Doing my first 600 mile service tomorrow.

funnyman3000

Registered
Well just got off the phone with Killeen Supersport in Texas and they wanted $230 for the 600 mile service. I've had 2 bikes before and never done a service myself because the price was not this steep. I'm going to the dealer to buy an oil filter and motor oil (looks like I'll need 4 quarts from what I read).I don't have any tools or equipment besides what came with the bike, so I've added an oil/drip pan and a torque wrench to my shopping list. Anything else I need to get so I don't get stuck half way? Any tips or tricks? This will be my first time taking off my fairing too.
Posted via Mobile Device

There is a good pinned thread to remove the fairing. I was afraid to remove mine at first but after that thread, I now have my right fairing off and on in about 5 minutes. You also may want to get one of those oil filter tools to help you loosen the oil filter.

Don't forget to rub a little fresh oil on the seal of the new oil filter before you put it on. Or you'll play hell getting it off next time around.

the write up makes taking the fairing off easy stuff.

have a filter wrench or channel locks to get the filter on and off.

Make sure when you take off the old oil filter that the o-ring comes off with it or you'll have leaks later on.

I also had to get a 36mm socket, hex sockets, and I still need to get a socket for the funky bolt on top of the triple tree.

A rear and front stand will make things easier. I also had to remove the nose so I could get to the bolts on the fork to torque them down.

I think that's everything I came across when I did this service myself back in June.

Take your time with it and plan a whole day to do it so you're not in a rush and mess something up. :thumbsup:

Do you have spools on the back for a rear stand?
It makes it alot easier for clearance for draining into a pan.

If you need some support/tool use and want to ride it up HWY 84 east a small distance I am in Hewitt about 30 minutes from Ft Hood. I will be free Staurday afternoon.

Vice grip makes a filter vicegrip . If you use that or something similar there is no need to take the fairing all the way off .Just remove the two side bolts two bottom push pins and the pushpin neat the raidiator. Then the fairing will ease out enough to get your hand and filter in and out. the vicegrip filter wrench will fit thru the vent hole on the fairing to losten the filter to hand tight. Also the bike wont take all 4 qts put in 3 start it for a few seconds then use the 4th to fill to the full mark . You should have 1/3-1/4th of the 4th qt left. If you dont have spools a 1 gal icecream bucket fits perfectly with it on the side stand.:beerchug:

I think everything has just about been covered. Make sure the plastic cover on the filter is removed before screwing it on and read the entire fairing removal thread because you'll do a little additional work if you don't :thumbsup:

oil filter cap w/ socket end helps quite a bit. put some aluminum foil over the header pipes if you don't want the burn off or mess. it is well worth it than dropping $230. :beerchug:

There's more to the 600 mile service than just oil and filter. Check the owners manual to make sure you don't miss anything. Adj. chain, throttle cable etc

Found the fairing removal thread and reading it next. Thanks for the offer BlueHaya, but I found one of those do-it-yourself mechanic shops that just have a small charge to use all their tools/drip pans/etc so I'll just take it by there instead of making a mess in my driveway.

Get a K&N oil filter, they have a hex nut molded into the end, (same size as the drain plug) so it will be very easy to take off, for the next oil change

make sure to properly torque the drain plug during reinstall.....they strip easy

Too late on the K&N filter, already picked up the suzuki brand one the dealer gave me. Next time for sure tho, I like K&N.
I took off the fairing tonight with not too much of a problem. I read on the other thread it was taking people 3 or 4 hours to do it so I figured I'd get a head start. Took about an hour, but there were some moments where I had to use force when pulling the fairing off that were real scary. I think putting it on will be just as difficult even tho everyone said that's the easy part. Took my exhaust canisters off while I was under there. My Hotbodies tips should arrive tomorrow and I'll throw those on there too. Tempted to do the exhaust pipe wrap and install my scorpion alarm this weekend too but don't wana overload my first time working on the bike.
Anyways time to drink up the night :beerchug: and work on it tomorrow.

When I got my bike, I did 550 miles in two days, and had it apart to do everything at once.
You have it apart, you might as well do everything.
I did the service, full exhaust, tree spacers, heli bars, HIDs, all in a weekend.

Vice grip makes a filter vicegrip . If you use that or something similar there is no need to take the fairing all the way off .Just remove the two side bolts two bottom push pins and the pushpin neat the raidiator. Then the fairing will ease out enough to get your hand and filter in and out. the vicegrip filter wrench will fit thru the vent hole on the fairing to losten the filter to hand tight. Also the bike wont take all 4 qts put in 3 start it for a few seconds then use the 4th to fill to the full mark . You should have 1/3-1/4th of the 4th qt left. If you dont have spools a 1 gal icecream bucket fits perfectly with it on the side stand.:beerchug:

Manual says it is 3.5 quarts with filter change. Not sure why you are using more than 3.5 quarts. That has been spot on for me.

Last edited:
Manual says it is 3.5 quarts with filter change. Not sure why you are using more than 3.5 quarts. That has been spot on for me.

Yeah, I always wonder why people put more oil in. I guess if they are riding wheelies a lot then the extra oil is good. I put in the 3.5 and use the extra .5 for chain lube. :thumbsup:

Back