DODGE is crap!

(GSXcite @ Oct. 13 2006,15:52)
(guido4512 @ Oct. 13 2006,11:49)
(mzrsq @ Oct. 13 2006,14:05) What year?
What Engine?

I'm on my third Dodge Ram all bought new,a 2001 with the 360 traded for an 03 with the Hemi and then traded for an 05 Daytona with the Hemi.  I have never had one single problem with any of the 3 trucks thus far and my general service has always been goo at my local dealer.

Sorry for your frustration.
I have owned nothing but Dodge and won't own any thing else. Never a problem.
Take a look at the Ford recalls.  
rock.gif
All manufacturers have recalls. Fact is, the ford F-150 has not only been the best selling truck for 27 years, it has been the best selling vehicle period. Must be a reason. I would suggest for anyone who is in the truck market to contact me, and let me send you a DVD that takes apart the ford truck, and the competitors trucks to show how they are built.
Yes, every manufacturer has recalls.
Sorry, but I know personally, at least 3 people who currently own new Ford trucks. Fact is - Each and every one of of them has FAILED in one way or another while still new.
I can can also think back over the 20 years I've been working here of all the people who've come and gone that owned Ford trucks and were having trouble after trouble after trouble with them.  Ford is the best truck period? Don't think so. Some continue to buy more Ford trucks "cuz thats what daddy always drove", some went to Toyota or Nissan , and some went to Chevy or Dodge.
Sounds like a personal preference.

smile.gif

beerchug.gif

(HillsRider @ Oct. 13 2006,12:37) Sounds like you need to find a new dealer. This is like calling your Busa junk because your dealer sucks..  
argue.gif
+1. I had a Pontiac that seemed to spend more time at the dealer than at home for the first six months. I switched dealers. The new dealer had the car for one day, and I didn't have any trouble with the car.

I have a Dodge Ram 1500 with 120,000 miles on it. Its now my 3rd vehicle so it doesn't get driven much anymore, but when it does they are tough miles pulling a load.

had a 97 dakota slt, drove the shid out of it on lease, posi track w/ 318ci. not one problem. after the lease i bought a 00 dakota r/t 360ci, drove the shid out of it even harder, only problem was a small leaky crank seal at under 3k miles, prolly cause i dragstripped it and ignored break in procedures. fixed under warranty. only other problem was a leaky evaporator core which i was told common on those trucks. wouldnt buy anything else but a dodge. and as far as the work trucks go....all i see around here on the road are dodge 2500 and 3500 duallies.

DakotaRT14.jpg

Just Bought my 4th Dodge truck last week. Was considering going with a Ford but the numbers just never got where I need them to be Despite some VERY helpful input. Dealership just wouldn't give me real trade-in on the 03.
Here's my Dodge History... First Dodge truck bought in 1999. Basic LWB Work Truck. Lemon Lawed it 8 months in because Dealership was too stupid/stubborn to listen to the driver as to the Trucks Problem. Simple problem but the "Techs" couldn't find a code to tell them what was wrong so they got stumped. (Talked with the dealership that got it after me, told them what was wrong and the problem was fixed $75 Later) ANYWAY, When I lemon lawed it I was paid for every improvement made to the vehicle since it's purchase for the amount shown on the receipt. I had a 10 year old stereo boom system in it but had my receipts so I found $1500 there plus bedliner rain guards runningboards etc. All with Retail receipts. They special ordered a truck to my specs and it took 4 months to get it. No problem though, I kept driving my truck while waiting knowing all my monthly payments would be put towards the new truck . Made out like a bandit! The 2000 Dodge LWB SLT lasted 95,000 miles and developed a tranny problem in the OD because they use plastic gears. Traded it in on a new 4X4 leftover 02 Chevy. WOW, What a bad decision! 45000 miles is all that truck could take so i dumped it. Traded off for an 03 Dodge 4X4 SLT. Put 85K on it with no problems but Tranny started acting up so out the door she goes! The newest Dodge is an 06 Mega Cab SLT 4X4. Tranny has been re-designed and is all steel and brass inside. Built on the 3/4 ton framework it will work very well. The newest hemi in this truck is quieter more powerful and more fuel effecient than any of the previous vehicles. Truly impressed. Saved $2000 over the competition so my wallet is happy too! Going to add a couple springs to the rear end and my 3/4 ton truck will be able to legally handle what i use them for. I'll put my 3500# trailer behind it and load up my 10000# forklift and hit the road to the jobsite on a monthly basis. Never had a problem with the weight in any of the vehicles except the chevy. Ended up borrowing a buddy's Dodge or 1 ton Ford on those days.
SO in short ( NOT) your problem is not Dodge. It's your dealership. ask the Service Manager for the phone number to the 5 star line. Use the number and ask Detriot why it takes 2 months to get a timing chain issue handled. You'll be amazed what can happen!!!

(guido4512 @ Oct. 14 2006,03:10)
(GSXcite @ Oct. 13 2006,15:52)
What Engine?

