Discouraged, Disapointed & Damaged

V-Max 2 Busa

Registered
Well I set out today to get new rubber mounted on my baby. First off I've already got the new Dunlop Qualifers, Redline rear stand & Pit Bull front headshock stand so it would appear that everything is in order, right? Now keep in mind that I've never put a sport bike on these type of stands before but hey! it ain't rocket science, right? First I check out the manual to see what type of instructions it gives for wheel removal, why the hell would it be necessary to remove the fairings to take off the front wheel? Whatever, I'll just ignore that. So I placed a block under the kickstand to get the bike somewhat level and put the Redline rear stand in place (using spools) and remove the rear wheel, no problem. At this point I attempt to evaluate the Pit Bull headshock front stand, well the front section with the pin is impossible to fit between the fairing & fender so I remove all hardware for the fender to get enough clearance, now with the pin in place I gently push on the handle of the stand, as I'm doing this I'm noticing instead of the wheels on the fron stand rolling and allowing the stand to pivot into position it is actually pulling the bike & rear stand forward which leaves me feeling extremely weary about pushing the front stand completly into place thinking that that sudden movement forward may actually pull the bike off the rear stand so I chicken out and head out for a sandwich. In the meantime I had stopped off at Cycle Gear which is where I got the stand and they said " man, just go for it, just do it, it'l be fine" So I get back to the shop all raren to go, put the stand in place and go, HOLY CRAP!, when I pushed down on the handle of the front stand the rear stand pivoted forward instead of rolling just as I had previously anticipated, so now my Busa is basically on the ground and there is noone else in the entire complex, I guess it's a good thing I had the foresight to put the kick stand up before attempting the front stand or my baby would have ended up on her side. I was finally able to get some muscle to pick up the bike while I put the rear stand back in place, at that point I was just so disapointed that I locked up the shop and came home. What a very unproductive day, tires arn't mounted, I don't know what or if any damage occured from it falling off the stand, and the worst part is that I'm really not very confident in the stability of using these stands by yourself. I kinda assumed that they were designed to be a little more secure that this and that they were intended to be used by your self, WTF do I need a crew of spotters to use the things, crap I think with a littel inginuity, a canyon dancer, tie downs and a traditional floor jack I'd have gotten the job done today and not had to have dropped the bike on the ground as well. Any input welcome, does it sound like I could have done something wrong? Is a special rear stand required for use with the pit Bull headshock front stand?

I need to see a pic, but my rear stand sits under the swing arm and has no wheels... Also, I have the grab bar mod done so that I have something to hold the bike steady while I raise and lower her..

That sucks.

Sorry to read of your misfortune.

I have always installed the centerstand which enables field stripping both tires at the same time wherever I go.

Good luck with the stands.

I'll forward this to my boy MrKurtz who is the Orange, CT cycle gear GM, he will probably have an answer for you.

what a day Gene when ya go back to look at her i would check the brake line but if it droped off the stand i doubt it hurt anything did the stand itself rotate up and hit the bike to?

sorry to hear about your screwed up day man. I never changed tires before so i cant help. but you would think that these stants would be easier to use by yourself. i agree i had some problems myself trying to get the rear up by myself. Ozz showed me a trick today but i am yet to try it. Stay in there im sure there was no damage. i hope.
thumb_up.gif

Your problem may be with the two different manufactured stands. One might sit the bike higher than the other or twists or the rear stand would not move for some reason or something like that. I bought two stands from a local dealer back home and the rear stand had L shaped fingers that lifts from bottom of swingarm and the front has a pin that slide into the hole under the triple tree. My instructions said to put a towel on the fender and slide the lift in. If your bike is lowered then you will have problems. I also was warned later that the front stand will have to be used last and removed first. I learned that one the hard way. My bike flopped over like a fish when I removed the rear stand first. I had to get my dad to help lift it and lucky he had carpet in the shop so no scratches. Like you said about the rear stand it does roll forward when lifting the front stand. Both my stands have wheels on them. Hope you have better luck on the next try!

i just got home a bit ago. you want some help with that this evening. we could probably figure it out. i just gotta eat real quick. j

Hey I just thought of something, maybe I should have got it up on both stands before removing the rear wheel  
laugh.gif
 Duuuuhhhhhhhhh  
laugh.gif
, that'l give it something to fall on next time.  
tounge.gif

Thanks Ray, think I'm just gonna tackle it tomorrow morning, definely gonna put the back tire back on before attempting it again.

laugh.gif

I've never used a front stand to pull the front wheel. Just used a 1/2" piece of wood on my floor jack and raised her up off of the exhaust tubes. Done it a few times without ever having an issue.

