Desperate Squid

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
About 11:00pm last night the daughters went to bed and I blow on out for a ride...30 minutes of sins and grins and then I stop at a gas station for a cold drink...and just as I'm coming out of the store (bottled water in hand) two young guys pull up on a black Honda 600RR...neither wearing a lid...hop off their bike...then see my Busa and ask if it's mine...after saying yes they seemed estatic as the guy who was riding biotch begins to explain to me that his 1 week old...new-to-him ZX-6R with 15K on the odo and is broken down up the end of the road at a closed hess station..said his oil light came on and then she stalled and wouldn't start again...first thing I said is...You boys are in luck...I'm "The Jinkster"...then the one with the 600RR says I've heard of you!!!..You're a mechanic aren't you!!!..me: Yep. Them...COOL!!!

I asked if the bike would crank...he says yes...great..so it isn't seized...lets go ride down and take a look...and we do...first thing I check is the oil..which appears to be full enough but appears to be so black and watery it looks more like pen ink than oil...I turn the key and hit the starter and the bike fumbles a bit at idle but starts right up for me...I told'im that the oil filter is probably so old and clogged that the oil sump isn't recovering quick enough...take it straight home and change your oil, oil filter, fuel filter and air filter (since he had no maint. recs. on his 15K mile week old pre-owned bike)..says he dosen't know how...then asked if I would do it and how much...told'im $50 + parts...he says cool and takes my cell #..then I told'im to get a lid...said he hates'em and rides off...I stand there and finish my bottled water then hop on my Busa to go home and guess who the cops have pulled over at the next corner.
laugh.gif

Whaddah night. L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Were those guys coming back fron Cyclepalooza? Think I saw them headed down there in the rain yesterday.

Very cute little girl! As was said, hopefully they will realize before something forces them to learn.

This falls into my "Things Aren't Always What They Seem" catagory but...

Believe it or not I just got a call from the guy and as it turns out?...the cop was there "Helping & Aiding" as his bike had stalled out on him again...(insert: "assumption is the mother of all screw ups" here)...the good news is that more or less confirms my suspicions that the culprit is a clogged air filter..as I also noted his bike did smell rich once I got it started..typical used 600...sold after it's rode hard, put away wet, and lacked proper (if any) maintainence.

He had a friend with a PU truck come and fetch it roadside...says he'll be delivering it to my place after he locates and purchases air & oil filters...I also recommended he purchase a set of fresh sparkplugs..we'll see if he shows now that I've troubleshot and diagnosed it for him...I think he will...as this is his first bike and seemed to be mechanically declined.

Hey...we were all there at some point...and since I have three daughters maybe I can raise him to become and experienced squid like myself. LOL!!!

L8R, Bill.
tounge.gif

Were those guys coming back fron Cyclepalooza? Think I saw them headed down there in the rain yesterday.
bronc...cyclpalooza?
rock.gif
My wife told me there were a lot of bikes out this weekend...guess I'm outta the loop and missed it..besides..I spent all day saturday working on a friends FZ1...who rode all the way down from gainsville...paid me for my services and treated my family to a seafood dinner out at "Shells"...turned out the guy who installed his jet kit never set the float hieghts nor did he properly synch the carbs.

After the corrections were made the bike woke right up...I also installed a new 600LB Hypercoil spring on his rear shock and dialed in his suspension...said he felt like he got a new bike...so out to dinner we went.
biggrin.gif

But I guess I missed the whole "cyclepaloozha" thing.
sad.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

UPDATE:

He called the following morning to confirm the parts list I mentioned to him of..sparkplugs, oil, oil filter and airfilter and began his hunt..(as I told him I'd install all that for $50 if he cpould get the bike over here)..unfortunately this was monday and all bike shops were closed..so he lost a day of transportation and tried again tuesday and that he'd have the bike and parts at my driveway by 10:am tues. morning...by 2:00pm tuesday afternoon I get a call...he got the sparkplugs, oil, and oil filter but no shop in the area stocked a replacement airfilter...so he had to order one but it wouldn't be here till thursday..and this kid needed his transportation to make it to work in order to keep his restaurant job and began begging me if there was anything I could possibly do to help him get his bike running by tomorrow...I told him to get the bike and the parts to my place asap and I'd see what I could do...6:00pm this dude shows at my driveway...(had to find a after work bud with a pickup to haul it over)..we unload the bike..he then tells me he ran the battery dead trying to start it...and he starts to tell his friend okay go ahead george..like he's staying there with me...and I said...whoa, whoa, whoa...hold on and you better catch a ride with your bud cause you ain't staying here..he says.."well I was gonna help ya work on my..." (I cut him off with)..Dude...it's 6:30pm...my wifes putting dinner on the table in about 15 minutes..and at best?...I might pull the battery out to get a charge back on it tonight...soonest it'll be done is about 10:00am tomorrow morning...kid looks like he's gonna cry...then says...I need my bike to get to work tomorrow or I'm gonnna lose my job!!!...Me: "Dude..your battery is dead..I can't do anything about that...and I'm just giving you a price to keep ya from getting Butt Raped by the dealership service depts."...understandingly he hollars for his friend to stop cause he now knows he definantly needs a ride..then he tells me...look..you get this bike running for me anytime tonight and I'll pay you $100.

He caught his ride home and the first thing In did was get that battery out of the bike and on the charger...then pulled the tank off to get the airfilter rinsed out with carb cleaner..then sat down and had dinner...then at 8:00pm started working on the bike...took the lower fairings off...oil and filter changed..new spark plugs gapped and installed and just as the battery was running into the green?...called him at about 10:00pm telling him to grab $100 and find a ride over...I'm putting you bike back together now...he was here 15 minutes later...astonished at what the innards of his bike looked like...by 11:00pm she was back together and I was pouring the last of 4qts of fresh oil in his bikes crankcase...by 11:05 she sparked up like a lion..by 11:15 I arrived back from my test ride...the kid couldn't believe how responsive and strong sounding his engine was..he happily gave me the $100..and I hadta back off to keep from recieveing a hug!!! LOL!!!

ZX6R.jpg

It's nice to see someone thatv happy every now and then.
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

I wish I had a neighbor like you...you really did the kid a big favor even at a 100 bucks. Also it's amazing to see how well these bikes can perform even after some neglect. Carb cleaner on the air filter, that's one for me to remember if I can't find a ready replacement.

Very cool of you.
Good way to pay it forward.

<!--EDIT|TheKatsMeow
Reason for Edit: None given...|1116492277 -->

Back