issue with painter

AZIROC

Registered
*first off, sorry if this gets long... just looking for what this youngster should do*

started off i got referred to this painter buy multiple people who have had their bike painted by this guy. He work is REALLY amazing, and i havent heard anything even remotely negative. SO i made an appointment to talk to him. he sounded very educated and knew what he was doing (hes done a few celebrities bikes, and won multiple bike shows) and we prob spent 2 hrs going over what i wanted done, so i made an appointment to bring the bike in, in 2 weeks. at this time he said it will take 2 weeks to do it, but should have it done in 1 1/2 weeks, but will say 2 in case something comes up. I called him a few days before i was gonna bring it in, and he said he was actually just finishing up his last bike and said to bring it in on sat as scheduled. Saturday, march 8th, i bring it in, talk with him for about an hour more, just going over everything in detail, he had an example of what i wanted, with the colors i wanted, he showed me his shop, all his painting tools, paint booth, ect (very nice stuff and very clean). so i drop it off, put 1/2 the price down ($1000) and thats about all the contact i had (did) for 2 weeks. Friday the 21st, i call and check to see how things are coming along. He said its coming along great but that day he wasnt going to be realistically done, and how saturday looked better and monday was for sure, and how he knows how i want the bike back for bike week. Well i called saturday afternoon just to check and he said monday(24th). ok, monday.. heard nothen, so about 2 hrs before i went to work (about 5 pm) i call and he said something came up on the weekend and he would need till wed. ok, i can understand.. so i waited til wed (26th). Wednesday came and i went to drop off the seats i reupholstered and chatted with him some more but long story short, he wasnt gonna be done and need till friday, and reinstated how he knew i wanted the bike back for bike week (goes on last week of march, 1st week of april). ok, wed was my friday for work and i can wait a few more days. friday (28th) i call and he says how hes almost done, and will need til monday and was just wireing the LED's. i thought..ok, i dont c how 3 days is needed for soem LED's..but ok. monday (31st) comes and i call. now he said how he will need till wed cause he had the fairings and everything on, but has to take it off to wet sand and polish everything. hmm, ok.. by now im just like wtf..but dont feel like getting all pissed off when hes almost done. well i called today (2nd), and he must have my phone # saved on his phone, cause when he answered, he said "hey kris". so i asked how the bikes doing and now he said something to the affect of hes masking lines for the air brushing cause some didnt line up right, and how my bike is top priority right now, blah blah blah. so, trying to say calm, i said ok, and asked if he had an realistic time when the bike was going to be done.. and i even said even if its gonna b another week just say so. he said hes hoping thursday, or early friday but friday for sure. then he tried to reassure me it was really going to be done. so i said ok.. and thats where i am at now.

SO... what should i do? im thinking friday, in the later afternoon.. since it wil have been 4 weeks since i took it in) if i have not had a phone call, im going to drop in unexpectedly. and if it isnt done, and as much as id rather be surprised with the overall paintjob, im thinking i will look at the bike and see for myself where its actually at. cause right now, instead of being excited about a new/custom paintjob.. i just want the bike back (been in the high 70s all month.. and since im in AZ, the 80s are here and 90s and 100+ r right around the corner).. plus now all i feel im doing is
deadhorse.gif
specially sinec im the one whos always calling asking for updates. its funny too, cause ive referred 2 people to him, and even though they wanted a real basic 1 or 2 color paintjob, their bike is done and they r out riding now. Also, should i be given (or ask) for a discount since its taken 2 weeks longer then expected? ive had to cancel the powder coating appointment for the rims and other small parts because the bike has gone longer then expected, plus my camaro was going to get some engine work done (adding heads/cam), but i had 2 cancel that appointment as well. if so, how much of a discount should i ask for? imo, i feel atleast 10% is fair. but right now, im just trying to keep my cool.

Custom paint will have it's unexpected instances. Do you have any kind of contract or is it all hand shake deals?

If the paint job is as good as you say his work is...I would not push it and hope for a beautiful paint job.

sometimes stuff just happens when it comes to custom paint seen alot of this broken delivery dates over the years. hopefully you get it soon and it looks great

I would hit him up for a discount, the worst thing he could say in no...
beerchug.gif

He is at least answering the phone and actually talking to you. IMHO I would say he just had some setbacks and doesn't want to give you back something that is below his standards. That is totally different than just giving you the cold shoulder and not keeping in contact with you.

Custom paint will have it's unexpected instances. Do you have any kind of contract or is it all hand shake deals?

If the paint job is as good as you say his work is...I would not push it and hope for a beautiful paint job.
well, i think its alittle of both. we both have a copy of the work order, shows the colors being used, what designs going where, the amount of the deposit as well as total, plus the length of time (1 1/2 - 2 weeks).

and see, thats where im at.. his work is really that good/detailed. but it just pisses me off to no end when someone says something will take X time, but its really X + weeks.

also, what about the discount idea?

