New(ish) to the Busa and got a few questions

mekaz

Registered
Hi all, kinda new around here and since I'm in love w my bike I need professional answers(this is where u guys come in). again. got a TON of advice from a few of you and thank you so much. But now that I'm learning this bike, I realized I have been asking questions about things that aren't that important until I TRULY learn this bike. What I mean is, in my excitement and dreams of 200mph I forgot to ask the basic questions of keeping my dream bike happy and running optimally. I forgot to crawl before I decided to run. Let me break it down, I have a bone stock 06 w 9019 miles. This will be my first oil change since purchase at 7642mi. Is there a certain oil I should use? Been seeing some debate over traditional vs. synthetic due to the low mileage on the bike sites I visit. Also, w the brands of oil out there. Another question is what do you recommend as far as oil change intervals go? 1500? 2000? 5000? LESS? MORE? I don't race the bike in the traditional sense but at the same time I am not gentle w the throttle when given the opportunity to open it up. Did NOT get a manual w the bike and I don't want to overlook anything important. another question is Am I getting close to any major services or things I NEED to do to ensure the survival and optimal performance of this bike? Like plugs or valve clearance etc, etc? I ask because I have spent a good amount of time looking for information but there are a LOT of different opinions on what worked. Another question is What are your feelings on a Power Commander? Does it benefit my stock setup or is it for more tuned situations? Finally (and thank you all) is a question about handling. I have read about a riser or something to raise the ass that improves the quickness of turning or (their words) flicking the bike over and from side to side. The reason I ask is because my other bike when parked side by side next to the busa is much taller in the rear. Its a VFR, not a GSXR, nowhere near as cool, but requires very little effort in turns or an emergency situation to fall into a line. Or is it me? I'm ok w it being me. Just wanted to know. Lastly and thank you for bearing w me, I have read about "correct gearing" for my bike that did not come from the factory. Is that a thing? I weigh 230lbs before gear so maybe? I really thank you for any help on any or all topics.i just wanna make every ride as perfect as possible. thanks, sincerely. be safe out there.MEKAZ

fullsizeoutput_329.jpeg

I always recommend changing the oil and plugs on a new bike first thing. You never know how it was treated or how long it was sitting up. I use full synthetic, brand is less important than fully synthetic high quality. I do about 3K miles between changes but have gone as long as 5K. But never more than one year.

Getting a qualified shop to look the bike over is a good idea but at 9K miles it probably doesn't need anything more than lube, oil and a pat on the butt.

No need for a Power Commander unless you change something like a full exhaust (not just slipons) or an aftermarket air filter. While a good dyno tune can help any bike, it's probably not a cost-justified thing to spend your dough on.

A 1" rear riser will improve the bike's handling but I feel it improves straight line stability more than turn in (Gen II). If you don't know what counter-steering is you need to learn because that's how you get a Busa to obey your commands, especially at speed. Because of weight and geometry the Busa will never be as flickable as a smaller, lighter bike due to the inertia of that weight. There are some things you can do about this, but they are expensive. First, go to lighter wheels. This is said to be the easiest, quickest way to improve a bike dynamically. Second is to reduce any weight that is far away from the bikes center of gravity (usually somewhere around the crankshaft). For example, the cans on the exhaust system are the most obvious offender (don't just remove the cans! go full Titanium exhaust). I already mentioned lighter wheels and you can also do lighter rotors and even calipers. There are lightened parts and Ti bolt kits (Members C10 & Roadtoad are experts on this).

IMHO, the slow rotational rate of the Busa is not a bad thing. Learn to ride it properly and you will find that the way the bike holds a line makes it a massively good backroad burner. Practice getting to the point where counter-steering becomes intuitive to you. At 230 lbs handling the bike will not be a problem for you. Remember that when your buddies cut under you in the turns they will be helpless against the Busa power on the straights.

Good luck on the new bike. All this is of course my opinion. But be careful of "street knowledge" as it's often laced with a lot of myth.

This will be my first oil change since purchase at 7642mi. Is there a certain oil I should use? Been seeing some debate over traditional vs. synthetic due to the low mileage on the bike sites I visit. Also, w the brands of oil out there. Another question is what do you recommend as far as oil change intervals go? 1500? 2000? 5000? LESS? MORE?
You should have no problem going to synthetic. I believe I switched over around 4000 miles. No leaks.

I use Rotella T6 full synthetic. It's cheap as dino oil and it's synthetic. Also wet clutch approved. It doesn't last any better than dino oil though. I change every 2500 miles but it's cheap enough to do that.

Am I getting close to any major services or things I NEED to do to ensure the survival and optimal performance of this bike?
You can start to think about adjusting those valve clearances. Personally, I think you're better off to wait a little past the service interval. If you adjust too soon, you'll end up adjusting again the next time you check.

