DID FALL OFF AFTER I PULLED THE HELMET OFF. O.K. SCOOTER MAYBE YOU WANT TO CONSIDER SOMETHING ELSE. SONY MIGHT NOT BE THE IDEAL CHOICE. THOSE ELYPTAMATIC OR WHATEVER THERE CALLED, RETAILED FOR ABOUT $135. WHERE DID YOU FIND SUCH A LOW PRICE FOR THEM ($75-$85)? THAT WAS THE REASON I BOUGHT THE SONY BUDS.

All this talk has me interested (I never listened to music while on the bike), but does it stop you from staying in tune with the bike and things around you?
Only if you are listening to country.
egitarre77.gif

"The band that goes over each ear keeps them in place while putting the helmet on and they're so thin I can't even feel them.  Inside piece is soft foam"

Sony makes a pair just like that too for about $20. I've tried many & those seem to work the best for me too....

Came across these but I don't know anyone who has tried them yet....Here is the link...

http://www.clearercom.com/Helmetspeaker.htm

<!--EDIT|Busa204
Reason for Edit: None given...|1128711218 -->

My Little John version of the Oakley Thumps not only matches my bike but is wonderful sound quality and durability

I use the Koss earphones and they rock!! I only use one and I can hear the music just fine. I think that if I used both, I wouldn't be able to hear anything else going on around me. Not bad for $20 at Best Buy.

This looks pretty promising.
MP3 Sunglasses
Not quite as nice as these. Oakley Thumps

Make sure you order one of these to be able to use the thumps on the bike.

Wind noise might be a problem.
+1
I have a set of thumps and they are nice for doing the yard, PT, etc., but they don't fit inside a full face helmet...
And, since the buds do move around a little, there is no way to readjust them without taking the helmet off.

I was doing my research on the Eclyptic Sp?/shure e2c and both reviews were pretty good.. the down side is they both suck in the Bass department .. so they say.. both cost about $85 - $100.  

I dunno know but im a Bass head type and no boom is not a good thing.. i did some other research and found these.
571795_xlg.jpg

A0507396.jpg

Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 EB (EB stands for Extended Bass) Noise Cancelling Earphones .. retail for $199 .. $175 on Ebay kinda steep but read some reviews and it kinda sells it self.  Im debating on these as to getting the shure e2c .. i need BASS.  (hope i dont seem werid).

808Busa,

They only thing I would be worried about with the model pictured is the size. They appear to be much larger then the 6i. While I'm certain it would not be a problem without a helmet, using them with a helmet might put a bit of unwanted pressure on them causing discomfort. That was a factor in the first set of cheap ear buds I used. It would all depend on the user and helmet. I'm happy with the bass in my 6i buds, but I'm not a high end audiophile. You mileage may vary.

Here are my options (the pic is a large file).

music.jpg

If loud, audiophile music quality is desired, it can be achieved (including deep, accurate bass) with:

1- A clean, strong signal source.
2- A good portable audio amp (the black box in pics #1 & #2).
3- High quality ear buds that fit in the ear canal or high-end, custom-installed headphones (both are expensive).

Without all three of these elements, quality will suffer. Commercial helmet speakers suck for quality music. Custom-built headphone speakers could sound very good, depending on the headphones used and the fit. I use dinky, commercial helmet speakers only for radar alerts.

The Etymotic ER4S ear buds shown are nearly $300 but...they rival high-end home speakers--really! The black box amp gives high, clean volume--available from HeadRoom

Happy trails
smile.gif

HEY GUYS, TRY SOMETHING LIKE THESE..[/b]</span>

These guys show up at most motorcycle events, you can also handle it thru the mail like I did. Have custom ear molds made of "YOUR" inner ear. The molds are made into custom headphones to fit YOUR ears perfectly. I have one made for my cell phone and it works perfectly at most speeds under 100. Works great on MP3 player etc. Fits inside helmet fine cause it's in your ear. 100's of color choices. <span style='color:indigo'>I have clear.</span>

E.A.R. Hi-Fi Monitor (Z2)
In-Ear-Monitoring systems have become the choice of performing artists in the musical industry for several years. These custom fit Hi-Fi monitors promote quality stereo, or binaural sound by eliminating external background noise. Thus allowing superior attenuation and comfort for everyday use within the professional field.

Excellent for audio engineers, sound board operators and generic music enthusiasts listening to iPod's, MP3 players, or similar device looking for decent base and treble tones in a less expensive music monitor system.

Specs:

Frequency Response (balanced amature driver): 40Hz - 18kHz
Sensitivity: 120dB
Impedance: 13ohms
Costs: $650.00/pair

In the amateur and professional racing circuit, communications is a must for pit crews and drivers. Relaying vital strategic plans throughout a race along with communicating current positions, and/or possible upcoming hazards on the track is an invaluable asset to a racing team's success.

Our racing molds are used by drivers in a variety of motorsports - speed boats, Grand Prix stock car, snowmobiling, NASCAR, motorcycles, etc. - who demand the best in high-fidelity communications when competing in today's strenuous race course conditions.

Custom fit for better comfort and durability, these units provide excellent sound suppression characteristics underneath any racing helmet. These can also be made with disposable foam tips for easier use in driver training academies.

(Note: Ear impression is required for proper manufacturing and custom fit. Please contact us to find your nearest provider.)

Specs:
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 16KHz, +/- 4dB
- Maximum Output: 115 dB SPL
- Weight: Less than 1 oz. plus ear molds
- Standard 3.5mm stereo phone plug

Costs:
Custom Molded Version: $175.00
Foam Tip Version: $100.00

<span style='color:indigo'>Anyway, hope they help. They also make the best dayum plain ole ear plugs that are custom molded as well. I love mine. Works with any audio source and as well as with my chatterbox.

MOST HEARING AID COMPANIES CAN MAKE EM TOO!. I had my first set made by a hearing aid company locally for my work radio ear piece. Best thing I ever did. You dont even feel it in there cause it's a perfect fit.

They also have some similar to the onese right above this post!.

Good ole tip from your uncle JD</span>

<!--EDIT|ICEMANN
Reason for Edit: None given...|1128775743 -->

Last edited by a moderator:
Back