Did this school in Ok go a bit too far or not ?

not as ridiculous as the kid in washington who got suspended for bringing a g.i.joes 1.25 inch plastic toy gun to school, but yeah- this seems kinda stupid to me...

Boys suspended for tiny <br>G.I. Joe guns

That's crazy !
Here's some others quoted from a link on the story you linked Busabeast
4th-grader suspended for gun shell in pocket

The list of events gaining national attention in recent years also includes:

A National Merit Scholar prevented from attending her own high-school graduation last year in Fort Myers, Fla., because a table knife with a rounded tip was found on the floorboard of her car in the parking lot;

An 11-year-old fifth-grader permanently banned from an elementary school in Oldsmar, Fla., for drawing pictures of a gun;

A 12-year-old honor student in Mount Airy, Md., barred from extracurricular activities when she violated drug policy by sharing her inhaler with a fellow student having an asthma attack on the school bus;

A 9-year-old handing out Certs mints in Manassas, Va., and two students taking them suspended for ten days for drug-policy violations;

And in Deer Lakes, Pa., a 5-year-old boy suspended for dressing as a firefighter for his school's Halloween party. Part of his costume was a plastic ax.
Harsh zero-tolerance policies have been adopted by educators across the U.S. in the wake of the Gun Free Schools Act of 1994, in which Congress mandated automatic expulsions for students carrying firearms on campus. Despite its overturn by the Supreme Court the following year, local districts have since approved additional penalties for alcohol, drugs, threatening behavior and possession of items which can be construed as weapons.

I applaud the schools for sticking to their guns :whistle:

We have some tremendous issues in society today. One is the thinking that there is no authority and I can do anything I want attitude, another is the enormous growth of gangs. This Christmas dozens of complaints were made involving 6 and 7 year olds shooting each other with B-B guns, along with parents reporting assaults involving more than two children.

I have had more than one instance were a toddler, much less a 7 year old pointed there finger at me, tracked me and pulled the trigger.

It's not always play. Of course every instance has it's own set of circumstances. If you read the articles, the suspensions were extremely short.

I applaud the schools for sticking to their guns :whistle:

We have some tremendous issues in society today. One is the thinking that there is no authority and I can do anything I want attitude, another is the enormous growth of gangs. This Christmas dozens of complaints were made involving 6 and 7 year olds shooting each other with B-B guns, along with parents reporting assaults involving more than two children.

I have had more than one instance were a toddler, much less a 7 year old pointed there finger at me, tracked me and pulled the trigger.

It's not always play. Of course every instance has it's own set of circumstances. If you read the articles, the suspensions were extremely short.

So a baby pointed his finger at you and pulled the trigger .
Big deal ?
I don't get it ?
Whatever happened to cops and robbers, cowboys and Indians , good guys vs bad guys ?
It's natural for kids to do these things but it our job as parents to make sure and teach them true right from wrong.

I think the schools have gone overboard.

THe problem is that most people expec t the schools to raise our children and this is how they are trying to gain control of a situation........

Last edited by a moderator:

THe problem is that most people expec t the schools to raise our children and this is how they are trying to gain control of a situation........

+1

Schools are expected to do more and more on how kids are conditioned.

You missed my whole point, so I'll make it clearer. I used my finger and actually play guns as a kid, but it was play with children and I never saw a cop much less would have had the thought in my mind to point at one, track, him, and then shoot him. However I knew it was playing and my parents had me in church every week and were home teaching me right from wrong, and the last thing I wanted at the age of six was for my school to contact my parents, because I got my butt busted at school and then got it worse when I got home.
Today we have parents and children teaching a whole different set of values. Unfortunately schools have to treat every case the same regardless of the facts for fear of being sued by another parent.

I applaud the schools, and support the teachers and administrators.

Did you get the part where I said parents and children are raising toddlers in the ways of gang violence and disrespect for all authority outside the gang. :laugh:

+1

Schools are expected to do more and more on how kids are conditioned.

Actually schools are a big part of how our kids are raised. Schools teach our kids social skills that cannot be taught in the home. Schools expose our kids to practicle situations that will be extremely valuable later when dealing with authoritive figures such as bosses and cops/judges. There are some things parents can't teach their kids. Look at some of the research done on kids that were home schooled.

Now about the schools, I think they are taking it too far because they are lazy. They aren't teaching right and wrong to the kids. They are teaching kids that even when they are a victim, they are wrong.

