I wanna start drag racing.need help

got my busa back together & would like to post pics for you guys but I cant post pics if my life depended on it.I can email them to whoever can post'em.....thanks

Because if you want to go fast, it takes money.

money is not an issue.the mods I have listed are things that Ive done in the 1 1/2 years Ive owned this busa(bought brand new)along with with 2 other bikes & two other cars...now please if you dont have anything helpful or positive to say.move on & build your post count else where.:corner:

thank you for your time,
ED

Last edited:
Ed,
Looks like you've got a pretty good setup. At your weight, 16/44 is a good starting point. You won't spin if the track is prepped. Your problem will be keeping the front down. 2 very minor suggestions. 1st, if you rent the track for the day and plan to hot lap it, bring a fan and give your clutch a 20 minute cool down with the fan running on it between runs if you can work it out. If you plan to hot lap it, you can toast a clutch in 3 passes and then your $100 track rental is a waste. This depends a bit on your riding style of course... General rule of thumb is if I can't comfortably touch the clutch cover with my bare hand, then I would never take the bike up to the line. The other suggestion is rear suspension. Make sure your sag is about an inch, and your rebound is full hard. Stock shock won't give you enough rebound anyway, but its a start.

Ed,
Looks like you've got a pretty good setup. At your weight, 16/44 is a good starting point. You won't spin if the track is prepped. Your problem will be keeping the front down. 2 very minor suggestions. 1st, if you rent the track for the day and plan to hot lap it, bring a fan and give your clutch a 20 minute cool down with the fan running on it between runs if you can work it out. If you plan to hot lap it, you can toast a clutch in 3 passes and then your $100 track rental is a waste. This depends a bit on your riding style of course... General rule of thumb is if I can't comfortably touch the clutch cover with my bare hand, then I would never take the bike up to the line. The other suggestion is rear suspension. Make sure your sag is about an inch, and your rebound is full hard. Stock shock won't give you enough rebound anyway, but its a start.

Thank you, I have thought of clutch temp.so I dont plan on hot lapping also the time between laps I can log everything down & for a fan Im gonna have the fan I used at the track before with my old race car(its shaped like a snail shell)but blows crazy amounts of air.I also had race tech set up my sag(about an inch)rebound as at max.I also just got my front end strap from schnitz racing today through ups......sounds like Im headed in the right direction......thanks

money is not an issue.the mods I have listed are things that Ive done in the 1 1/2 years Ive owned this busa(bought brand new)along with with 2 other bikes & two other cars...now please if you dont have anything helpful or positive to say.move on & build your post count else where.:corner:

thank you for your time,
ED

Boy, sorry to get on your BAD side. Good luck and enjoy...

I would be happy to post your pictures, email them to me and I will put them up. If you have any pictures of the Camaro at the track would be a great addition as well.

You have a PM...

here is a list of mods Ive done for the bi-monthly drag strip visits

swing arm extended 4"
16/44 sprockets
rs-3 full yosh pipe
pc3(map donated by professor)
pingel electric shifter
small air box mod
factory pro stacks
factory pro evo star
bmc filter(race)
r6 throttle tube
08 radial master cyl.
front & rear galpher lines
ebc hh pads(front & rear)
mps clutch mod
shinko 03 tires

my question is am I missing anything?.......remember this is just a weekend warrior for now until I blow it & then Ill go nuts on it

All depends on what kind of drag racing your doing?is it heads up racing?If its bracket racing and you want 2 win i sugest a adjustable rev limiter or launch box.lets say you want 2 win most of the time+make a few grand then check out my crossover delaybox setup i will be posting in few weeks.still struggling get correct line brake line not working.this system you leave on top yellow off button then delay timer releases your clutch rpm set to exact amount so no need 2 look @ tach.mst bracket races how fast you go has nothing 2 do with who wins its who gets better reaction time.

All depends on what kind of drag racing your doing?is it heads up racing?If its bracket racing and you want 2 win i sugest a adjustable rev limiter or launch box.lets say you want 2 win most of the time+make a few grand then check out my crossover delaybox setup i will be posting in few weeks.still struggling get correct line brake line not working.this system you leave on top yellow off button then delay timer releases your clutch rpm set to exact amount so no need 2 look @ tach.mst bracket races how fast you go has nothing 2 do with who wins its who gets better reaction time.

In my younger years we called those a 2 step rev.limiter.honestly I dont want to bracket race.my old arch enemy(he races a mustang)could never get close to beating my camaro so now he bought a zx14 & is stiring the pot(bench racing)so not only do I want to beat him but,I want to do it with the "slower 06 model"I rented the track so I can practice launching in piece.my best(ever) r/t was a .502 in my hay day I averaged a .520 with a 1.43 60 foot but that was in a car(WHOLE DIFFERENT BALL GAME NOW)....thanks for all the advise guys keep it comin:bowdown:

Boy, sorry to get on your BAD side. Good luck and enjoy...

Sorry if I came across as an A**hole but, since I posted a car I was thinking about selling & got a huge amount negitive responses it left a bad taste in my mouth especially when I sold it for the amount I was told I'd never get for it on here.

thank you for your help,
pm sent

In my younger years we called those a 2 step rev.limiter

right msd or multiple spark discharge 2 step i have run one im almost 49:laugh:old as coal.now since busa already has overrev protection from factory they just call it a launch box .

th_MVI_6291.jpg

If you mentioned it I must of missed it but how about a shift light?
I can't count how many times it "reminded" me to shift and so far I have managed to stay off the rev limiter and not loose time.

I have one of boost by smith launch/shift light, I don't even have to look at the tach when I line up at the tree because the shift light is on on when I bring the engine up to my launch rpm. Then when I am going down the track I never have to take my eyes off the track to look at the tach, I just shift gears when the light turns on.

Good luck

Shift light and/or auto shift
Spare rear wheel to run a differernt tire.
adjustable clutch lever (allow you to release from the same point)
Spare clutch plates and springs
Strap for the front.
Heavy hitter seat pan
Triple tree or cover to allow the forks to slide up.
Spend some $$ on a good shock

I've had mixed results with the 2 step. It is hard to get right with a non-bar bike. If the suspension is perfect I could see where it would work. I didn't have enough time to test mine and pulled it back off to address other issues.

I prefer brocks ultra mod over the MPS unit (but the MPS unit will work). Which ever way you go, you'll need heavier springs.

got the heavier springs,front strap,shift light,adjustable lever,after market triple tree,extra clutches,I dont have a heavy hitter seat(where are they sold)& I still have the stock shock.

good to see a local racer.

what you have is good to start with....go have some fun, get some seat time and then you can decide what you want to do next.

when you are ready, hit me up....i put on motorcycle races at Cali Speedway, nothing major just an opportunity to have some fun and maybe win a little cash.

It sounds like this is your first trip to the track with the bike?

Do you have anyone helping you with your launch technique? Having raced cars, you obviously know the importance of consistency and proper technique!

There is a lot of nuiance and personal preference in this area, if your interested in a couple of pointers, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my thoughts.

In case it matters, I run a performance bike shop, race 3 different personal bikes and have been drag racing bikes for 30, yes, 30 years. Doesn't make me an expert or anything, but lets you know where I'm coming from.

Best of luck!

Gil

Back