Good luck.

Ya I read that in the manual, jackin up a 500lb bike from the header pipes dosen't really sound like a very smart idea to me but hell what do I know? Look what I did with all the proper equipement.

Ya I read that in the manual, jackin up a 500lb bike from the header pipes dosen't really sound like a very smart idea to me but hell what do I know? Look what I did with all the proper equipement.
I don't think your actually putting all 500 lbs on the headers. Wasn't necessarily worried about crushing the header as much as I was creating a leak at the flange.
So far so good though.

Hey I just thought of something, maybe I should have got it up on both stands before removing the rear wheel  
laugh.gif
 Duuuuhhhhhhhhh  
laugh.gif
, that'l give it something to fall on next time.  
tounge.gif
I was gonna say...

Up on both stands before you start removing wheels. ;)

I have the Pit Bull front/rear stands and have for a long time, never had any issue with them. The front IS in fact a little hard to get in there, but you can get the pin into the steerer tube without removing the front fender or anything else for that matter, it just takes a little doing.

If you aren't careful the front stand will pull the bike forward a bit. What I do is after I get the pin inserted, I pull up on the stand at the same time I push the handle down. For me at least, this seems to prevent it from rolling forward.

Same stands I have now (literally THE same stands) on my old RC51, which I desperately miss. I just bought the pin for the Busa and got spool stands for the rear (RC51 had no spool bosses).

bike_stand_800.jpg

I've never done the wood block on the stand thing, I personally think it's a bad idea. If things go wrong, it's nice to just be able to grab the bike and pull it as hard as you can towards the stand side KNOWING it's going to fall over onto the stand, the wood block sometimes will prevent that from happening.

I just get the stand in place with the 'fork' on one of the spools, push down on the lever and stand the bike up and hold on to the tail section. If you were careful when you put the stand in position the other 'fork' should more or less land right on the spool, then just lever it up. ;)

laugh.gif

Ya I read that in the manual, jackin up a 500lb bike from the header pipes dosen't really sound like a very smart idea to me but hell what do I know?  Look what I did with all the proper equipement.
I don't think your actually putting all 500 lbs on the headers. Wasn't necessarily worried about crushing the header as much as I was creating a leak at the flange.
So far so good though.
Headers, flanges, head itself as well as the head gasket, motor mounts not being designed to carry that kind of weight, etc.

NOTHING about jacking your bike up by the headers is a good idea.
thumb_down.gif

Hi Bro Gene, sorry to read of your troubles. I too have worried about this but as of yet have not had a problem. To be on the safe side, I have sometimes placed carpet/ Blanket or boxes on each side of the bike , just in case. It couldnt hurt to have an extra set of hands when you lift her up next time.

Gene, I've raised my bike up front and rear-dozens of times. Based on your description, what happens for me is AFTER the rear is hoisted, insert the tripletree pin in the front (having your hand cupped around it as you bring the loop part of the front stand across the top of the front fender/going slow is the key to no contact)then begin the lift BUT the rear stand must be able to roll 2" - 3" on the floor WHILE the front hoisting movement occurs. I have Pit Bull front and rear...does your Red Line have wheels? The purpose for wheels is to roll when hoisting the rear AND roll when hoisting the front.
Also, that Pit Bull should fit in the lower fork tripletree hole WITHOUT having to remove any body parts. I hope this helps,my friend! Doyle

(there's no fender in picture below because I was switching fork tubes)

front_fork_swap010.JPG

When lifting the front, I've always pushed down and toward the rear tire. This helps to swivel the wheels of the front stand under the front tire a bit and minimizes the roll effect on the rear stand.

+1 on getting the bike lifted before doing anything with the wheels. Also, it's good practice to leave your kickstand down. This way if the bike starts to fall you have a chance of the kickstand catching it (or you can try to help the bike onto the kickstand).

The good news, once you get this figured out, you'll love your stands and you'll be able to work the entire process on your own.

Wow, sorry for the hassle Gene. Wish I was around to help you, cant even comment on that type of stand as I use the one that goes under the fork/axle.

black_busa_015.jpg

Back