did i break her?

busa186

Registered
I painted my cans and was curing them. Running 10min on/off 10min. Did that twice. And then then final time was for 30 min. Well about 10/15 min. Into the 30 min run I cam out to check and there was anti freeze pouring out.

Can someone please tell me if I should purge and start over or just fill it back up and call it good. How do I know if there are air bubbles? anything else?

Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

I hope it didn't over heat. Where was it coming from ? I'm sure one of the "smarter" people will be able to help you out ?

Pretty sure it over heated, needle was pegged! I shut it down and put some fans on it ( for whatever that's worth) waiting for it to cool down to take the fairings off to see where its coming from. But it looks like the middle rear? To mad at myself to look now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Man, I KNOW THAT FEELING !! All day/week long it's, "why DID I do this.....why DIDN'T I do that".

Good luck Brother !

You may have just got her overheated. I dont like to let my bike idle for more than a few minutes at a time. I am not sure if there was any damage. Let us know what you find.

Tell me about it. I figured I'd save some money when I was getting a full exhaust (stupid thing was at the time I had the money to do whatever I wanted) so I bought a used full Hindle for $500.00 (sounded GREAT on the guys Busa) Put it on 2 months after I put it on it sounds BAD.

Last edited:
The spewing is most likely the expansion tank blowing off excess water that was boiling. From your description, that would be about where the discharge line comes out.

As to damage done, gosh all you can do now is cool her off, see how much water she takes. Run her up again, look for steam out the tailpipe. Then look for water in your oil. If it looks like a chocolate milkshake, your in a bad place. If there is no steam and no water/oil mix, drive her and see if she feels normal. If so you dodged a bullet this time.

You can do a compression and leak down test, but if the above pass and she runs alright, ride it and don't dwell on it.

You may have warped the head and she will fail sometime sooner or later but again there is nothing you can do about in regards to the repair work that will be needed that that you won't have to do when she fails anyway.

Sorry to hear about this maybe you are lucky and got to it in time, but I wonder what caused it to overheat??? The paint on the cans not letting heat out of the exhaust or idle set too high???

I would check to make sure your fan comes on. If it is NOT coming on, that could be the reason you overheated.!!

Yep, that happened to me. The dealer worked on my old bike and apparently left both fans unplugged. I trailered it home, so I didn't know right away. I was running it in the garage (door open) for a couple of minutes and noticed the headers glowing like an oven element. The temp was pegged out, with the light on. Like you I shut it down and put a fan on it. Scared the crap outta me, but the bike went on to run 186.89 SAE/191.5 STD on a dyno the next week with a race filter, full exhaust and custom tune. I caught it just in time. All may not be lost.

Last edited:
Back