Oil pan cracked

1911boy

Registered
just got my first hayabusa (not first bike) last week. i took it in today for the first (600 mile) service, and was told the oil pan was cracked from the factory. they said they would cover under warranty, but that the oil was very low. anyone had this problem, or know if the motor may have been damaged. thanks

The bike's oil level should have been just fine when you took it in for the 1st 600mi service...

A cracked pan could be the culprit... but I'm no mechanic.
tounge.gif

It should definitely be covered in the warranty.

Welcome to the org!

It's a rule of thumb around here to post pics of your bike... and to introduce yourself.

I've never heard of anyone having that sort of trouble, let alone in the first 600 miles...

<!--EDIT|PaNDeM1C
Reason for Edit: "bored"|1155106958 -->

Also... when you took it in for the 1st service didn't the dealer mechanics answer any questions you might have had/should have asked about the engine?

it is quite possible that the engine could have been hurt...was the oil level ok when you checked it during the past week? hopefully, everything will come out ok...if they are agreeing that it came from the factory cracked, i would get them to put that in writing if at all possible so if issues come up at a later date...btw - welcome and congrats on the new bike

I dont think the engine would have been damaged unless you rode around with the oil press light on... Get the dealerships findings in writing and keep them for future reference just to C.Y.A. Sounds like you should be good to go after a new oil pan... but who knows... depending on where it was cracked maybe the dealership is the one that cracked it... checking to see if the oil drain plug was tight before they serviced it when you bought it... who knows!?! Welcome to the board and keep us updated on what happens!

I would ask for a new engine,and now,chances are,the forth coming failure (bearing) will come when least expected,but never the less premature.This is a problem I've read about before,just ask them for a NEW engine,explain why and they prolly will give it to you,if not,contact Suzuki USA customer service with your concerns,I'm sure you'll get a new engine.

VERY doubtfull the motor will have issues..... you should have still been breaking it in easily....and you never made mention of seeing an oil light come on .....typically you can be 2qts low and with non-aggressive riding, never even notice anything.
Kudos to you if you get a new motor...but I am guessing at best, you will get a free extended warranty...which is a bout 600.00 in most places.

I would also think the mechanic prolly stripped the threads or did the damage...and they are just trying to cover their butts .... if you had an ongoing oil leak you would have had residue on your bike/plates/rear tire and puddles where you parked......they ship dry (no oil) from the factory...so it wasn't unpacked with "low oil" already.

VERY doubtfull the motor will have issues.....  you should have still been breaking it in easily....and you never made mention of seeing an oil light come on .....typically you can be 2qts low and with non-aggressive riding, never even notice anything.
Kudos to you if you get a new motor...but I am guessing at best, you will get a free extended warranty...which is a bout 600.00 in most places.

I would also think the mechanic prolly stripped the threads or did the damage...and they are just trying to cover their butts .... if you had an ongoing oil leak you would have had residue on your bike/plates/rear tire and puddles where you parked......they ship dry (no oil) from the factory...so it wasn't unpacked with "low oil" already.
very good points. Great post.

hogger...

The engines, from what I understand, are rigorously inspected/tested before leaving the manufacturer. Can't imagine it cracking on it's lonesome. This sounds like something the dealer did - likely they stripped the drain plug/bolt.

This is exactly why I am so cautious about ever taking my bike to a dealer for service.

I dont think the engine would have been damaged unless you rode around with the oil press light on...  Get the dealerships findings in writing and keep them for future reference just to C.Y.A.  Sounds like you should be good to go after a new oil pan... but who knows... depending on where it was cracked maybe the dealership is the one that cracked it... checking to see if the oil drain plug was tight before they serviced it when you bought it... who knows!?!  Welcome to the board and keep us updated on what happens!
+1
Welcome to the board

the oil light never came on, and the oil showed full in the window everytime i checked it. i was very gentle on the motor for the first 600, but when i took it in, i heard a faint knocking sound. the dealer agreed to do my first service for free, but said they didnt hear the knocking or think the motor was affected. thanks for the replies, and ill post pictures as soon as i get my bike back...

Back