If you want to check them now(I think you are about at the recommended service interval) don't bother adjusting any unless they are quite tight. If they're just a tad tight, they will probably get tighter before they stop wearing in.

I adjusted my 14's valve clerance at 24k miles and that was probably a bit too long to wait but they have not moved since. I'm at 44k miles now.

What are your feelings on a Power Commander? Does it benefit my stock setup or is it for more tuned situations?
It won't make a difference for a stock bike. It doesn't make a palpable difference for a full system as far as I can tell but I feel safe having it. I went with Bazzaz. I think a PC5 secondary module would be the best rout. Also, flashing is the cheapest easiest way to go for tuning. A lot of people still go with a PC5 or Bazzaz so they have control of fueling and I think that's a wise choice. ...unless you buy your own Woolich software or are willing to take the bike to a tuner when you get a pipe or turbo, etc.

If you're into fiddling with electronics, a PC5 with AutoTune and Ignition Module offers a whole new frontier of fiddling. There is also a PC5 + Ignition but I don't know how it compares to the PC5 with sepparate ignition module. Man you can hook up switches, tune fueling and ignition to your hearts content but most people just flash. If you just want to go fast, I'd say avoid all the ectronics and enjoy your rididng instead because it will take a lot of time to learn everything.

I have read about a riser or something to raise the ass that improves the quickness of turning or (their words) flicking the bike over and from side to side.
I have no doubt that helps immensely. I use a 200/55 tire and I can tell the bike tips in easier. Steeper rake = sharper turning. Look at the forks on your liter bike compared to the busa.

I have read about "correct gearing" for my bike that did not come from the factory. Is that a thing?
Probably they are talking about the tallish first gear. I wouldn't think about going shorter if you want to do 200 mph. I have my 14 geared lower and it's a noticeable change with +4 on the back. The bike will still do 190. Yes, it pulls harder quicker at low speed but not really that much. I thik it would be a worthwhile mod for the busa if you are promarily riding in stop and go. Also good for wheelies but it does a fine job of that on stock gearing. It's just the real low rpm in 1st gear when I'm slipping the clutch where it feels like it could have a little more pep. Open the throttle more and hang on to that clutch! It will pull you just fine.

Oil change: use a new crush washer on the drain bolt, and torque the bolt properly. Many have striped the pan or had the old washer leak.

Hi all, kinda new around here and since I'm in love w my bike I need professional answers(this is where u guys come in). again. got a TON of advice from a few of you and thank you so much. But now that I'm learning this bike, I realized I have been asking questions about things that aren't that important until I TRULY learn this bike. What I mean is, in my excitement and dreams of 200mph I forgot to ask the basic questions of keeping my dream bike happy and running optimally. I forgot to crawl before I decided to run. Let me break it down, I have a bone stock 06 w 9019 miles. This will be my first oil change since purchase at 7642mi. Is there a certain oil I should use? Been seeing some debate over traditional vs. synthetic due to the low mileage on the bike sites I visit. Also, w the brands of oil out there. Another question is what do you recommend as far as oil change intervals go? 1500? 2000? 5000? LESS? MORE? I don't race the bike in the traditional sense but at the same time I am not gentle w the throttle when given the opportunity to open it up. Did NOT get a manual w the bike and I don't want to overlook anything important. another question is Am I getting close to any major services or things I NEED to do to ensure the survival and optimal performance of this bike? Like plugs or valve clearance etc, etc? I ask because I have spent a good amount of time looking for information but there are a LOT of different opinions on what worked. Another question is What are your feelings on a Power Commander? Does it benefit my stock setup or is it for more tuned situations? Finally (and thank you all) is a question about handling. I have read about a riser or something to raise the ass that improves the quickness of turning or (their words) flicking the bike over and from side to side. The reason I ask is because my other bike when parked side by side next to the busa is much taller in the rear. Its a VFR, not a GSXR, nowhere near as cool, but requires very little effort in turns or an emergency situation to fall into a line. Or is it me? I'm ok w it being me. Just wanted to know. Lastly and thank you for bearing w me, I have read about "correct gearing" for my bike that did not come from the factory. Is that a thing? I weigh 230lbs before gear so maybe? I really thank you for any help on any or all topics.i just wanna make every ride as perfect as possible. thanks, sincerely. be safe out there.MEKAZ

View attachment 1583744

Nice looking bike. Where are the mirrors? I use 1” Delrin mirror extender blocks so I don’t see my elbows as much. I’ve used Amsoil since new and change it every 5,000 miles. Just had the valves checked for the third time and once again, none were out of spec and that was at 60,000+ miles. Due to age alone if I were you I’d swap out the brake lines with braided SS lines and replace the fluid. I also changed the Cush rubbers to some HD red ones, from Schnitz racing I believe. They ‘tighten’ up the driveline so to speak. When you replace the fork seals, replace the fork oil with a lil heavier oil. Set the suspension for your weight front and rear, check the drive chain which will probably need replacing. Most any rivet link O or X ring chain with 10,000+ tensile strength will do. Sprockets will probably be ok but check them anyway. One last thing, invest in a radar detector. My Valentine 1 has saved me thousands over the years in 11 states.:D
EC26E217-B372-4BB3-A9DA-847A78BBDD66.jpeg

92E4671D-D7D4-4F03-87DA-A8E67663D7CF.jpeg

125D2DF1-4850-447D-8800-49973D17678D.jpeg

:welcome:.

