Crack on Clear Tach cover

ibified

Registered
SO i was out riding today, and noticed that the clear glass (plastic) cover over the tach is starting to crack. By the time I got home, the crack was about 3" long.

Now, being that I only have about 150 miles on my bike, is this something I'm going to be able to get the dealer to replace under warranty, or am I just gonna be SOL?

I'd say that if it looks like there was no impact that caused the thing to start, then there's a decent chance it'll be a warranty item.

If it looks like something fell on it to start the crack, then it's questionable.

Good luck.

Well, the crack started underneath the cover, so I don't see how an impact could have done it. I guess I'll just take it by and ask them.

guns.gif
dealers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(05 Busa LE @ Mar. 11 2007,13:47) I'd say that if it looks like there was no impact that caused the thing to start, then there's a decent chance it'll be a warranty item.

If it looks like something fell on it to start the crack, then it's questionable.

Good luck.
+1

As long as it doesn't look like it was impact or something like that, they should replace the cover. Take it in to them and have them look at it.

Well, *I* know nothing fell on it, because it cracked while I was riding. However, my concern is that the dealer is gonna be an asshat about it and just say "no, you dropped something on it"

I don't know what could hit it without going through my windscreen first anyway, though.

I'd go in and have the service manager look at it. I'd say "I don't know what happened, but I noticed the crack while riding; it started from underneath the cover and just moved across."

Don't say that nothing hit the cover, because that will make him suspicious. If he says that to you, say "You've got to be kidding me ... there's not even a scratch on the cover that would indicate an impact. It's a defect and it needs to be replaced."

wink.gif

Thanks for the input.

if I wind up having to eat it, does anybody have any idea what the cost of a new one is?

(ibified @ Mar. 11 2007,14:48) Well, the crack started underneath the cover, so I don't see how an impact could have done it.  I guess I'll just take it by and ask them.
1st istake you dont ask them u tell them to replace it if you ask they will assume that you will pay for it if they say no then they dont have to pay for it .

(ibified @ Mar. 11 2007,14:08) Thanks for the input.  

if I wind up having to eat it, does anybody have any idea what the cost of a new one is?
About $145. It comes as an assembly with the carbon fibre looking bezel. Good luck.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Since I got home this afternoon, the crack has just about doubled in size, too. Now it goes in a "U" shape around the bottom of the clear plastic....it's probably 3/4 to the top on each side of the "u" too.

Update on the tach:

I just got an email from the guy at the bike shop (what kinda hours do these guys work, anyway?) and he informed me that my crack is not going to be covered under warranty. They said the reason it wont be is that it was caused by doing wheelies. The thing is, I think I'd know better than they would that I havent been doing wheelies (havent done one yet, actually) and dont know how they can automatically make that assessment without even seeing it.

Is Suzuki ALWAYS this shitty about covering things that should be under warranty? Oh, to make it worse, they said that I shouldnt ride it until it gets fixed, or it may damage the tach. They cant work on it until the end of April, either.

If this is how they handle their customers, I may need to sell this bike and go back to a Honda.

Warrenty should cover it with NO PROBLEMS  
super.gif

If you do have problems with the dealer, REMEMBER him the next time you service your bike (and of course without saying, remember him the next time you BUY a bike ) !

yeah, that's a given. the problem is that the place I had to go to buy my bike is 2 1/2 hrs away.  I'm not wild about riding 5 hrs to get this fixed, or to even have them look at it.   I'm not sure if that was the decision of the dealership or the decision of Suzuki, either.  if it's from Suzuki, I'm definitely going to unload this bike and go back to a honda.  To think that they wouldnt cover something on a bike that has 120 miles on it is just incomprehensible to me.

As for buying a bike from them....they already burned that bridge. I went to them first, and the sales guy offered me 5 grand for my vtx and my cb750, and wanted list on the '06 busa (this was January of this year, btw). When i got a better offer from dealer 2, i took it to them and gave them a chance to match it. he basically said i was lying about the deal, and told me that if i was really getting that deal that I should take it.

Go there in person and demand they replace it under warranty. If he brings up the wheelie BS again, tell the manager to shove that theory up his ass, call the BBB and set up a date at your local small claims court.

The reason dealerships pull this crap is because most people roll over, play dead and pay up.

btw, what's the name and location of this dealership?

Sounds like you've got some real SORRY Dealers. And I can't believe Suzuki would not warrenty it. Ya might call the Warrenty Rep ! I think the Suzuki #No. is in the owners manual.

North End Cycles of Elkhart Indiana.

As I said, I'm not sure if it was them who said that or Suzuki.  I went by the dealer yesterday and he said he would submit it to suzuki and see what they said, then informed me about the "end of april before we can touch it" deal.

I sent the service manager a response to his email and asked him if it was him or Suzuki who made that determination. I'll go from there.

So, an update:

After a week and a half of "looking into it" they have decided that they aren't going to cover the crack under warranty.

Suggestions for what to do from here?

I may have an '06 busa for sale soon....

(ibified @ Mar. 22 2007,23:25) So, an update:

After a week and a half of "looking into it" they have decided that they aren't going to cover the crack under warranty.  

Suggestions for what to do from here?

I may have an '06 busa for sale soon....
Go to the parts department, and order the front of the cluster (clear lens & Carbon bezel) Its not worth your time to fight with them, save the fight for the transmission!

I'll sell the bike on principle before I spend 150 bucks on a part for a bike that has 120 miles on it that SHOULD be covered under warranty.

Back