I'm on my third Dodge Ram all bought new,a 2001 with the 360 traded for an 03 with the Hemi and then traded for an 05 Daytona with the Hemi.  I have never had one single problem with any of the 3 trucks thus far and my general service has always been goo at my local dealer.

rock.gif
All manufacturers have recalls. Fact is, the ford F-150 has not only been the best selling truck for 27 years, it has been the best selling vehicle period. Must be a reason. I would suggest for anyone who is in the truck market to contact me, and let me send you a DVD that takes apart the ford truck, and the competitors trucks to show how they are built.
Yes, every manufacturer has recalls.
Sorry, but I know personally, at least 3 people who currently own new Ford trucks. Fact is - Each and every one of of them has FAILED in one way or another while still new.
I can can also think back over the 20 years I've been working here of all the people who've come and gone that owned Ford trucks and were having trouble after trouble after trouble with them.  Ford is the best truck period? Don't think so. Some continue to buy more Ford trucks "cuz thats what daddy always drove", some went to Toyota or Nissan , and some went to Chevy or Dodge.
Sounds like a personal preference.

smile.gif

beerchug.gif
I know a few people who own Ford trucks too. In fact I have sold hundreds of Ford trucks to my customers. I started my automotive career selling Chrysler products for 12 years, so I know a little about them too. I left Chrysler because I could not look a customer in the face and tell them I thought they were buying a good product, and I would not take my customers through the service department when they were shopping our store as required by store managers. Why ? At any given time, our service dept. was full of vehicles on lifts with the transmission on the bench, or engines with blown head gaskets. Granted, mopar has made improvements recently, and their design team is awesome. I love the looks of many of their vehicles, but it's whats under the sheetmetal that counts for me. If you have had good luck with Chrysler I'm happy for you. I have owned two, and the transmission went out on both.

(GSXcite @ Oct. 13 2006,12:52)
What Engine?

I'm on my third Dodge Ram all bought new,a 2001 with the 360 traded for an 03 with the Hemi and then traded for an 05 Daytona with the Hemi. I have never had one single problem with any of the 3 trucks thus far and my general service has always been goo at my local dealer.

rock.gif
I'm in the market and would love to see the DVD-

My 1996 Ram 1500 with 318 has 160,000 miles and still runs LIKE NEW. I am very meticulous with maintence though. I had the trans rebuilt after 110K, but I was trying to blow it up at 90K with 2 minute burnouts to get warranty to cover it, but it went out 10K after the warranty. I love my truck and cannot justify replacing it with another $35,000 new one. I don't see why anyone here doesn't just repair their vehicles when they break down. My truck has been paid for for a long time and I bet I don't put more than $2000 a year into it, usually for things it doesn't need but I want. Much cheaper than a new car payment. This is why I have bought 4 new bikes in the last 3 years, it's much cheaper to have a bike payment and I can switch up my bikes.

Chrysler and Dodge service departments suck. I hate them. They all need to die terrible deaths..... I own a 300C and love the car but took my car in 8 times for the same problem and never did get it fixed. I have a Cadilliac and the service is awesome. Give us rental car right away (always nice car) and if they take too long we do not even have to replace gas. My Cadilliac always comes back washed and waxed too.

everyone has different experiences...
I own my dad's '99 Dodge Durango w/Magnum v-8, and its on 156k right now- but it does have a list of 'quirks'= rear windows dont work, foglights are out, speaker in driver's door is blown, engine has start-up issues when it gets cold, ABS/Check Engine/Brake warning lights are always on...and the rear diff is gettin ready to give up (just replaced tranny last year @ 140k) too-oh and speedo doesnt work below 35 mph...but when it doesnt work, neither does the odometer, so I can live with that ;p

my dad bought a new '05 Durango, and after three months the radio started givn him issues...took it in n got a replacement-still had problems...took in third time and they forgot to order parts (i think Parts mngr had head up azz) so trip #4 got him new radio and now all is fine. I drove it many times, and I love that new Hemi engine in there and it handles unbelievably for a truck, IMO.

Im with Blk954-i plan to fix all the lil stuff, keep my truck at least 2 more years, then my wife's 300C (that we bought new in March and now has over 10k on it...and I drive it alot, so it gets a heavy dose of right foot every week-we've both pushed it over 140mph, and it has given us ZERO problems) should be paid off, and I will be getting a Dodge Ram SRT-10 Quad cab (unless someone else makes a faster truck that looks more badazz than that-but I dont see that happening).

BUT ON A SIDE NOTE DODGE HASNT HAD A DECENT TRANNY SINCE??? OH NEVER
[/Quote]
Exactly,I am having tranny problems and my POS only has 46000 miles!!

(magus @ Oct. 13 2006,13:19) Engine in my dodge ram blew, they have had it for over a month now and said it would be ready wednesday I went there yesterday and the manager said parts are on back order and it will be another month. He was smilling when he said it so I figured he was joking and shooting me some bs. so I laughed it off and said no really is my truck ready. he said no I told you another month!

eek2.gif
WTF!!!  
guns.gif
Sounds to me there just a crappy bussines
pissed.gif

all you gotta know about dodge is this..

