DAMNIT!!! I GOT A TICKET

(Wag @ Nov. 04 2006,05:56)
(coke4class @ Nov. 03 2006,20:26) but I think its retarded to pay
Dude,

You were speeding.  You're a friggin' criminal.  Pay up!

--Wag--
I don't think that it makes me a criminal. Yes I made a violation but there's lot worse that could've been done.

(coke4class @ Nov. 04 2006,06:12)
(Wag @ Nov. 04 2006,05:56)
(coke4class @ Nov. 03 2006,20:26) but I think its retarded to pay
Dude,

You were speeding.  You're a friggin' criminal.  Pay up!

--Wag--
I don't think that it makes me a criminal.  Yes I made a violation but there's lot worse that could've been done.
You broke (Violated) the LAW
bluegrab.gif
you knew you were speeding and you got a ticket for it...so who's at fault YOU
flamethrowingsmiley.gif

(coke4class @ Nov. 04 2006,06:24) ok i need some advice... not a naggin wife telling me what I did... Any more advices...?
Pay your ticket or go to traffic school
argue.gif

Option 2.

You did it.

Pay the fine.

Jump through their hoops to keep it off your record.

No points to jack up your insurance ( the REAL injustice- an excuse to rip you off for three years!).

All good and fair.

Keep speeding like the rest of us, and know that if you get caught there will be consequences.

Being that I'm a State Trooper Here In Florida, I Would Suggest Taking It To Court. Get Some Advice And Challenge All Avenues. There Is Quite A Bit Of Requirements That Need To Be Met (By The Trooper), Before The Court Will Find You Guilty.

On The Other Hand, If You Don’t Have The Time To Go To Court, Hire One Of Those “Ticket Clinic Attorneys’â€￾, And Have Them Plea The Case………….

Good Luck !!

Wow, 35 over in AZ IS CRIMINAL..less than 2 months ago I posted about my error in judgement, 107 in a 65. Ouch, $588 arrested on the spot etc.. I paid the bail imediately and turned around and sent a fax stating I wanted my bail used towards the fine (same $) and called it good. Why, cuz I was guilty for more, but it was my fault and I can afford the 2pts. Weird how any speeding is 2pts, doesnt matter if your 3mph over or 30.
If the ticket write up is fishy I'd get a lawyer, if it appears more legit (not making the U turn etc) I'd pay the fine and take the class call it good. Either way I'd put the plate upright, just egging them on to come after you and obviously it worked. Sorry for you, but hope it works out.

(mjb1206 @ Nov. 04 2006,07:21) Being that I'm a State Trooper Here In Florida, I Would Suggest Taking It To Court.  Get Some Advice And Challenge All Avenues. There Is Quite A Bit Of Requirements That Need To Be Met (By The Trooper), Before The Court Will Find You Guilty.

On The Other Hand, If You Don’t Have The Time To Go To Court, Hire One Of Those “Ticket Clinic Attorneys’â€, And Have Them Plea The Case………….

Good Luck !!
Thank you for your great advice... but I wish to seek more if possible.

At this point I am leaning towards taking the ticket to the court and see what happens, however what do I have to prepare... I have never done this.

I have gotten two tickets in the past... but one was in different state- Indiana for speeding which was about five years ago or so. Another one here in FL by FHP in my car... two years ago... which I paid the fine and took the online course to avoid the pts.
But this one I would like to seek another avenue and learn or seek what I can do with out paying the fine of the ticket.

You mentioned..."Get Some Advice And Challenge All Avenues. There Is Quite A Bit Of Requirements That Need To Be Met (By The Trooper), Before The Court Will Find You Guilty"

Could I get direct advice from you... or see what you think about the matter? I would appriciate much so!

Thank you,
Jason

(Shibumi @ Nov. 04 2006,07:10) Option 2.

You did it.

Pay the fine.

Jump through their hoops to keep it off your record.

No points to jack up your insurance ( the REAL injustice- an excuse to rip you off for three years!).

All good and fair.

Keep speeding like the rest of us, and know that if you get caught there will be consequences.
haha... I think I should lay low on the speeding part for a bit...

You could get a Easel and some paper, draw out a sketch of where the officer first made contact, and how you proceeded and turned with the officer making a Turn etc. Be sure if you do this to draw out the speed limit signs, any cross-traffic, parked cars etc, to the best of your ability. I've done this before and since I had retained the necessary information about the surroundings and the officer "wasn't sure" the Judge dismissed the ticket.

(CAT3 @ Nov. 04 2006,08:02) You could get a Easel and some paper, draw out a sketch of where the officer first made contact, and how you proceeded and turned with the officer making a  Turn etc. Be sure if you do this to draw out the speed limit signs, any cross-traffic, parked cars etc, to the best of your ability.  I've done this before and since I had retained the necessary information about the surroundings and the officer "wasn't sure" the Judge dismissed the ticket.
hmm... sounds interesting...

