Changed Oil Today.........Cracked Oil Pan

SSGT_B

Registered
Well the bike is new to me ( 06 Busa ) and was low in the sight level so I figured an oil change was due. That way I knew how many miles on it and when it needed changing again. Found the oil local, got the filter and made it happen. Put it all back together, button her up, add oil.......5 min later a small drip under bike. Wiped off, made sure plug was tight.....drip

Apparently I cracked the pan either removing or installing the oil plug. That's a first for me...and pissed me off to boot. Now I need to source another pan. This blows

Last edited by a moderator:
The pan shouldn't have cracked from over tightening the drain plug. The threads would have pulled first. If it was mine I would try a new drain plug gasket before worrying anymore about it.

Added a few more pictures. The crack is clearly evident in them. Any good shops online to get a used one from? Been looking over ebay. 80-100 plus shipping seems to be the median price for a used one.

Added a few more pictures. The crack is clearly evident in them. Any good shops online to get a used one from? Been looking over ebay. 80-100 plus shipping seems to be the median price for a used one.

OK I see the crack now! Yikes! Post up a wanted ad here if your not in a hurry, never know what someone has to get rid of for cheap.

Thats a 1st I've seen of that happening Yikes!!::9.......

I'd PM Goldenchild he always seems 2 be able 2 get what you need

Looks like the bike was bottomed out, im sure it not new damage.
The pans don't take much to crack them!

You can always get it heli-arced, ie... welded. Just keep in mind you have to heat the pan up and get all the oil out of the crack or it might create porosity which will cause it to leak again. Even after it welded I would smear something similar to JB weld that can take the heat inside the pan. Perhaps a 260 degree rating. I don't think the oil gets any hotter than 260 F on a warm day.

I would just buy a new billet pan or a used 1 off ebay before going through all that trouble & uncertainty

Be done with it, get a new pan.

Is that red threadlock I see? Because, if it is, that in itself could keep the bolt so tight as to encourage a crack getting it off. And totally unnecessary...

If it's not threadlock, then it's RTV, which to mean means this bike has seen a trackday?

I have a stock pan i could let go for a fair price. I just upgraded to a billet pro street wedge pan on my race bike. 50$ tyd? will accept a return if its not up to your satisfaction. I could even include a fresh cometic gasket for that price too.

Icemansid you have a pm

It's not loctite it was rtv I tried to seal the plug before I saw te crack. As for trackdays, I just got the bike and have no clue if the po rode it there

On the first image posted it looks like the "guard" for the oil plug is chewed up some.
I checked mine and it's pretty smooth in comparison.
So it had to take a hit or hits to chew it up like that and that could have caused the hairline crack.
My exhaust pipes hang down a little lower then that guard so I'm not sure what happened.
Could the previous owner have used a jack at that point to lift the bike - for a front tire change? IDK.

Was the first oil removed (by you) real dark or black? If so that makes me think the previous
owner knew about it and hadn't changed the oil in awhile. Maybe that is why it was low on oil.
Sometimes a thick black used oil might not be able to get through the hairline crack, but when you
changed to new oil it was thin enough to get through.

Since you already have the exhaust off, I would bite the bullet and just get another oil pan.
Do you want to go through this again? Remember you get what you pay for and if you buy a used
one you MIGHT have problems again where as a new one should last a long time if it's not damaged
while you own it.

New oil pan = $144.23
Oil pan gasket = 10.56
Oil plug drain = 3.56
Plug gasket = 1.66

So about $160. Prices are from my dealer and they offer free shipping every so often and if you are out of
state then you might not have to pay sales tax, IDK.

Of course it's your choice.
Let us know what you decide. Good Luck. :thumbsup:

The old oil was pretty dark yet not completely black. I'm certain its been bottomed out at some point. The bottom of the headers are flat. Will be doing a full exhaust sometime after the first of the year. A used pan is fine for now, I will be having my old one shaved down an inch and new drain plug put in place. Thanks for the prices on new ones as that may be a future need. Right now, I would just like to ride..LOL All the susp settings were maxed out by PO, no susp travel. Got those baseline adjusted for now. Forks were misaligned by 4cm, those are even now. Brake pads are replaced. Now I need to deal with this wobbling steering damper, flat spot on rear wheel, and get new cush drive bushings. Eventually this will be a very clean, stable bike to ride.

Just put the pain and drain plug through the parts washer. I do have a new cometic gasket i will be throwing in as well. The pan does not leak. It has not been bottomed out. the guard is broken because i was unloading it after it had been lowered and it caught the lip of the trailer. that happened several years ago and has not had any issues since then.

20141126_124450.jpg

20141126_124502.jpg

20141126_124511.jpg

20141126_124525.jpg

20141126_124656.jpg

Well the bike is new to me ( 06 Busa ) and was low in the sight level so I figured an oil change was due. That way I knew how many miles on it and when it needed changing again. Found the oil local, got the filter and made it happen. Put it all back together, button her up, add oil.......5 min later a small drip under bike. Wiped off, made sure plug was tight.....drip

Apparently I cracked the pan either removing or installing the oil plug. That's a first for me...and pissed me off to boot. Now I need to source another pan. This blows

"Off Rant"

FaceBook Links Do Not Work
FaceBook Links Do Not Work

You must have been at my house...lol.. did the exact same thing. I got away with having it welded. no problems with leaks. perhaps you can get it welded instead of buying a new one

Back