When I bought a '02 Busa from a 72 year old man (no joke - he is 73 now, we keep in touch) he and I thought it was all stock. We didn't know Muzzy exhausts weren't stock. He had only done cosmetic and comfort upgrades.

I "gently" rode the 'Busa for 4 months, then took the Level 1 course at California SuperBike School. Now I have much more enjoyment riding the 'Busa "faster", still riding within my skill level. I run out of skill way before I reach the Busa's capabilities.
counter-steering
That being said, I'm also going some of the mechanical upgrades as Mekaz. I never thought changing sprockets could change the riding dynamic so much, especially because it's so cheap to do ! (relative to mechanical skill/tool level) There are a few other items I'm also changing; brakes, rotors, braided lines, air filter etc ...

Thanks to Mekaz for the thread and everyone advice.

I will post pictures of my Busa's "face-lift" when complete. These threads have so much useful information; the pile of parts for my upgrade keeps growing. I'm going all upgrades at once, no way I'm taking the bike apart multiple times.

Thanks again Mekas
:beerchug:

Thanks everyone! This place is so great!
I always recommend changing the oil and plugs on a new bike first thing. You never know how it was treated or how long it was sitting up. I use full synthetic, brand is less important than fully synthetic high quality. I do about 3K miles between changes but have gone as long as 5K. But never more than one year.

Getting a qualified shop to look the bike over is a good idea but at 9K miles it probably doesn't need anything more than lube, oil and a pat on the butt.

No need for a Power Commander unless you change something like a full exhaust (not just slipons) or an aftermarket air filter. While a good dyno tune can help any bike, it's probably not a cost-justified thing to spend your dough on.

A 1" rear riser will improve the bike's handling but I feel it improves straight line stability more than turn in (Gen II). If you don't know what counter-steering is you need to learn because that's how you get a Busa to obey your commands, especially at speed. Because of weight and geometry the Busa will never be as flickable as a smaller, lighter bike due to the inertia of that weight. There are some things you can do about this, but they are expensive. First, go to lighter wheels. This is said to be the easiest, quickest way to improve a bike dynamically. Second is to reduce any weight that is far away from the bikes center of gravity (usually somewhere around the crankshaft). For example, the cans on the exhaust system are the most obvious offender (don't just remove the cans! go full Titanium exhaust). I already mentioned lighter wheels and you can also do lighter rotors and even calipers. There are lightened parts and Ti bolt kits (Members C10 & Roadtoad are experts on this).

IMHO, the slow rotational rate of the Busa is not a bad thing. Learn to ride it properly and you will find that the way the bike holds a line makes it a massively good backroad burner. Practice getting to the point where counter-steering becomes intuitive to you. At 230 lbs handling the bike will not be a problem for you. Remember that when your buddies cut under you in the turns they will be helpless against the Busa power on the straights.

Good luck on the new bike. All this is of course my opinion. But be careful of "street knowledge" as it's often laced with a lot of myth.
Thanks fallen arch! I am gonna go full titanium! Also, where did u find that jacket in ur profile pic? that thing is awesome! The "street knowledge" thing is real! which is why I come here. Yea, I think I just need to REALLY learn the bike. Im still a lil gentler w it than my sub liter bikes. In the corners that is....Thanks bro. I really appreciate all the expertise. Gnite

Thanks everyone! This place is so great!

Thanks fallen arch! I am gonna go full titanium! Also, where did u find that jacket in ur profile pic? that thing is awesome! The "street knowledge" thing is real! which is why I come here. Yea, I think I just need to REALLY learn the bike. Im still a lil gentler w it than my sub liter bikes. In the corners that is....Thanks bro. I really appreciate all the expertise. Gnite
That's a Joe Rocket Full Leather Hayabusa Jacket. It is silver, matched my 09 colors at the time. I have no idea where I got it, been 10 years now.
2012 Spring Busa Bash 01 - small.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Zee
LOL, I know u must have got it ten years ago. I literally have searched the internet for months in every country imaginable and can't find even a replica. Its a unicorn bro. Well, it is the sickest jacket out there. Thanks for all the advice and real quick, what kinda exhaust you got on that sexy silver beast? and what are your thoughts? been looking to lose a few lbs and gain a few HPs. I got an 06 tho. any recommendations?

Back