Cracked Front Rotors.

apnford

Registered
I have a 1 year old 2008 orange busa with 6K+ miles on it. I had the front rotors (and a lot of other parts) chromed. After mastering Wheelies on it I started doing Stoppies on it. Last time I rode I heard a little brake noise so I took off the calipers, pads look good but I noticed a few cracks it the stainless steel part of the rotors coming from the rivited area. the aluminum part of the rotors is what was chromed and look good. Has anyone else had any cracks in the rotors and is this covered in the dealers warranty?? did the Chroming cause the cracks or the Stoppies?? Thanks, Andy.

:welcome:

By chroming them you pretty much threw the idea of warranty out the window. Basically you altered a stock part. Many of warranties have pushed aside honoring repairs/replacements due to parts being altered or other parts of bike being altered. Best bet would be to get a set of aftermarket rotors? Not the cheap Ebay ones.

I have a 1 year old 2008 orange busa with 6K+ miles on it. I had the front rotors (and a lot of other parts) chromed. After mastering Wheelies on it I started doing Stoppies on it. Last time I rode I heard a little brake noise so I took off the calipers, pads look good but I noticed a few cracks it the stainless steel part of the rotors coming from the rivited area. the aluminum part of the rotors is what was chromed and look good. Has anyone else had any cracks in the rotors and is this covered in the dealers warranty?? did the Chroming cause the cracks or the Stoppies?? Thanks, Andy.

what do you think caused the cracks???[/QUOTE]

That is probaly your problem, these bikes are to heavy to be doing stoppies and wheelies, especially when you dont come down right, your asking for problems, you might want to start investing in front seals.:whistle:JMO oh yeah:welcome:

Last edited:
what do you think caused the cracks???

Someone will chime in with an answer. lots of informative members here. Probably get an answer later once after people settle down for the evening.

Both rotors have cracks? plus if you can post a pic of the rivited area with the crack(s). Pictures are always Plus. Not to mention Your new here and we(Org members) will hound you for pics of your ride(not just the damaged area). :rulez:

Once again welcome! :thumbsup:

I've always heard that chroming embrittles parts and not suggested on suspension parts etc.

:welcome: Hard life takes its toll on anything. Busa's are big, heavy bikes and that works against the stunt-ability of them. get a gixxer600 for the fun and games

Here is the rotor hard to see the crack. its not in the braking surface, its coming from the rivit area.

DSC00472.jpg

If the centers were removed for chroming putting them back on would have caused fatigue. Your chromer should have replaced the rivets with new ones.

I know the rotors are left as 1 piece for chroming. The braking surface is covered during the chrome process to protect it. Had around 40 pieces chromed. The rotors are ~$50 each to get chromed. all other parts are in great shape.

I guess the stress of the stoppies caused the cracks.

Is it unsafe to ride with the small cracks??? I use the engine compression to do most of the stopping. My and some boys do the Fred Flinstone to stop at some red lights and don't even touch the brakes.

Well lets say a car pulls out in front of you... how well will your "Flinstone" braking be effective.

Front brakes are aprox 75% of your braking power. Curb weight is 573lbs, add you weight. then decide if broken disc is worth the risk. :whistle:

Is it unsafe to ride with the small cracks??? I use the engine compression to do most of the stopping. My and some boys do the Fred Flinstone to stop at some red lights and don't even touch the brakes.

Yes, it is unsafe to have cracked rotors.

If you are talking about the two cracks coming our horizontally from each floating rivit, those were there before you chromed.

If wheelies and stoppies would crack a rotor, I'd have a truck load of cracked rotors by now. wheelies and stoppies have no damaging effect on your brakes. Stoppies wear the pads out prematurely but no damage!

Andy, quite simply it's time to toss those rotors.

If you're on a budget, find some used rotors for your bike (remember Gen I is different). Someone here might have a set for you.

If you want an upgraded oem replacement, I started shipping the new EBC Contour XC rotors which came out just a few months ago. These rotors have just 6 buttons, so lighter weight. About .5lbs lighter (both) for the XC set.

If you like wave, go with Galfer Wave rotors. Lot of members here have them, so easy to do homework on those.

If you want the bling, get a set of Galfer Chrome Wave rotors. Getting set of those in for a client in few days. :)

Back