There are couple of sites on the internet that will sell you info for exactly how to beat a ticket in court.  My wife got 2 tickets this summer, only a few weeks apart.  She got the first one deferred (no tickets for 6 months = it doesnt go on her record).  Of course she needed to beat the 2nd ticket or get nailed for both on her record.  

She paid about $30 for one of the "how to beat a speeding ticket" information packs.  It gives step by step instructions on how to fight tickets.  There are several requirements that must be met for them to convict you.  She was nailed (dead to rights!) in a speed trap with laser during daylight hours.  But by every right she SHOULD have beaten the ticket in court.  She had legal grounds on several instances to have the case thrown out:
- No documentation of calibration of laser gun
- Laser was calibrated before stop, but not after
- Laser was only calibrated using internal calibration (must also be calibrated on moving target WITH
DOCUMENTED CALIBRATION OF SPEEDOMETER)
-Designated speed rap, but no prior traffic survey on said road to determine "safe speed" for traffic

In order to win their case in court, the prosecution must prove their case.  ALL the above are parts of what they must provide or you can beat it on technicalities.  In the end, the judge was impressed with her defense, but the "good ol boy" factor came into play.  He found her guilty, but dismissed the fine.  She really SHOULD have one.. everyone was impressed.

If you can FIND something for the state of Florida that states the officer must prove the calibration of the laser gun, (proof means documentation), if they don't have that, you can get out of it.  
Find documentation stating that Laser is only guaranteed by manufacturers during daylight hours.  You, the officer, and the judge all know it DOES work, but if the manufacturer states it is not intended for a specific use, it cannot be used to prosecute you.
DO NOT testify on your behalf.  Get it dismissed prior to you testifying.  They have to prove their case, and you need to get it thrown out for their failure to be prepared.

Reasons to fight it:
-Officers often miss court dates (prosecution has no case without their testimony)
-They RARELY bring in documentation .. they assume its a simple argument you will make and they always win
- GET A LAWYER!  They will take them more serious than they did my wife.  Had  the same arguments been made from an attorney, the judge would have dismissed it.

I don't need to be flamed by others, but everyone who has been through the court system knows this.  It is sad but true:
Remember one thing... we don't have a JUSTICE system... we have a COURT system.  The object is to win in court.  Justice is a by-product at times.

You were speeding, right?

I am just having a hard time understanding why you think you have options above and beyond paying for the mistake you made?

I am not trying to be a smart aleck, if you broke the law and admit it why would you not just go pay the fine and take the class?

(Spike @ Nov. 04 2006,09:26) You were speeding, right?

I am just having a hard time understanding why you think you have options above and beyond paying for the mistake you made?

I am not trying to be a smart aleck, if you broke the law and admit it why would you not just go pay the fine and take the class?
If you read the post above by me and others, and see that there is another option or way to deal with this matter... why not take a stab at it?

Even on the ticket itself it gives an option, and I am trying to find out from other members what the options they may choose to take and wanting to hear their advice and experience...

Again... No nagging wife-wanna-be's needed for this telling me that I was speeding and got caught... we have already accompolished this...
I dont see a point of getting reminders from some of you guys... its just nagging.

Thank you for those with great comments...
and Thank you also for the nagging wife-wanna-be's...

I actually wasn't trying to nag. Just pointing out my own ignorance in seeing only one option for you.

To get back to the original subject I think Option #2 you pointed out would probably give you the most "cost benefit." Keeping points off your license is extremely important to your rates and hiring a lawyer I can see easily costing you way more in attorney fees than the ticket cost.

I have never gotten a ticket though so take that for what it is worth;)

(Spike @ Nov. 04 2006,14:00) I actually wasn't trying to nag.  Just pointing out my own ignorance in seeing only one option for you.  

To get back to the original subject I think Option #2 you pointed out would probably give you the most "cost benefit."  Keeping points off your license is extremely important to your rates and hiring a lawyer I can see easily costing you way more in attorney fees than the ticket cost.

I have never gotten a ticket though so take that for what it is worth;)
Thank you for your input... I understand that you dont mean to nag... I hope you understand that some guys just like to nag on the fact and completely ignore the main subject of the matter...

However... Yes... like you mentioned... "option 2" is one of them... that I am considering... and Im just trying to get as much experienced knowledge... so-to-speak...

Like I posted earlier... this is my third ticket... first on my bike... which is a huge bummer...

Just day before I got the ticket... I got a flat on my car and now I have to replace both rear tires... and that's about $500 out of my pocket... which does not help at all... arrg.
crazy.gif

So now I decided to ride slow and lay low for a bit around town...
laugh.gif
Thank you for your input again... happy riding and be careful!

(RCKTMAN @ Nov. 03 2006,20:46) go to court, call the FHP a f@#king liar< bring a lawyer to discredit the FHP somehow..... then ask her if she caught another member of the FHP speeding would she write him / her a ticket................ when she tells you she wouldnt, curse her out and give her an ethics and morals class............... thats my advise

i would give you some intelligent advise but the last time i did that i got bashed and called everything but a piece of sH!t. By the way im a police officer
You da man rocket.

Do it as an officer of the law says.

Back