Last year a kid tried to start a fight with my son on the play ground at school. Since the kid had told his friends what he planned on doing, the word spread arround. As you can imagine, kids gathered arroung anticipating the fight. When everything went down, my kid ran to a teacher. The other kid was really trying to catch my son and ran into the teacher and knocked her down when she got in between them. Of course all of the kids on the play ground followed the commotion and another student got trampled when she fell.

Even though my son didn't try to defend himself and ran away from the fight, he was suspended for "disrupting the learning process and and inciting a riot that caused injury". The principle wanted him expelled or to be tranfered to an alternative school. He missed 11 days while we waited for a disiciplinary committee to say expulsion was excessive and he could go back to the same school. They never told my kid he did the right thing by seeking out a teacher or not defending himself. I filed a complaint about the principal that fell on def ears and was told to take it up with my elected school board member.

It has just become easier to suspend all kids involved instead of looking into right or wrong. Oh yeah, these were 6th graders.

Parents should teach their kids right from wrong. Schools should teach them grammar, math, science, ....etc.

To say schools are lazy, I feel is incorrect..they have so many changes and guildines to follow every year...it is amazing our kids make it out knowing anything.

It takes a village to raise a kid, I agree. But life lessons should be taught in the home.

TX schools seem to be teaching toward standardized testing and everything else is a distraction.

My wife was a teacher for 4 years and got out due to politics of our schools. She is now an Asst. Museum Director and still gets to teach kids, but without all the junk.

A big part of school is the social experience, something parents can't fully teach. Solidarity, debate and conflict mamagement are not on the schools curriculum but are enhanced at schools. It is laziness if schools decides it is easier to suspend rather than work out differences.

So a baby pointed his finger at you and pulled the trigger .
Big deal ?
I don't get it ?
Whatever happened to cops and robbers, cowboys and Indians , good guys vs bad guys ?
It's natural for kids to do these things but it our job as parents to make sure and teach them true right from wrong.

Amen to that!

I agree a lot of social skills are acquired in schools.
The suspension part I think come from lack of common sense in determining what should constitute a suspension level act.

Actually schools are a big part of how our kids are raised. Schools teach our kids social skills that cannot be taught in the home. Schools expose our kids to practicle situations that will be extremely valuable later when dealing with authoritive figures such as bosses and cops/judges. There are some things parents can't teach their kids. Look at some of the research done on kids that were home schooled.

Now about the schools, I think they are taking it too far because they are lazy. They aren't teaching right and wrong to the kids. They are teaching kids that even when they are a victim, they are wrong.

Last year a kid tried to start a fight with my son on the play ground at school. Since the kid had told his friends what he planned on doing, the word spread arround. As you can imagine, kids gathered arroung anticipating the fight. When everything went down, my kid ran to a teacher. The other kid was really trying to catch my son and ran into the teacher and knocked her down when she got in between them. Of course all of the kids on the play ground followed the commotion and another student got trampled when she fell.

Even though my son didn't try to defend himself and ran away from the fight, he was suspended for "disrupting the learning process and and inciting a riot that caused injury". The principle wanted him expelled or to be tranfered to an alternative school. He missed 11 days while we waited for a disiciplinary committee to say expulsion was excessive and he could go back to the same school. They never told my kid he did the right thing by seeking out a teacher or not defending himself. I filed a complaint about the principal that fell on def ears and was told to take it up with my elected school board member.

It has just become easier to suspend all kids involved instead of looking into right or wrong. Oh yeah, these were 6th graders.

Wow! I really hope this is not what me and my brothers are fighting for over here...What has happened to our society????

I agree a lot of social skills are acquired in schools.
The suspension part I think come from lack of common sense in determining what should constitute a suspension level act.

They call it Zero Tollerance. Bassically they have expanded the rules and don't want to look at a person's involvement or what makes sense. When I asked the principal if she read the teachers statement about my son's involvement in the incident, she told me she doesn't have to. This stance was supported by her supervisor.

Fighting = involved in an altercation: If someone hits you, you were fighting.
My son's case was not an isolated one.

Gang activity = involved in an incident involving more than 1 person: You don't have to be in a gang.
Some kids were pelted with water ballons, when they took care of the kid that did it, they were suspended for gang activity.

Drug dealing = distributing illegal substances or pharmaceuticals.
A girl was suspended and arrested for giving her friend Tylenol.

What ever happened to the good ol days , when LIL Johnny was able to take his .22 to school for show and tell?? It seems the bigger the Gov, gets the Dumber society gets and the more control it takes.. Remember the Kid not too long ago that got arrested in school for eating another kids Chicken Nuggets ? The other kid didnt want them so he gave them away ( he got them under the free lunch program) the kid that ate them got arrested in School.

Back