"Do you accept cash?"

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
at any given moment, if you robbed me, you could get anywhere from 5 - 500 cash from my wallet. Yes, I still carry cash. Does anyone else? In the age of plastic, bank machines, debit cards, direct deposite paycheck, insta-credit grocery shopping and gas pumps why carry cash?

I'll tell ya why. For the reality of it. Rather than seeing some erasable, deletable, string of numbers on a computer screen, in an email, on a printed slip or listening to some faceless female voice on the phone tell me how much I make or spend, I like to see it. When I plunk down $100 CASH for something, I am reminded how many hours of work went into earning that - how my skill created the system of trade for me to earn this new toy... and I feel like I just killed a wild buffalo with a spear and dragged it home for dinner. Seeing, feeling, smelling, tasting [?] that ACTUAL PHYSICAL cash, makes it harder to spend and more respected... to me. I have a bank card and abuse it like everyone else - $20 out here $60 there, but I wasn't really in touch with why I can get money out of a machine anytime I want. I WANTED to feel that lump in my wallet telling me "Bravo, man! you did good and time to spend your rewards!"

Maybe it's just me. One of the fun things I do when buying something is to ask the cashier, "Do you still accept cash?" They usually smile or laugh and say of course they do.

But I imagine there will come a day when the "credits" you earn on your WORK ACCOUNT will just be sets of numbers and that filthy green cash and metal coins will no longer be needed.

But you don't need to rob me.... if you just ask, I'll give you some cuz in the grand scheme of life, it's just paper.

1934A$1000FRNSnJ00036709A.jpg

Man, why is it everytime I read one of your posts like this it always makes me think. Now I wanna start carrying cash again. Thanks again for pulling me back to reality and realizing how by not carrying the cash, i'm just living in the plastic world. Thank you again.
beerchug.gif

carry very little cash, everone better get used to a cashless society..it is coming

The biggest thing I hate about cash is the coins, firgg'in coins. What a pain.

And the other is handling the same crap as others. There are some scummy people out there with some horrid diseases, herpes, etc...
wow.gif

I love the plastic
beerchug.gif

Plastic only for 20+ years. Never have more than a few bucks on me. ATMs are usually near by if someone doesn't accept

I like cash in my pocket as it gives me some preconceived restraint on spending.

I allow myself so much cash from each paycheck and when that's gone, then It's meager returns till the next. With plastic is so easy to forget those limits. when I reach in my pocket and it's empty, it's time to go home.
all_coholic.gif

Rarely do I have more than a 20 on me. I lose stuff too easily, if I lose my plastic all I gotta do is make a call and put a hold on it

CASH- 90% of the time. I always have money on me. I cant understand how people can go around with $2.00 in their pockets? That bothers me!! LOL Just a quirk I guess

no less than a benjamin on me at all times.just never know whats going to be needed or wanted at the the next stop.then plastic for anything more than 100 bucks.green still the biggest motivator in most people.

Mostly plastic and pay off at end of month. Easier and have automatic paper records of purchases for files. I still don't use debit card. I keep register in check book. Haven't bounced a check in my life. Been writing checks since 1978.

(extreemachine @ Mar. 10 2007,20:06) I cant understand how people can go around with $2.00 in their pockets?  
That's because that type of person is usually bumming off everybody else  
biggrin.gif

I recently started carrying cash only just to make myself spend more wisely! for the new acct I opened in Atlanta I didn't get a debit card just because I wanted to make myself "put forth the effort" to spend if I was going to spend! So... I only carry cash (small amounts now). I no longer use a debit card for easy access.

Sure... the CC's are there, but only if I need them. The main problem was the visa check (debit) card! It's history, now! So I'm a cash-carrying mofo right now!!!

If WWJD is reading this... i hope the xps is still holding up for you! I loved that computer and hated to see it go!!! I was desperate at the time and you got a killer deal!... so I hope you are still loving the power that computer delivers!!! It was 3k brand new!!!! AHHHH!!!!! I still hate thinking about that cost! But... I didn't need it and you did, so I hope you're enjoying it still!

(DaCol. @ Mar. 11 2007,00:16)
(extreemachine @ Mar. 10 2007,20:06) I cant understand how people can go around with $2.00 in their pockets?  
That's because that type of person is usually bumming off everybody else  
biggrin.gif
Or maybe we get tired of people bumming off of us, so we quit carrying cash so it's easier to say no

... that laptop PWNED alienware upon its release in late 04 into mid 05. I stopped following the race "for the best lappy" in 05. But, you got the best! I've used them all.... and I'm sure you can testify to the fact that that xps lapper is still rockin and rollin!!! It's 3.4ghz of hard drivin' performance!!!

x extreme
p performance
s system

I hope you got that... uh, well... I KNOW YOU GOT THAT!!!! THAT LAPTOP IS STILL MORE POWERFUL THAN MOST OF THE PCs ON THE MARKET AND THAT LAPTOP CAME OUT IN EARLY 05 (THE MODEL YOU HAVE, NOW!)......

Back