Direct fuel injection

Commuta_Busa

Donating Member
Registered
So the Porsche 911 (997) has been running the DFI system and has improved hp by 8.5% and torque by 5% while reducing fuel consumption by 7.8%. That's all with a larger engine from 3.6 to 3.8l. The system runs at a max pressure 1740 psi. Of course not all of the improvements are strictly accomplished by the DFI system but it plays a major role.

Any thoughts on this bleeding over into the motorcycle industry? Personaly I would luv to hear about someone making the jump.
super.gif

What other auto industry technical advances do you think would benefit the motorcycle industry?

That is alot of fuel pressure. They must use a multiple pump system to acheive that. I know that Ford is also working on an FI system that injects the fuel directly into the combustion chamber

seems a waste of resource and technology $$... Just too much to "go wrong" and with all the alternative fuel issues, you would have to make it capable of at least 2x flow...

Now if you combine this with a variable compression ratio, then it might pay off.. (diesel and gas motor)

I think the next thing you will see is traction control since it is already being used in racing. Possible variable cam timing may be a few years out.

I believe Mercury uses this system on thier Optimax V-6 marine motors.
thumb_up.gif

Back