Crash at Barber entering T1,

Loomis

Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Registered
First session at Barber last weekend, entering T1, when this pretty significant accident happened. The amazing this is that he walked away! with nothing more than a injured wrist.
One of the guys on the Bmw Forum posted this one.

Linky:
1 I Group NESBA 27 Aug 11 Barber MSP - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow...that is insane...wonder what caused it?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

'Brembo brakes are that good!'

:laugh:

At that speed if he locked the wheel wouldn't it have gone down instead of flipping end over end?
No exp here but isn't that too fast to endo like that? Like superman he was!
Glad he is ok

wow...that could have been so much worse...on him and the other rider.

Wow, if I were going to crash and not get hurt that would be a heck of a way to do it. Glad he was not hurt. :)

If that poor bloke had not let go when he did, there is a very good chance he would have been pile driven into the deck head first with 400 pounds of motorcycle acting as a hammer. Survival would be unlikely in that senerio.

This should be a wake up call to all you fellas who upgrade to high performance brakes without upgrading the software in the applications menu. High performance brakes with a low performance rider IMV is a poor combination. I've always been of the opinion that Suzuki did humanity a great favor with the use of low grade brakes on their Hayabusa models.

From what I can see in the video the victim most likely had a hot sticky tire, high performance brakes and lacked the ability to maintain his composure under stress. He was on the inside determined to out brake the cameraman and after the brakes were applied decided he was not burning off enough speed and squeezed those brakes with the grip of a gorilla, which had already loaded the front to maintain maximum grip and the beast flipped so fast he didn't have time to fart. The entire crash was lightening fast and the rider stood no chance of saving himself.

So I said all that to say this, if you are not well schooled on brakes (99% of us aren't) you are much safer with stock brakes than you are on high performance brakes. That spungy lever on your new busa will let you get away with things that Brembo Brakes will not.

Flipping over the front is a rare example of to much brake and to little skill but it does happen on occasion although it does take all the stars to be properly aligned for this to happen. In most cases the front tire looses traction and the rider gets body slammed. We had two riders crash yesterday in turn one at Portland due to to much brake and to little skill. Neither was seriously enjuried but both crashed at high speed because they had to much brake without the proper training necessary to maintain control in less than ideal situations.

The rider in the video is very lucky not to have sustained serious enjury!

Thanks Tuf. I didn't think you could endo at that speed? Almost like someone threw a crowbar into his front wheel :)

Back