Deal's Gap or Hwy 1

manatrader

Donating Member
Registered
I see a lot of post on Deal's Gap, but never having ride it before I'm wondering is it really the dragon?
For us on the West Coast I must say Hwy 1 is very twisty and scenic not sure of the corner count, but its much longer than Deal’s Gap. One thing for sure is you better not over shoot a corner on Hwy 1; the step banks directly to the ocean below are unforgiving. I bring Hwy1 up just because I have ridden it now several times and its among the top roads on my list, possibly even number 1.

Who here has ridden both Hwy 1 and Deal’s Gap and what did you like about them? If you had to pick which one would you rate over the other?

Never ridden the Dragon, but I have driven a tandem truck all over the Appalachians, and have ridden Hwy 1/PCH. Apples and oranges. The w/c ride is scenic and relaxed, but it can be fun if ridden fast. Appalachian hills are technical (even in a truck!!) and you don't have time for the view (even though it is very nice....).

Used to live in CA. The PCH is a beautiful road.

The Dragon?
Totally different head there! Give a 2 year old a pencil and piece of paper. When they are done, whats on the paper will be darned close to an aerial of the Dragon!

But it is not just the Dragon. That whole area in and around Deals Gap is to motorcyclists, what going to the circus is to an 8 year old. It seems the whole community embraces and caters to motorcycling and the roads? There is a turn called "Gravity Cavity"..... nuff said...

You really should make it a point to go there one day and experience it.

I ride HWY1 alot very long ride and awsome views lots of roads off HWY1 that are great as well 1 is my favorite for sure would love to do the GAP one day
smile.gif

I would love to do some riding with you west coast guys. The gap is a unique experience. The dragon is a great ride, but there are a number of roads other than the dragon that provide a wonderful outing as well. We had a blast at busa bash. I wish it was closer to you guys so you could join us.
beerchug.gif

I was told this weekend that Deal's Gap is to motorcycles as to curves to a woman.

Nothing yet has described it better!

http://www.mapquest.com/directi....2z=&r=f

A few miles north of Ft. Bragg is a wide spot called Rockport. Just north of there is where hiway 1 may out shine the Gap, the Dragon or most any road. Have never had the inclination to count the corners but there are many. Great riding in either direction but I prefer west to east.

IMG007__Small_.JPG

Here is our version of Deal's Gap. It's called Skagg's road its a blast. It runs between the 101-1.

SKAGGS__Small_.JPG

That's it, 1320Busa, 46 miles of heaven! Only time I have ever been on a bike wondering when the corners where going to stop. It takes a lot out of you.

I love north georgia roads-richard russell hiway to Helen-route 180-hiway 29-sr 75-deals gap is cool too but a little too crowded for me-

i really like to ride deal's gap. you really have to watch the other people riding over there head's . they get in trouble alot. i was there 2 weeks ago and there was 3 wrecks before i left..

(NX95240 @ Oct. 26 2006,03:39) i really like to ride deal's gap. you really have to watch the other people riding over there head's . they get in trouble alot. i was there 2 weeks ago and there was 3 wrecks before i left..
Yep there are way TOO many idiots there. After too may close calls i don't ride it any longer. It is dangerous enough on everyday roads, add in a challenging road and a few hundred overconfident idiots and you have a recipe for disaster.

I would love to get in some west coast riding one day. Really looks like a blast.

(1320Busa @ Oct. 25 2006,15:01) Here is our version of Deal's Gap. It's called Skagg's road its a blast. It runs between the 101-1.
Just did skaggs a couple weeks ago 41 miles of turns AWSOME!
race.gif

(manatrader @ Oct. 25 2006,15:57) For us here in Washington here is a link to our backyard road monster. Very twisty and technical seen many bikes sliding across the corner in front of me. A few of the corners are littered with bike parts. Bad thing it going under snow now and will stay covered until late May. I still like Hwy 1 better.

http://washington.destinationhighways.com/dh/Volcano_Region/2sum.htm
Thats a nice road, but it looks like a dragstrip compared to the dragon.

(ozz @ Oct. 26 2006,14:54)
(1320Busa @ Oct. 25 2006,15:01) Here is our version of Deal's Gap. It's called Skagg's road its a blast. It runs between the 101-1.
Just did skaggs a couple weeks ago   41 miles of turns   AWSOME!
race.gif
How's the road surface and traffic on Skaggs? Any direction better than the other?

(CBXRider @ Oct. 26 2006,23:42)
(ozz @ Oct. 26 2006,14:54)
Just did skaggs a couple weeks ago   41 miles of turns   AWSOME!
race.gif
How's the road surface and traffic on Skaggs?  Any direction better than the other?
I always travel it from the coast to 101 at first the road has no center line and is narow and kinda of dark cause of the trees even in the daytime...I rode it at night once and never again cause as the road progresses it is nonstop twisties and the concentration level destroyed me....anyhow, riding it is fun cause as the rode continues it progressively becomes a bit wider and more streched out and faster...really i think it would be more fun to ride it from hwy1 to 101...i guess it would depend on which way ya needed to head back.

The road surface is good with no holes however there is some gravel on occasion...that is where my bud crashed a couple of weeks ago on the repsol....there is also a concrete section of road that can catch ya off gaurd right after the bridge.

Its a blast to ride go do it you wont be sorry
smile.gif
this is the beging of the road of of hwy1

anthonys_crash_10_15_21__2_.jpg

oh ya, the traffic is very little not much between 1 and 101 on that road

Back