2002 starter clutch question

criomega

Donating Member
Registered
So I looked at past posts and really didnt see the same problems as mine list so please bear with me guys. My 2002 busa I'd say 90% of the time now when you hit the starter button does nothing but spins the starter motor and doesnt crank the motor at all. I have been putting the bike in gear, rolling it forward or back and popping the clutch and trying to start it again. Sometimes this works first try sometimes I have to do this 30 times before it will engage and crank over. So I keep the bike in my livingroom for the winter and an hour ago said I'm taking that thing apart! So I pulled the fairing, the small black cover then the big black cover. I see how the setup is supose to work now. I hold the clutch in my hand and spin it to find that its not locking most of the time...fine I'll buy a new one. I look up the part to see that 12600-24840 CLUTCH SET, STARTER has been replaced by 12600-24850 and so has the GEAR, STARTER IDLE NO.1 which are the same parts as the 2003's. So what I have to do the whole update to 03 specs starter, gears, covers to fix my bike now? I can't just the 3 piece clutch set for $150 and be done with it I have to spend a few hundred and by it all? I'm I reading that right? Thius thing went 9500miles until this started happening more and more. If I have to spend a ton of money just to start this thing they I'm done with busas! Please tell me someone still has/stocks the 2002 part that I can buy and go and restore my feelings for this bike. Or that all I have to do is by the new 12600-24850 part that is listed and it will fix/work right.

PS I have never noticed any of the common grinding,kickback, cluncking I hear people talk about and all the parts/gears look mint and undamaged its just that the starter clutch isnt locking up all the time.

There are a few used ones around as well as some used late model conversion kits. I would update if it was mine, but at the very least install a case-saver sleeve if you keep the 99-02 parts.

So can anyone say for sure if I buy the 12600-24850 that it will not work on my bike. I say this because none of the online sites or the parts counter I called said anything like also need XXX part or anything.

oh and sorry for all the spelling errors I've made.
ohthedrama.gif

If you are looking for the least immediate cost. Buy the case saver, and look for a used starter clutch for most older suzuki's, 96 & newer 750's, 01 and up 1000, and probably some others.
When the busa first came out and we were building up the engines, they were chewing them up like candy. So in a pinch I looked at a 98 750 and ... it worked. Though the width of the gear is slightly smaller, that never was an issue, they just continued to blow, until we started building 24v starting systems. Now the new 03'& newer set-up is the standard upgrade.

all 99-07 starter clutches are the same..look up busaman Im sure he has one?/

I did but just sold the whole setup on ebay..

Well I took the clutch apart and whats wrong is the rollers that lock onto the drive gear have started to flat spot. Heres a case of it not being a defetive part just a worn one. I see no point in fixing something that isnt broke. So that being said I will buy a case saver for my protection and I need to find a good used 99-02 starter clutch. Are you saying someone here may have what I need on these boards?

I should go and figure out how to post a pic on my bike now.

Well I took the clutch apart and whats wrong is the rollers that lock onto the drive gear have started to flat spot. Heres a case of it not being a defetive part just a worn one. I see no point in fixing something that isnt broke. So that being said I will buy a case saver for my protection and I need to find a good used 99-02 starter clutch. Are you saying someone here may have what I need on these boards?

I have all parts you need including case saver..

I have an 02, had the starter replaced under warranty. Also upgrade your battery to the larger -14 model... it will save you down the road plus the bike starts way easier
cool.gif

Check with GoldenChild, he will get you squared away on whatever you need
beerchug.gif

I have all parts you need including case saver..
Also, do a search, I did a whole article compete with pictures on this forum on exactly how to install the titaninum sleeve. You'll find it informative I think. Good luck!

Mine is an 02 and Suzuki paid for the parts to update early last year. So they might do the same for you.

Thats the thing it doesnt crank the first 29 times the start motor just spins up so it doesnt use any power.

a couple hundred dollars!!!!! you are getting off easy, if there is one thing that you will learn about busa's is that owning one and mainting one can be very expensive so if your bi$$$ing about a couple hundred dollars setup that will insure that you won't have the problem again then I would sell it because it is only going to get worse as far as money goes. They make you update to the '03 because that year they fixed the problem that your having right now, if you go back to the 02 or older parts most likely you will have the same problem again in the future!!!
banghead.gif

Last year I put 1000 miles on this bike due to working alot. Your saying these bikes are piles of crap then and I should go buy another Honda then since my F4 went 20k while I owned it with only normal maintance? I have 9500 miles on this bike and the starter parts all look mint just 1 part has alittle wear on it. I seem to have one of the bikes that didnt have the big break stuff problems I just have a wore out part. I think its a good idea to add a case saver while I'm in there just to be safe but theres no reason to buy parts I dont need.

the busa is a pile of crap?
rock.gif
WOW!! all I am saying "bud" is that some people ride these bikes for 25,000 miles and never have a problem with the starter and some go 3,000 miles and have problems. it depends on alot of things including how many times you started the bike with a low battery which they say is the main culprit to the starter having problems. Some people start there bikes one time with a low battery and damage the starter. just because your honda went 20k doesn't mean that a guy down the street with the same bike didn't have problems. All bikes have probs, just look at all of the posts on this site, better yet try the search tab and search the word "problem" and you will be amazed, infact do that on any site and you will be amazed. My thing is if they make a better part that will fix your problem for good then why not spend the extra money for it. Those people that are cheap are usually the ones that have probelms. Don't knock the busa!!!!!
argue.gif

So I looked at past posts and really didnt see the same problems as mine list so please bear with me guys. My 2002 busa I'd say 90% of the time now when you hit the starter button does nothing but spins the starter motor and doesnt crank the motor at all. I have been putting the bike in gear, rolling it forward or back and popping the clutch and trying to start it again. Sometimes this works first try sometimes I have to do this 30 times before it will engage and crank over. So I keep the bike in my livingroom for the winter and an hour ago said I'm taking that thing apart! So I pulled the fairing, the small black cover then the big black cover. I see how the setup is supose to work now. I hold the clutch in my hand and spin it to find that its not locking most of the time...fine I'll buy a new one. I look up the part to see that 12600-24840 CLUTCH SET, STARTER has been replaced by 12600-24850 and so has the GEAR, STARTER IDLE NO.1 which are the same parts as the 2003's. So what I have to do the whole update to 03 specs starter, gears, covers to fix my bike now? I can't just the 3 piece clutch set for $150 and be done with it I have to spend a few hundred and by it all? I'm I reading that right? Thius thing went 9500miles until this started happening more and more. If I have to spend a ton of money just to start this thing they I'm done with busas! Please tell me someone still has/stocks the 2002 part that I can buy and go and restore my feelings for this bike. Or that all I have to do is by the new 12600-24850 part that is listed and it will fix/work right.

PS I have never noticed any of the common grinding,kickback, cluncking I hear people talk about and all the parts/gears look mint and undamaged its just that the starter clutch isnt locking up all the time.
Does yours look like this? This one is off my 2002 that I’m thinking I need to replace cause I replaced me original starter clutch with one that I purchase off eBay but it had a tooth missing and no line up marks like the one I just took off had. After twisting and turning the clutch it actually clicked on the old shaft and I banged it on with my palm and it’s now on. I put it back together but the bike still cranks but won’t start. This is the only part I have not replaced yet. I posted a picture of it on here to find out if it’s worn or not. We’ll see. Could not find one of these to save my life on eBay for some reason

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back