Drove a few hemis today

Wire Dawg

Donating Member
Registered
Lookin' at gettin' the wife something a little more new and reliable than her '97 Jeep Wrangler and did some test-driving today. Drove the Jeep Commander, Grand Cherokee and Dodge 1500 Mega Cab all equipped with the HEMI. Havin' a hard time making a decision, but leaning toward the Commander. Anyone have some advice/experience on choosing between these three? BTW -- I LOVE that HEMI engine!

Just make sure you get the extended warranty. I would reccomend this for no matter what you buy. It is just peace of mind, also build a really good relationship with your service people at the dealer and you generally won't have any problems.

If your looking for reliable, why are you looking at a dodge
laugh.gif
Yes, I'm a chevy guy. I would stay away the grand cherokee.i have heard and seen to many horror stories about them (tranny), but the other 2 seem fine. dodge did right by remaking the hemi. seems to be the best engine they build.

Thanks for the input. Until today, I didn't know the warranty dropped to 3 years/30,000 miles on both Jeep and Dodge. The '05s were 7/70,000. The Cherokee just seems kinda blah, but the Commander is different in a good way and the Dodge Mega Cab has loads o' room. Hmmmm...

laugh.gif
Yes, I'm a chevy guy. I would stay away the grand cherokee.i have heard and seen to many horror stories about them (tranny), but the other 2 seem fine. dodge did right by remaking the hemi. seems to be the best engine they build.
+1
idea.gif

i know this is way off, but if you are considering the megacab, grab a 2500 4X4 with the cummins, you will not regret it, even at 56xxx fully equiped, amazing vehicle!!!

-WHEELMAN

... and check around for gas mileage figures on the hemi before you buy any of them.. Everybody I talk to (and I talk to alot) say it sucks... even the ones that are exagerating are still saying 14-15mpg.

pretty crappy mileage even if it does have a little extra hp when you can look at a 300hp tahoe that will get almost 19 on a trip... and higher resell.
Plus the 07 tahoes have the displacement on demand thing that (so far) is working like a charm and pushing the gas mileage up into the low 20's and even higher than that on a trip.

all that being said.. i'd probably go with the grand cherokee because it is a proven vehicle...

dodge trucks drive like log trucks, and the commander.. I dunno.. I'd buy a tahoe before it based on looks alone.

Main_Tahoe.gif

Similar shopping trip for me a few weeks back...went "overseas" and bought a Nissan Armada....if you like the Commander, you should give an Armada a look....

Since the megacab is one of your choices, I'll throw in my .02..

Get a diesel. I had a chev K1500 x-cab with a 5.3 for 4 yrs. Great truck, but it got maybe 14.5 mpg on a good day.

Replaced it 1 1/2 yrs ago with a '03 Ford F350 crewcab with the 6.0 powerstroke. Dam, what a truck! TONS of room inside. Drives great, gets 17-19 mpg hywy and 16+ in town.

And it'll pull a house!
tounge.gif

Plus the 07 tahoes have the displacement on demand thing that (so far) is working like a charm and pushing the gas mileage up into the low 20's and even higher than that on a trip.
The HEMI has the variable displacement deal also. I've read on other sites that I'm still looking at no better than 15 MPG though.

Decision made. Went and drove the mega cab and another Commander today. We're going with the Commander for two reasons: The mega cab is so big it intimidates my wife (who will be driving it the most) and insurance is cheaper on the Commander. Should be pulling the trigger here in the next couple of weeks. I'll post up some pics when the deal is done. Thanks for the input guys.

... and check around for gas mileage figures on the hemi before you buy any of them.. Everybody I talk to (and I talk to alot) say it sucks... even the ones that are exagerating are still saying 14-15mpg.

pretty crappy mileage even if it does have a little extra hp when you can look at a 300hp tahoe that will get almost 19 on a trip... and higher resell.

all that being said.. i'd probably go with the grand cherokee because it is a proven vehicle...

dodge trucks drive like log trucks, and the commander.. I dunno.. I'd buy a tahoe before it based on looks alone.
Yeah but Chevy's are ugly...
smile.gif

I don't think you've driven a new Dodge truck though, the Pickup I've driven and the Hemi powered Durango both rode very well, Not logging truck at all. As for the Multi-displacement engines? Dodge has em' too.

Man, give a Chevy Salesman an inch... Whew... Getting deep, need my waders...
thumbs-up.gif

Ah, ya know I love ya...

Thanks for the input. Until today, I didn't know the warranty dropped to 3 years/30,000 miles on both Jeep and Dodge. The '05s were 7/70,000. The Cherokee just seems kinda blah, but the Commander is different in a good way and the Dodge Mega Cab has loads o' room. Hmmmm...
dodge is afraid of the new motor ... they aren't sure if that MDS is going to bite them or not.

I did get an 05 1500 quad cab....gas mileage sux...but it's sweet.
I got the 7/70 and opted for the bumber to bumber extention out to 7/70 as well and the tire/wheel package for another 300.00 ....it cover road hazzard on bothe for any tires/wheels I put on there over the next 5 years. It already has 20" rime stock...so if i blow a tire....chances are it will pay for itself then and there.

since I am never home, it put only a few miles on it...nice!

first thing I did was rip out the stock airbox....this will have to do until I can afford the ram air hood I want. I was hoping to have it before the Bash....but it's just too much too soon.

c310008.jpg

c310010.jpg

lol.... just noticed my camera date is a year off.....hahaha!

<!--EDIT|BusaCruise
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141784994 -->

Finally pulled the trigger on the new Jeep.  Love it so far.  The old girl still looks pretty good after 4 years too huh?

<!--EDIT|Wire Dawg
Reason for Edit: None given...|1143949993 -->

busa_Jeep.JPG

laugh.gif
I'd stay away from Dodge and GM! By the way, HEMI is just a trade mark that Dodge has maintained over the years. The likely hood of you buying a current "HEMI" and having the same kind of engine that was built in the 70s is 1000 to 1.

laugh.gif
I'd stay away from Dodge and GM!  By the way, HEMI is just a trade mark that Dodge has maintained over the years.  The likely hood of you buying a current "HEMI" and having the same kind of engine that was built in the 70s is 1000 to 1.
Thats not true it does have hemi heads its a true hemi. Just not a 440 or 426. But it is a Hemi. 5.7L.

... and check around for gas mileage figures on the hemi before you buy any of them..  Everybody I talk to (and I talk to alot) say it sucks... even the ones that are exagerating are still saying 14-15mpg.

dodge trucks drive like log trucks, and the commander.. I dunno..  I'd buy a tahoe before it based on looks alone.
My Dodge Magnum gets 25+ MPG. Its got the Hemi motor.
I am not exaggerating either. Its verifiable. (Thats even averaging in my runs at the strip with a shot of gas!)

Dodge is making reliable vehicles these days. I'll put the quality of my car up against most out there now.

Sorry - but the K-Car is long gone........

My Dodge Magnum gets 25+ MPG. Its got the Hemi motor.
I am not exaggerating either. Its verifiable. (Thats even averaging in my runs at the strip with a shot of gas!)
No shid? Mine has the MPG "calculator" feature and I haven't done better than 14.9 MPG yet. I don't know how it calculates it though. Per trip, per tank, real-time, what? Guess I need to read the owners manual huh?

Back