Drag racing Pic's and air shift question

jaysrippen

Registered
Quick question, I have yosh R-77 slip ons (duals) on my 08 busa. Does anyone know or have tried to install air shifter ram under the foot peg? Will my Yosh pipe be in the way? I have emailed 2 companys (muzzy and another???) to ask if there under peg bracket will fit, no replies.
Thanks guys!

I only got my near stock Busa to 2 Drag events this summer, but had ALOT of fun!!! Best run of 10.06@142mph with a airstrip track at 2400' elev. Thats me racing my dad in his 66 Chevy II (getting the jump on him......needed jump!!):laugh:

IMG_7805.JPG

IMG_7590.JPG

IMG_7897.JPG

Bike ran quite consistant at 10.15 @140mph, got 2nd at both events!! 2 trophys and even a little$$ Thats really good, because I was really there to pit crew for my dads 66 Chevy, so I worked on his car for the 4 days and did nothing to the Busa (other then intial set up).

Pictures of also Road racing my Busa. At Stratotech race park is quite tight and shes a big girl, but the Busa did just fine!!

busa.jpg

busa2.jpg

Ok thanks, I just emailed hime, YOUR RIGHT fast responce, and its Saterday!!

Hi Jason
I always recommend mounting the air cylinder vertically as instructed with my systems. No other way provides more leverage on the shift lever.

Best Regards,
Matt Thomas

update: Ive decide on no air shifter for this season, just little to complicated for my all purpose bike!!

Actually it isn't complicated if you do ECU flash. I use Matt's setup with no harness and just use the horn wires to trigger it. Simplest system out there.

just get a cordona quickshifter,their plug and play and you can adjust foot preload effort so you never hit nuetral.The shift kill time can be shortened to faster than an airshifter setup and they never have air leak issues or need shifter bottles refilled.More reliable setup with far less fuss.

just get a cordona quickshifter,their plug and play and you can adjust foot preload effort so you never hit nuetral.The shift kill time can be shortened to faster than an airshifter setup and they never have air leak issues or need shifter bottles refilled.More reliable setup with far less fuss.

According to their website they go down to 40 ms. ECU kill can go lower. Does the Cordona require the rider to physically move the shift lever?
An air shifter lets me leave my feed down until I'm in second gear and settled. The Cordona seems like it would be better suited to a track bike?

they also do a plug and play through the gear position switch and you can use ecu editor to determine shift kill time,fuel or ignition or both.You missed the point about kill time,an air shifter has to fill the ram before a suitable pressure is acheived and matched with a kill time that allows enough time for this to occur,if you preload the gear lever with your foot enough to reach your adjustable preload(mines at 13kg)the kill time occurs at peak load from your foot,enabling a faster shift.I start left foot up stock wheelbase.No problems doing that.8.76@165mph all motor, stock wheelbase,yep its a track bike alright,a straight line track bike,lol.

My ram was under the fairing using a Gatling bracket and shift arm. It made for a very clean “stealthâ€￾ look. Here are a few pictures. From a distance, zoomed in, and one I found somewhere else of the same bracket without body work.

I also went a different route than most. Instead of triggering a shift and a kill at the same time, I made them two events dependent on each other. The shift started by triggering the air valve with a USB Hub on an PC III. The throttle had to be @ 75% and the rpm at the correct point. I used a pressure switch in the line. When the pressure came up, the switch triggered the kill, which shut off the injectors instead of the ignition. It was very quick and silent. I also had a button on the left side I could tap with my thumb. (from a Quick Shifter kit). I had a 3 way toggle switch under the hump to control it. In case I was racing where autoshifts were not allowed in my class I could disable it. Forward autoshift AND button override, center off, rear button only.

It all worked great for me without issues for the last two seasons I raced.

4313.jpg

Shifter.jpg

Gatlin.jpg

Nice clean setup... Be careful with a pressure switch, Ive seen them fail! Which in results in possible bent shift forks.
I used to use an electronic timer for the kill which was adjustable, Always set the kill time high and work your way down in time

they also do a plug and play through the gear position switch and you can use ecu editor to determine shift kill time,fuel or ignition or both.You missed the point about kill time,an air shifter has to fill the ram before a suitable pressure is acheived and matched with a kill time that allows enough time for this to occur,if you preload the gear lever with your foot enough to reach your adjustable preload(mines at 13kg)the kill time occurs at peak load from your foot,enabling a faster shift.I start left foot up stock wheelbase.No problems doing that.8.76@165mph all motor, stock wheelbase,yep its a track bike alright,a straight line track bike,lol.

The ECU airshifter control allows the solenoid to pressurize before activating the fuel and ignition kill so you get the effect you are describing. The default settings are good enough to allow a 40 ms kill time or better on most Gen-2 Busas. If you spend a lot of time dragracing a short wheelbase bike you'll find that as you start leaving harder simply moving your feet up to the pegs (to make the shift) is enough change in center of gravity to cause the bike to wheelie. Starting with one up is starting with somewhat of a limitation. Also, it is hard to stage on a pro tree with only one foot down.

Ok thanks, I just emailed hime, YOUR RIGHT fast responce, and its Saterday!!

Hi Jason
I always recommend mounting the air cylinder vertically as instructed with my systems. No other way provides more leverage on the shift lever.

Best Regards,
Matt Thomas
I do question mounting it vertically vs. horizontally being more effective but the vertical mount seems to be the most popular and I did have some issues with a horizontal mount binding up last year but im gonna give this a shot possibly this year GSXR1300 1999-2007 Hayabusa Air Shifter Bracket Kit Black Anodised - SpencerCycle.com

I do question mounting it vertically vs. horizontally being more effective but the vertical mount seems to be the most popular and I did have some issues with a horizontal mount binding up last year but im gonna give this a shot possibly this year GSXR1300 1999-2007 Hayabusa Air Shifter Bracket Kit Black Anodised - SpencerCycle.com

Vertical mount lets you get 3" or so away from the pivot of the shift lever. The horizontal setups I've seen use the shift rod mount location which is pretty close to the shift lever pivot, so there is much less leverage as Matt notes. Someone who has run both setups can decide if the extra leverage is actually needed or not as I can't say.

Back