oil pan for 04 busa

386boy

Registered
had a crack around drain plug so I am attmepting to remove and replace oil pan..was told that it was not a hard job, but once removed fairing and looked underneath, umm it seems like i won't be able to remove it without moving the exhaust. anyone have done similar or have any comfortable ideas and expirience.

I had my drain plug hole threads strip and I was going to replace the whole pan, but decided to have it repaired. I had to remove the exhaust header which is tricky even with the radiator tilted forward. You will need a stubby allen to get into the tight spots. after that you have to remove the oil cooler line and the oil pan bolts. I had just recently replaced my tranny with an undercut one so the oil pan gasket was fairly new. I used some gray honda pro gasket maker just in case. Buttoned everything back up and no more leaky leaky. Here are some before and after picks of thread repair:

IMG_1892.jpg

Thanks for the info..well ya never learn until you tackle it..I am sure it will be a challenge!! once i dropped the fairings, i was like awwwwww hell here we go.

I was the same way when I dropped the motor for the tranny swap and ran across the crank shaft balancer. I did not know that it had to be removed just to get to the last bolt holding the cases together. Good luck bro!

I find it much easier to just drop the radiator and oil cooler, get them completely out of the way. Then the headers are a piece of cake. Take the mufflers and mid pipes off together, then the headers. Too many guys ding up the radiator and oil cooler trying to work around them. Complete removal is best for me!

Last Saturday we installed a new exhaust system on my 08. With two of us working, it took about 45 minutes to have the everything including radiator & oil cooler off and back on with the new pipes. It's not a big job. Just take you time and be careful not to ding your coolers.

Use carboard on the radiator, saves the radiator and oil cooler from getting all beat up + saves your knuckles too !
thumb_up.gif

Back