Drag and Street setup

daddy1

Registered
Ok guys and gals help a new Busa guy get his bike set up for 1/4 mile drag racing but still be able to ride on the street and have fun on a twisty road.
Yeah I know, they say you can't have your cake and eat it too but I know someone out there has done this.
Lets start with what I would call the standard mods for just about every Busa owner:
Pipe, slip on or full system ( I did the yosh full).
PC 3 or 5 with map.
Lowering kit and strap.
Swing arm extensions are out as they kill the twisty road factor.

I have been running my 08 @ the strip all year and my best is 10.01 @ 147 with a 1.69 60 ft. Wheelies are a BIG problem.
I'm 6ft 220lbs. I have been ridding for 35 years. Raced motocros for 15 years and this is my 2nd year of drag racing.

What do ya got?

Go with the extensions

It will help the wheelie problem and you will be suprised how well you can still do the twisties, and if you dont like the way it feels, Keep the stock length chain and swap it back when its twistie time, But I think you will be suprised how little you loose.

I road a buddys Busa with extensions and no way will it work for me but the swap method may be the answer.

That seems to be basicaly it, because all you can do for the twisties is lose weight or gain more power(costly after basic busa mods), you could also try air box mod and air filter if you havent changed that and maybe cams

What it seems most people do to get started in dragracing or what i always do is....

Full Exhaust System-which you already have
Dynojet PC USB or 5
Brocks Ultra Clutch Mod
Brocks Clutch Cushion Kit
Clutch Slave Support if you go with the Cushion Kit because of the stiffer springs
Front Lowering Strap
Radial Strap Brackets
Rear Adjustable Lowering Links so it will be very easy to raise and lower
BMC Race Air Filter
89 Pump Gas
Last but actually the most important to me is all the seat time that you can get!!!!!
As far as i know there is no airbox mod for the 08-09 i could be wrong ofcourse!

Ok guys and gals help a new Busa guy get his bike set up for 1/4 mile drag racing but still be able to ride on the street and have fun on a twisty road.
Yeah I know, they say you can't have your cake and eat it too but I know someone out there has done this.

The only way to do it is to change your set up according to conditions. The problem is that what makes a bike good at one is utterly opposed to the other. A long bike with a low center of gravity is preferred in drag racing, but exactly the opposite is needed for success in the twisties. If you try and compromise all you'll wind up with is a bike that doesn't do either one very well.
Bolt on extensions, extra wheel chain and sprocket, adjustable links and you're 30 minutes away from either set up.

The only way to do it is to change your set up according to conditions. The problem is that what makes a bike good at one is utterly opposed to the other. A long bike with a low center of gravity is preferred in drag racing, but exactly the opposite is needed for success in the twisties. If you try and compromise all you'll wind up with is a bike that doesn't do either one very well.
Bolt on extensions, extra wheel chain and sprocket, adjustable links and you're 30 minutes away from either set up.

That's the way I feel about it, but I'm no expert.

Thanks for all the input (good stuff).
I am taking the day off today to make some of the changes posted and will be at our Wally race on Saturday.
We have a test and tune tonight but only 2 hours and temp is only 50 so track will be a little on the slick side.

I'll let everyone know how it goes.
Thanks again.

Seat time, seat time, and more seat time!

With the mods you have now, you should easily get into the 9's. Even at your weight.

When my bike had no tune at all, with the small box mod and Gen 3, I went 970's, and I was 260 something at the time. On my 04 busa..........

I would give the extensions at chance. I have mine at almost 6 over and run the twistes fine. Took alittle bit to get used to but now can't really tell a difference. I also have adjustable lowering links.

what i found works best for me is to modify the brocks brick to fit the gen 2. Wheelies are still there but are progressive now and not scary. Also trim a little torque out from 6 to 8800 rpm at 80 to 100% throttle ( Takes 5 mins ). Not much, just enough to keep the front end down. I know you think it will slow the bike down but trust me, we just picked up a tenth by doing so because you can keep the throttle pinned earlier and for longer. You wont need all that power at 80 to 100% throttle through the twisties unless you're casey stoner or have a death wish. I have smooth power on the race track and the 1/4 mile and also on the road. I lower mine in 10 mins for the 1/4 or raise back up for track day and street. 9.4 at 150 mph with only 14 runs on the bike stock gearing, wheelbase and foot shifted with plenty still in the bike!!!!!!! Good luck.......:thumbsup:

Last edited:
cheers

IMG_0179_NEW_NEW.jpg

i hit the strip for the first time this year. I had always passionately enjoyed the twisties especially down at the dragon but its an expensive trip by comparison to the strip and I really started to get into it. My thought is that it would be really hard to have one bike dedicated to both. Its not that its an all or nothing thing for either, its just that in order to get the most out of either, you would have to be doing a lot of switching back and forth. Like raising and lowering the bike for one. I lowered my bike in the front about 1 and 3/4 and back by 2. made a huge diff at the track. I went from low 10's to 9.89 best time. However if I go back down to the dragon I gotta raise it back up. plus i was thinking of extensions next year and a few other things. You can do both for sure I just think in order to get the best out of each type of riding it would require a bit of wrench time to get the best out of it. Both are so much frakken fun though!!!!:thumbsup:

Back