Removing fused starter clutch cover

cutter

Donating Member
Registered
Just did my valve clearance check at 12k, getting ready for the nice weather to hit New England. Did the check early because of some top end clattering, that is prob normal. Anyway, all valves in spec. In the process I stripped the hex socket part of the cover over the starter clutch. It was practically welded on, and I never got it off. I finished the job but had to remove the whole cover to turn the crank. Thankfully the cover didnt crack, but it was a PITA to line things up.

Any ideas on how to free this up? I didnt want to take a torch to it and cook off the paint. I tried some penetrating oil with no luck initially. Not a big deal since hopefully won't be checking the valves for a while, just annoying.

Thanks
C

An impact driver with a allen/hex bit is your friend.

impact driver.jpg

and make sure you're using the right size allen. could be metric.

It is technically the starter clutch cover plug. I did use the proper size metric allen wrench and it didnt budge. I dont think I would take an impact hammer to it for fear of cracking the cover.

Thanks for your replies.

It is technically the starter clutch cover plug. I did use the proper size metric allen wrench and it didnt budge. I dont think I would take an impact hammer to it for fear of cracking the cover.

Thanks for your replies.
An impact driver (the hammer type) on the screw will not crack the cover. The head of the bolt will not move more than the play in the threads, which is certainly far less than another 1/8th turn when tightening the screws. Back in the old days when those cover screws were all phillips heads instead of allen/socket-head screws, we would routinely take the impact driver with one whack to each screw on the cover before even trying a screwdriver.

The impact driver, the right bit, and a deadblow hammer are your first line of attack.

Once you've bunged up the head, you're pretty much reduced to a hammer and chisel, and that takes a practiced hand, especially when working on a customer's bike. :whistle:

Thanks for your replies.
Why do you need it removed is what I was getting at. Just remove the entire cover......

I got the job done by removing the entire cover. It just would have been easier and maybe more precise if I could have lined up the starter clutch timing mark with the index mark on the cover (arrow).

It is the center cap that I could not remove, not the bolts securing the cover. That is definitely not something I would take an impact driver to.

timing_mark.jpg

I got the job done by removing the entire cover. It just would have been easier and maybe more precise if I could have lined up the starter clutch timing mark with the index mark on the cover (arrow).

It is the center cap that I could not remove, not the bolts securing the cover. That is definitely not something I would take an impact driver to.

timing_mark.jpg
Thanks for clarifying. My bad.

Back