Why can't we reply to the above post on Ford trucks?

Big Bo

Registered
I think Ford has the best looking Heavy Duty truck. But it takes more than looks to get my money.

Ford Diesel fuel economy SUCKS!! Not knocking you, just telling it like it is.

A contractor that works for us asked me what truck to buy? I told him Ford looks best, gets the worst fuel mileage. Chevy/GMC has the tranny hands down, Dodge has the engine and best fuel mileage. He bought 2 brand new 4x4 3/4 ton Diesel trucks. Beautiful vehicles. A couple months later I asked how is the Diesel holding up? He looked at me with a scowl. 9-10 mpg going up hill or down hill, does`nt matter if it is empty or not. His company pays for the fuel so he will live with it. He asked what does my Dodge Cummins get fuel wise? 18 mpg when I drive it hard, 20-21 mpg when I baby it. Guess what he said?

dodge has the best fuel mileage? You do know that the Dodge Ram with the 5.7 Hemi gets worse gas mileage than a Lamborghini....just sayin.

A new dodge will not get that kind of mileage. Depending on how many miles hes racked up mileage will improve. I've driven more dodge cummins trucks than anything. I hate them. Id take a 6.0 ferd over a cummins in a gum wrapper any day.

Trucker street knowledge.. Wow.. That is because it is a bloody arms race. The most powerful and notorious tanks in history were the worst guzzlers.. They had to have close support just around the corner with tankers. The Most notorious jet's need that too and go ahead and guess who has the worlds most expensive fuel bill?

You want the maximum dreadnought on the road? Buy the newest F350 Powerstroke and tune it for 800 horsepower to run like a boosted civic just like on fast and the furious.. That is the fast attack tank.. The M1 Abrams? Tracking? Copy that? Army mechanized division jargon...

What kind of oil should I use?

It's not luck that Ford has led every truck segment for the last 30 years.

I'd push a powerstroke before I drove a duramax.. Just sayin'...

If I could get a new (2010 or newer) F250 or F350 with a Cummins diesel I'd buy one no matter what. Diesel isn't for me, I drive about 5 miles a day, I'd choke one, and never get heat in the winter. :laugh:

A couple months later I asked how is the Diesel holding up? He looked at me with a scowl. 9-10 mpg going up hill or down hill, does`nt matter if it is empty or not.

Unless I'm missing something you didn't say which brand he ended up buying. Did he go with Ford?

I have two 6.0 Ford's and the fuel mileage can vary depending on your set up, tune, and driving habits.

When we got the X, it got about 16 mpg. Checked air pressure and someone had been running 32 lbs of air in 80 lbs load range E tires. Pumped up the tires to 60 lbs and the mileage went up to about 18. Put on a tune and increased the HP and while it was capable of using more fuel, as long as you kept your foot out of it the mileage increased. We got about 21.5 driving interstate going to FL.

The same X does not drop mileage enough to notice towing a 3500 lbs boat but drops to about 11 mpg towing a 10k trailer with a tall front end catching wind.

Our other truck, a 6.0 Lariat FX4 sits between 14.5 - 16 mpg without a custom tune. The X's always seem to get better mileage than the pickups anyway, however the pickup seems to get a little better mileage on the interstate towing the same 10k trailer. I think that difference may be in the gearing. I believe the X came with a higher gear for travel.

I had a friend running a power stroke 10 years ago said he got 21 MPG hauling hunters and gear to Minn. Not my story, can't be verified.

I have an 03 Dodge 2500 4x4 with the cummins TurboDiesel and 6sp manual.

Just finished a trip from CA to Illinois and back.

Highway speeds of 70/75mph = 17 mpg (not towing anything)
Highway speeds of 70/75mph = 15 mpg (towing a car)
Highway speeds of 55 = 18mpg (while towing a car) CA speed limit while towing is 55mph

Something that bears mentioning. Change your diesel's fuel filter every 10K miles or so. DO IT! It will not improve your fuel economy but the decrease in horsepower due to a dirty filter is dramatic.

On my Dodge is takes 5 minutes and is located right next to the engine. Unscrew cap, pop old filter out, new filter in, screw cap back on.

Change your diesel's fuel filter every 10K miles or so. DO IT! It will not improve your fuel economy but the decrease in horsepower due to a dirty filter is dramatic.

Ford's come with an option called the "take the nasty gunk out of the fuel and burn it up" package. :laugh:

Yeah, those fuel filters need to be changed at least once a year from what they say. 6.0 has one under the driver side frame rail and then another on top of the engine. About $50 a pop for both. Funny thing is, I have never seen either one be a bit dirty. Maybe we have decent diesel around here. :whistle:

My 12 FX4 with the 5.0 gets about 15.3 mpg, very happy with this truck.

Those are nice trucks but that mpg sucks.

My 2011 Tundra Trd 5.7 with 4:56 gears 4x4 got better mileage and it was the huge crew max.

My 2013 gmc Sierra gets 21 on the interstate and about 17-18 in town, it shuts down to 4 cyclinders when all 8 are not needed.

All you guys posting the absurd mileage numbers are either horrible at math, missed the point of buying a truck, or drive very slowly with a tailwind 24/7

I have an 03 Dodge 2500 4x4 with the cummins TurboDiesel and 6sp manual.

Just finished a trip from CA to Illinois and back.

Highway speeds of 70/75mph = 17 mpg (not towing anything)
Highway speeds of 70/75mph = 15 mpg (towing a car)
Highway speeds of 55 = 18mpg (while towing a car) CA speed limit while towing is 55mph

Something that bears mentioning. Change your diesel's fuel filter every 10K miles or so. DO IT! It will not improve your fuel economy but the decrease in horsepower due to a dirty filter is dramatic.

On my Dodge is takes 5 minutes and is located right next to the engine. Unscrew cap, pop old filter out, new filter in, screw cap back on.

Those are about what I've seen mpg wise.

Try that on an obs 6.7 cummins. Winner of worst fuel filter placement they are!

Unless I'm missing something you didn't say which brand he ended up buying. Did he go with Ford?

I have two 6.0 Ford's and the fuel mileage can vary depending on your set up, tune, and driving habits.

When we got the X, it got about 16 mpg. Checked air pressure and someone had been running 32 lbs of air in 80 lbs load range E tires. Pumped up the tires to 60 lbs and the mileage went up to about 18. Put on a tune and increased the HP and while it was capable of using more fuel, as long as you kept your foot out of it the mileage increased. We got about 21.5 driving interstate going to FL.

The same X does not drop mileage enough to notice towing a 3500 lbs boat but drops to about 11 mpg towing a 10k trailer with a tall front end catching wind.

Our other truck, a 6.0 Lariat FX4 sits between 14.5 - 16 mpg without a custom tune. The X's always seem to get better mileage than the pickups anyway, however the pickup seems to get a little better mileage on the interstate towing the same 10k trailer. I think that difference may be in the gearing. I believe the X came with a higher gear for travel.

Ford. How did I miss that?

I own a '12 F250 SuperCrew 4x4 with the 6.7PSD. I average 17mpg up over the mountain every day. 42 miles round trip at 55-70mph. I also will pull a 9000lb travel trailer (Keystone Outback) and I get about 12-13 depending on a bunch o' stuff.

Love my truck and wouldn't trade it for any other brand/make/model.

Back