Fuel Pump upgrade which pump ?

FORDDEE

Registered
OK Guys,
Here is my position ! i have a 2000 Busa been through 2 stock external fuel pumps ! tired of the stock junk ! :banghead: I'm looking to upgrade my system with an after market fuel system. my busa is around the 240 HP range running the wet nitrous kit. I'm getting the Aeromotive A1000-6 Injected Bypass Regulator and i need to select a fuel pump. Here is the tricky part ! I will be upgrading to a RCC stage 1 or 2 in the future and only want to buy 1 pump, so when i get the turbo i wont have to buy another fuel pump. I would like to get a pump that draws the least amount of amps and still can flow enough for the stage 1 or 2 turbo. some other questions are

whats the least amount of LPH fuel pump rating that a 180 HP Busa can run with out having fuel supply problems ?

whats the least amount of LPH fuel pump rating that a RCC stage 1 Busa can run with out having fuel supply problems ?

whats the least amount of LPH fuel pump rating that a RCC stage 2 Busa can run with out having fuel supply problems ?

Which one of these pumps would be best if i was not going to upgrade to the turbo. Take into account AMPS drawn, quality, Vapor lock, life span etc.

Aeromotive In-line EFI Electric Fuel Pump, P/N 11109
Aeromotive Inc. - High-Performance Fuel Systems & Fuel Pumps

Vortech 8F002-265
Vortech 8F002-265 - Vortech T-Rex Fuel Pump Assemblies - summitracing.com

Walbro Inline Fuel Pump GSL391 190LPH
Walbro Inline Fuel Pump GSL392 255LPH High Pressure
Walbro Inline Fuel Pumps

Accel 74701 Fuel Pump
Accel High Pressure Electric Fuel Pump - JEGS

Also what do you guys think about this fuel setup.

Tank to Fuel Filter to fuel Pump to Regulator from regulator to tank from regulator to fuel rails.

This setup saves you from buying an aftermarket fuel rail approx $300

I have heard by putting the regulator before the fuel rail causes the fuel pressure to be inconsistent. Is there that much of a fluctuation or inconsistency to be worried about with only 180 HP ?

Please feel free to chime in if you have any knowledge or experience on the above :beerchug:

sheesh lots of questions. Cheap isn't the best approach. If you focus on what the least amount of fuel you'll need with a turbo and/or nitrous system you're risking a melt down.

Your concern with amp draw is a more valid concern when you're trying to use the OE wire harness/elect system. The aero pump pulls alot of amps and is more race oriented. I prefer stand alone wiring for the fuel system with it's own dedicated relay, wiring, and fuse.

I would personaly suggest running the bosch pump with a turbo system or the walbro pump. Some have also had good success with the accel pump too.

As for the fuel system, a dead headed system isn't the best approach. I would suggest a tank->filter->pump->rail->reg->tank fuel system. You'll have more consistant fuel pressure with this approach. As for vapor lock that will be influenced by pump placement. You can always reduce the risk be thermowrapping the pump which is often suggested.

As for the minimum LPH it depends on the engines BSFC which is dependant on the engine efficiency.

It's not only the pump and regulator. It's also the fuel petcock. It's too small and you will need to install a bigger one.

Walbro pump and a Walbro adjustable regulator.

I use a T-rex fuel pump and a NOS adjustable regulator.

Petcockadapter2.jpg

Petcockadapter.jpg

It's not only the pump and regulator. It's also the fuel petcock. It's too small and you will need to install a bigger one.

Walbro pump and a Walbro adjustable regulator.

I use a T-rex fuel pump and a NOS adjustable regulator.

strange the petcock works fine for turbo bikes requiring much more fuel than a big bore would ever.:poke:

strange the petcock works fine for turbo bikes requiring much more fuel than a big bore would ever.:poke:

Yes but it is a restriction. If you map with the stock petcock and then install a Pingle petcock your mapping numbers can go down due to more fuel. Also the fuel pump works easier and runs cooler with a Pingle Petcock.

Hey Gixx1300R,
i have this same petcock 2 5/16 outlets, i was going to use it in place of the stock one because i have a 2000 Gas tank ! 1 line going to my NX wet kit and the other to the walbro 255lph pump. So ill be using the fuel pump that comes in the NX kit for the Busa and the 255lph Walbro. The guzzler valve flows 374.4 lph. Will the Guzzler Valve be able to flow enough fuel for both pumps ? ???

:beerchug:

For a stock busa with minor mods,which aftermarket fuel pump is recommended with no modification needed?

Sorry i cant help you ! i dont know of any aftermarket pumps that will bolt right up with no mods ! most of the time you will have to buy a aftermaket pump, regulator and a fuel rail insert. may be some one else can chime in and help you out ! :beerchug:

Can you define minor mods? You should be fine with the stock system depending on what you consider minor mods. Pipe/cams don't need a new fuel system.
For a stock busa with minor mods,which aftermarket fuel pump is recommended with no modification needed?

Sorry i cant help you ! i dont know of any aftermarket pumps that will bolt right up with no mods ! most of the time you will have to buy a aftermaket pump, regulator and a fuel rail insert. may be some one else can chime in and help you out ! :beerchug:

Its ok thanks for the above info

Can you define minor mods? You should be fine with the stock system depending on what you consider minor mods. Pipe/cams don't need a new fuel system.

Full system 4-2-1,pipercross air filter,dual intake cam mods,high com casket,ape heavy duty clutch springs,small air box mod and velcocity stacks mod.Correct me if i am wrong with a higher psi aftermarket fuel pump at high speed around maybe 200mph or more per hour.When accelerate,there will no lack of 2-3 seconds but smooth/faster acceleration right?

Full system 4-2-1,pipercross air filter,dual intake cam mods,high com casket,ape heavy duty clutch springs,small air box mod and velcocity stacks mod.Correct me if i am wrong with a higher psi aftermarket fuel pump at high speed around maybe 200mph or more per hour.When accelerate,there will no lack of 2-3 seconds but smooth/faster acceleration right?

mods listed no where need more fuel or a bigger pump.

Back