"shiney new wrappers, same old junk underneath."

you guys braggin about a vehicle that you rebuilt the tranny AND rebuilt the motor before it got to 125,000 miles have got to kidding me.

while we are all on the .. "I had a...." or "so and so had a"... stories.....

I had a 90 chevy 305, 5 sp. it STILL has the original engine at 280,000 miles and 4 owners... 2 of which can claim it as "my first vehicle" I bought it from a guy at 70,000 at 18yo, gave it to my younger brother at 230,000 mile when he was 19 (replaced rear end.. YAH! it needed limited slip anyway)... he drove it to 265,000 (replaced trans) and then we sold it to my neighbor (split the money) and he is still driving it today.... everyday.

I was tryign to think of what else happened along the way.. I believe we replaced ball joints/steering junk at about 245,000 miles or so.. clutches about every 80,000 miles... I don't blame the truck for that though
beerchug.gif

anyway... point i'm making is 100,000 miles on a vehicle... it damn well better not be needing a major component in my opinion.

(GSXcite @ Oct. 13 2006,06:52) Fact is, the ford F-150 has not only been the best selling truck for 27 years, it has been the best selling vehicle period.
ford, nor the f150 are not the best selling vehicle in america..

can't believe you missed it as GM spent several hundred million making sure you realized they outsold ford last year.. haha.

all a meaningless bunch of garbage... but since you brought it up.

(BigmanZ @ Oct. 16 2006,08:14)
(runeight @ Oct. 13 2006,12:55) I have heard of that DVD. Would like to see it.

runeight...
Who needs a DvD when ya got the internet?  
biggrin.gif

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/truth/
That's a pretty funny Ford commercial............

BWAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHA!  
laugh.gif

Truth about trucks - give me a break.

I found it to target Toyota and Nissan in particular in their "ad" I mean test.
This link Ford link is part of the reason why: a loss of market to foreign makers.......

(mrninja9 @ Oct. 13 2006,16:31) ME TOO

BUT ON A SIDE NOTE  DODGE HASNT HAD A DECENT TRANNY  SINCE???  OH NEVER
Yeah- kinda reminds me of the Busa transmission that can't hold it's second gear.
laugh.gif

(pure_ego @ Oct. 16 2006,06:46)
(GSXcite @ Oct. 13 2006,06:52) Fact is, the ford F-150 has not only been the best selling truck for 27 years, it has been the best selling vehicle period.
ford, nor the f150 are not the best selling vehicle in america..

can't believe you missed it as GM spent several hundred million making sure you realized they outsold ford last year.. haha.

all a meaningless bunch of garbage... but since you brought it up.
I stand corrected, Ford F-series: best selling trucks 29 years running. Looks like we will agree to disagree on this one. One thing I will agree with you on, is that you have great taste in motorcycles.
beerchug.gif

(Spigga @ Oct. 13 2006,11:17)
(brendanp @ Oct. 13 2006,13:40) I have a Dodge ram 2500 y2k V10 and I will never buy another dodge product again...
I'm looking at Japanese for now on!!

I used to be "Buy American Products Moron" but not anymore.
F' that
Odd. I had a '92 Caddy SLS which was wrecked so I used the insurance money to get a '92 Caddy STS. It started giving me problems so I traded it for a '04 Silverado. I got a truck incase I ever had to transport the Busa. Now for some odd reason I'm about to trade the Silverado in for a Nissan Titan.

I guess after owning so many GM vehicles, I just want to try something else.
I was a tech at a nissan dealer for a while, DON'T GET A TITAN!!! they are junk! They have good power, but that's all they have. They have the same brakes as an altima, they start rattling after a few K miles, and the intterior falls apart. We had more titans and armadas come through the shop than anything else. Had many brake problems under 100mi! Two of our customers got in accidents because of brake failure! Btw, they may tell you that they resolved the brake problem on them, all they did was start using diferent pads and thicker rotors. It didn't fix anything, the brake assembly is still WAY to small for a full size truck.

The reason the ford F-series is the best selling truck in the US is because they have a contract with the biggest truck buyer in the US: Kiewit construction. A friend of mine works for them... ford sells them new trucks for ~7000. They use them for 2-3 years and then resell them for more than they paid originally. (Now don't you feel like you're getting ripped off @ 30k+? Granted these trucks are totally base models).

If Kiewit switched to chrysler or gm, they would suddenly have the best selling truck...

I've heard a lot more bad experiences with ford's than I have from gm or chrysler vehicles. My dad was a salesman for all of them at one time or another, and we've had some of each. We have 4 chrysler vehicles right now with between 85-150k miles on them, none of which has ever had an engine, tranny, diff, or any other major component replaced.

But then again, I know of 1980's toyota pickups that commonly run over 400k. I heard a rumor years back that toyota was trying to buy them back so they could figure out what made those trucks so bulletproof. Anyone seen the top gear episode where they tried (unsuccessfully) to destroy one? Quite an amusing episode.

Ok, i found it for you:
part1:

part2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back