He is at least answering the phone and actually talking to you. IMHO I would say he just had some setbacks and doesn't want to give you back something that is below his standards. That is totally different than just giving you the cold shoulder and not keeping in contact with you.
this is what i think about too because he said how he cant deliver a product he would do for himself and if he messes up and has to start all over because of 1 little thing, he will, and he will keep doing it till its 100% perfect... which was a really good selling point to me. plus like you said. he IS answering his phone, its not like i am getting the answering machine, which is a plus.

cursin.gif
I can't believe you have been this patient. Have you seen any of the work he has done on your bike? Maybe he took your kindness and patience for granted. Since you are being so laid back, he is thinkin ohh this guy won't care if I keep putting it off. Lay down the law! 10% is the very least he could do. I would ask him first what he could do for you as in discount. He might say more than what you are askin for.
firedevil.gif

cursin.gif
I can't believe you have been this patient. Have you seen any of the work he has done on your bike? Maybe he took your kindness and patience for granted. Since you are being so laid back, he is thinkin ohh this guy won't care if I keep putting it off. Lay down the law! 10% is the very least he could do. I would ask him first what he could do for you as in discount. He might say more than what you are askin for.
firedevil.gif
well, i am usally pretty patient. just dont feel i should b the 1 doing the phone calls, u know. NO, i havent seen anything done to the bike, mostly because prior to this last phone call, i still wanted to be "surprised" by the finished product (plus hes taking pics of the bike during the whole process). maybe i wil do that.. ask what he could do as far as a discount and go from there.

If a custom shop of any kind is accessible to me, I go there on a weekly basis to check progress.  I show up unannounced and a different times.  I don't mind if they've got other work, but I do expect to see progress throughout the build or paint.

In your situation, I'd go tomorrow, why wait.  I'd just drop in, saying I was in the neighborhood.  I'd rather see progress and know the project is moving along than wait for the final product.

If you gave 50% down and that was $1k, you probably got one hell of a deal on custom paint with airbrushing.  I wouldn't ask for a discount, I'd just show up.  And if in the end you're happy with the finished product, I'd recommend him and inform of the time delays.  And if I really liked it, I'd go back, and request that since I am a returning customer, I don't pay anything until it's ready for sanding or something.

Just some thoughts.

...I would not mention a discount until the bike is finished.  You do not want a discounted custom paint job.
When you get your bike completed and before you have given him payment..just ask if he would mind knocking some $$ off for the extra time you were without the bike as promised....it never hurts to ask.

If a custom shop of any kind is accessible to me, I go there on a weekly basis to check progress.  I show up unannounced and a different times.  I don't mind if they've got other work, but I do expect to see progress throughout the build or paint.

In your situation, I'd go tomorrow, why wait.  I'd just drop in, saying I was in the neighborhood.  I'd rather see progress and know the project is moving along than wait for the final product.

If you gave 50% down and that was $1k, you probably got one hell of a deal on custom paint with airbrushing.  I wouldn't ask for a discount, I'd just show up.  And if in the end you're happy with the finished product, I'd recommend him and inform of the time delays.  And if I really liked it, I'd go back, and request that since I am a returning customer, I don't pay anything until it's ready for sanding or something.

Just some thoughts.
+1 You really should have stopped in and stayed on this guy as in,at his shop every few days,especially after he went days and weeks past the dew date. To heck with the surprise man, he's reading you as a push over and feeding you one line after another while he is doing other guys work. He may be good but talk is cheap.

+1..I can feel your pain...my guy has had my stuff since January, but his work is pretty sick and I kinda had a hunch that this was going to take a bit...good work is worth waiting for...I know it's hard..I've got the itch bad...and the longer my bike stays apart the more stuff I find and want to do to it to keep me busy and my mind off the plastics...as far as the discount...thats your call...if you did send him two other paint jobs, I don't see why he would mind knockin something off

I had a similar experience, but with a chrome shop which can be just as bad. Best bet is to stay on him. Don't get bent out of shape with him becuase it may very well affect the final outcome. He's not going to totally screw you because his rep is on the line but it may not be as good as you were hoping if he gets pissed. Go there and talk to him personally. Don't come off as the push over and reiterate what you and he agreed to beforehand but keep your cool.

hopefully it'll work out for you. things do come up. i avoid that by letting my clients know my paintjobs take at least a month.

Have had the same thing happen with some stuff I had painted,your the fish and he's got you hooked.  I've seen this same BS pulled so many times with different types of contractors, tell you what you want to hear to get their foot in the door, they know they can do it but absolutely no clue how long it'll take then play you till it's done. It's no sweat off their back, they're use to it and it's business as usual. Your not the only one he's painting stuff for and probably delaying.  

Don't keep calling and don't show up unexpectedly,what if it's only half done? you'll only drive yourself "more" crazy and become "more" depressed with the next and constant letdown and despite what he promised you, your festering along with him and obviously it's not helping.  Just wait till he calls you then go pick it up at your convenience and deal with him at that point, find and do something else for yourself at the moment and take your mind off of it. It'll be done when its done and if you really can't stand it anymore and have to go there,do it with the intent of picking your stuff up,what else would a visit serve - another letdown?

It's no sweat off their back, they're use to it and it's business as usual.
That is SO TRUE !!! Maybe not all people, but alot. They'll say whatever it takes at that time, and then worry about next time....next time.

BUT......what usually happens is, you see your bike when it's all done, and LOVE IT !!!! Then you forget all about the bad, hug the guy, then recomend him to everyone that's looking to get thier bike painted.

Custom work from a quality provider is worth waiting for and even suffering for. I wouldn't hesitate to go check out his progress but stay cool, man. By the time it's done, if it's everything you said it will be, you'll be glad you waited. You'll probably forget about a discount once you see it.

Stay politic, too. Don't threaten or complain or whatever else. If he's as good as you say, then hang tough. You'll be glad you did. Sometimes the best providers of a service are also the most difficult to convince to get on a schedule.

--Wag--

yea, im mixed on what i want to do. i was surprised when he said 2 weeks, just because i knew it was pretty detailed work.. but then again, i have no idea how to paint a bike, so maybe it didnt take as long as i thought. and yes, im actually getting a decent deal, on top of paying cash. I guess ill just have 2 see where things are at friday..but i think im going to show up unexpectedly fri afternoon if i got no phone call.

Back