Dodge ram transmission problems.

mikev7

Registered
Today my truck broke down on me. Its a 02 ram 1500 4x4 with 84000 miles. I got a error code the other day that said my overdrive solenoid was broken. Today my trans completely stopped working.

It catches sometime till about 30 mph than completely stops transferring power to the ground. Anyone know what this is?

Its ad the dodge dealership, i just would like to know so im not scammed.

It's a DODGE! I have a 2000 2500 4X4 V10 gas... At 45000 I hadda put a rebuilt tranny in. Consider yourself ahead of the game compared to me. They are known to have sh-itty trannys

Now now be nice! I have an 04 3500 DRW 4x4 with 35' mudders and a Banks 6 gun setup. I have 52K miles on it and it has never seen the inside of a service bay at the dealer. What tranny do you have? Would it be the 47RE?

I dont know. I have whichever comes with the 5.9l gas engine. Both the front and rear wheels have limited slip differentials. I dont drive on the street with 4wd on. Im sure this stuff has nothing to do with the trans but..

I dont know. I have whichever comes with the 5.9l gas engine. Both the front and rear wheels have limited slip differentials. I dont drive on the street with 4wd on. Im sure this stuff has nothing to do with the trans but..
I had a 97, 5.9, 4x4. The tranny was ok, but slipped in reverse when I sold it. Truck had about 85k on it. You have to service these tranny's every 12k miles for them to last. I wont buy another dodge for while. Not sure how the new models hold up. Back to GM for me.

So, the lifetime warranty on the power train is a good thing then. Wonder why Dodge is doing that?

r8

my cousin had dodge 4x4 bad tranny, friend of mine has 3500 duelly been through 2 trannys

I have 2 (2001 1500's ) Off Road Pkg, Both with automatics & 4:10.1 gears, My wifes 2001 has 110,000 miles No problems at all , My 2001 89,000 miles & lifted with 35's & 4:10.1 gears No problems at all. I do know that on Automatics when you service you are recommended by Dodge to add an Additive designed for Dodges with automatics.
thumb_up.gif

I hear that dodge thing a lot. I like my truck personally. I have been through ford (98 f150) chevy (07 silverado
sad.gif
:( ) and dodge and nothing can compare with the vertsality of the enterrior of the dodge. So the trucks have shi##y transmissions. No big thing, s#it..

I had a Dakota RT that I couldn't keeps a trans in.

I have a 2003 1500 now that has over 100,000 miles on it with no problems as of yet.
thumb_up.gif

Oh, you may want to check out www.dodgetalk.com
If you look in the 3rd Gen section you should come up with some answers.

sorry to hear 'bout your bad luck... I love my Dodge.. 150000 and still doing great... put 190000 on the one I had before this one.. gonna buy another Dodge when it's time for a new one.

I also hadda put Cat converters on mine! And both my wheel bearings went bad, but I contribute that to the 35" tires.

I have 2 (2001 1500's ) Off Road Pkg, Both with automatics & 4:10.1 gears, My wifes 2001 has 110,000 miles No problems at all , My 2001 89,000 miles & lifted with 35's & 4:10.1 gears No problems at all. I do know that on Automatics when you service you are recommended by Dodge to add an Additive designed for Dodges with automatics.  
thumb_up.gif
You can buy this additive off the shelf at any parts store.It's called TRANS-X.And it works it will clean gumned up seals and swell them back to life.Most problems start with an internal sealing problem caused by gum deposites.twotones slipping reverse would benifit from 1 pint of this stuff.TOYOTA uses it in there ATF.I've used for 15 years as a preventive maintenance and never had a problem out of my Chevy's.

Something I learned in a GM class at work.At 200 degrees todays ATF WILL NOT break down.But at
350 degrees it's trashed in 15 minutes.So if you tow or have larger tires or off road and don't have an external trans cooler...GET-R-DONE!!!These trannies in these heavy trucks have to be serviced to last.

There's also a silocone additive out there to help with keeping the solenoids lubed up,to keep them from sticking but I don't know what it is.

NK sounds like the dodge fluid works good
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

(Dodge fourm) is very good for info.I got an 03 1500 ram but it's a 5-spd. if it was an auto I would have never got it.

My roommates 02 Dodge 1500 4x4 went through 5 trannies before 100,000 miles.And we NEVER took it offroad.City truck. Good luck
beerchug.gif

Back