cracked clutch cover.

Busa1166

Donating Member
Registered
My clutch cover is cracked is this a do it yourself fix? I don't think pushercg is still a member here. Where would I get a replacement plastic? What sealer do I use.

It cracked when the bike fell over a few months ago.
Posted via Mobile Device

can you give a better description of what cracked. The clutch cover whihc is on the right side of the bike is aluminum so I don't understand what plastic needs to be fixed/replaced.

Pretty simple to replace the Clutch Cover, Just need to decide if you want to go back with stock or Chrome that puppy or even a clear one.

Also curious about the Plastic part you speak of.

I think he has a modified clear clutch cover. I think you can get another piece of plexiglass and epoxy it back in. But I have never held one in my hands to know.

ahh now I get it... see through clutch cover. You can pickup a new sheet of plexi at home deopt and cut a replacement piece. RTV and a drill bit should finish it off.

go to a local sign shop or any "plastic" jobber.. you need the .250 Lexan (is actually .220 or so) and just get a chunk of scrap from them..

Use the outside ring to trace the new piece
Cut out using a jig saw, coping saw or even a power miter saw.. (what I had to use)

The miter saw you just got to start running straight cuts to the trace line.. from square to octogon etc till you get the points trimmed off to a basic round shape.. (100 tooth 12" is the blade I used)

remove and clean the cover of all old cover and sealant

put a nice seal of "ultra black" sealant on cover recess (do not use plain RTV or silicone sealer, it will degrade from oil.. you need the "ammonia" based sealer, no vinegar smell)
put the new "cover lens" into housing and weight it down over night (do not drill it yet)

after the sealant sets up, you can take your 1/8 drill bit (think that is the size, make sure) and drill the new lens from the back side (use existing holes in cover for guide) Take your time and you wont chip or crack the lexan

clock the outside ring to the right place and assemble the thing.. I spot of ultra black on the screws will stop any leaks on that part..

should be golden....

if you are unable to locate the Lexan, I do have a chunk I can send you...

Last edited:
I think he has a modified clear clutch cover.

Now that would make sence.

Wouldnt hurt to try it yourself. Watch it close and if it leaks call the Pro's or God forbid drop the cash for a new one. ( Curious as to what expression was on your face when you read that part ) $$$$$$$$

I picked some up from a general purpose hardware store when I made my cover. Home depot didn't have anything thick enough. I too recommend 1/4". The 1/8" was way too flimsy. I didn't use sealer on mine though since I cut an o-ring groove in my cover. I also spun mine on a lathe to make it round as well.

Back