Don't ride with busted seals

ALLshow.NOgo

Registered
I'm sure this is something 99.9% of you probably already know. But if I done it, sure enough someone else has.

My painter told me that it took him 3 days to prep my plastics for paint. Where it shold have taken him a couple of hours. He would sandblast, then notice the plastic would get wet again. This was due to the fork oil had inbed itself in the plastic. I didn't know the oil was corrosive like that. Riding the bike every single day has developed ALOT of road grim. Bike was so filthy. He is going to pressure wash the body while the plastics are off so he will have it looking great when I pick it up.

Since Sunday he has been getting up at 7am to work on my bike till 10am. 10am-7pm he runs his bike shop. He gets home and eat then back on my bike till 1am !! and repeat everyday, He was bustin his ass to get it done in a week and have it ready this Monday. Because I needed it for work. (had to sit out a week)
Well I told him to take it easy since I just got my company vehicle
200702231558_00023.jpg

He showed me the paint and WOW. The 2 colors I pick were expensive! Both had a LOOOOOOOT of pearl he was telling me. 1 of them has a mid coat that gives a crazy pearl effect. While the other had pearl in the base. He is charging me 750$ for 2 one (1 color was 600$) so I know I got a good price. Otherwise the labor etc. involved in MY bike would be much higher.

I would say I am prepared to have the BEST looking bike in my town. The paint will follow a unique line of the bike. Something I have yet to see done on a Busa. But while being simple.

Didn't know the fork oil was quite that bad. Sandblasting the plastics may be a contributor though, as the media may help force the oil deeper and deeper. I do know AC Compressor oil is wicked though.

Hey well that's great I posted then, now more people are aware. He stated the oil was seeping out the pores of the plastic. it would be gone, then in the morning it would be wet again. He eventually got it all out.

For him working on it so hard, he is going to change out my right fork ( the only one that's busted ) for 60$ Worked to hard to watch it come off in two days.

You should change both the seals and the fork oil at the same time, and do it to both tubes.

It's your front suspension for gosh sakes, didn't it feel a little spongey with a blown seal ?

One side just blew quicker than the other, fix it right.

Great post, this is new to me.
beerchug.gif

I'm looking forward to seeing your paint.

Thanks all, its only 1 side thats is busted. I knew almost immediately when I came down many wheelies ago. I could tell the suspension was off, thats also when I found out I was riding on 15lbs of pressure in the front tire. I figured I'd just let it ride till I got it fixed. Cash is tight, luckily only 1 is blown. I used to check the forks everyday I did a wheelie. Been like this over a month

(HayaBoosta03 @ Feb. 24 2007,15:57) Thanks all, its only 1 side thats is busted. I knew almost immediately when I came down many wheelies ago. I could tell the suspension was off, thats also when I found out I was riding on 15lbs of pressure in the front tire. I figured I'd just let it ride till I got it fixed. Cash is tight, luckily only 1 is blown. I used to check the forks everyday I did a wheelie. Been like this over a month
I understand no fixing the seal because cash is tight, but air is free.
tounge.gif

LOL sure right

I definately will take pics. 1 of the colors will change 3 times given the lighting
biggrin.gif
man, lets not even talk about direct sunlight
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Back