Cops out last night

moondog

Donating Member
Registered
we were on Dickson st. (popular college town bar strip) last night and there were four officers with decibel meters checking all the bikes. We talked to one of the officers and he told us the city cousel was getting ready to pass a noise ordinance law and they were gathering readings to set the limit. He told us the sportbikes they had checked were all pretty quiet compared to the hardleys which, in his opinion, were incredibly annoying. He said if they set the limits where they want, most of the v-twins would be ticketed. As usual, there were 10 v-twins to every 1 sportbike, and I agree that it can become pretty hard to take when they start the who's loudest back and forth motor reving stuff, but damn! Another way to get a ticket, just what we need. They were gone by the time we left so I didn't get checked. I think I would be ok, my yoshies aren't too loud. I guess we'll see...?
rock.gif

I kind of agree with a noise ordinance. I have 2 kids that are asleep and then around 2 am you hear someone drivng past revving the motor real loud or blasting the stereo. Have some respect for those that have to get up in a few hours. Then again, if you are cruising along some nice summer day to have a cop pull you over and say your bike is too loud is ridiculous. I think it is time for the AMA to hear about this one.

Sad that so many are actually impressed by something so low & slow making a bunch of noise. " Got me a set of pipes for my Hardley, done went and took the baffles out-man does it sound cool". What a mentality! To each his own, but I dislike cruisers more and more every day. Got a metric one in my garage that my wife rides and can't wait to replace it with something a little more useful & versatile. You know, something that will get out of it's own way and actually handle. The only thing some cruisers have going for them is comfort and beyond that it's all egos and marketing.
rant.gif

The only thing some cruisers have going for them is comfort and beyond that it's all egos and marketing.          
rant.gif
I don't know about that comfortable thing my back has stopped hurting since I got off the cruisers and on the Busa and all these cruiser riders keep telling me how uncomfortable my bike is HA LITTLE DO THEY KNOW

ticket my ass... riding a perfectly street legal form of transportation, and get a ticket for it being loud?

...okay, 103dB on the meter... maybe its a BIT loud...
biggrin.gif

They already have that here in New Jersey. Shoot, it is so bad around my neighborhood I got twelve tickets just riding my bicycle home after a night of Burrito Supremes with extra hot sauce from Taco Bell.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|RedNeckBusaBoy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1118479238 -->

laugh.gif

the way I see it is loud pipes are about the only thing the v-twin crowd has....lord knows ya don't buy one for the performance. Now what are they going too do? Good for two things, looking pretty and being loud. You know what they say - harley has it down when it comes to converting gasoline into loud noise without that "pesky" horsepower byproduct....
tounge.gif

Sad that so many are actually impressed by something so low & slow making a bunch of noise. " Got me a set of pipes for my Hardley, done went and took the baffles out-man does it sound cool". What a mentality! To each his own, but I dislike cruisers more and more every day. Got a metric one in my garage that my wife rides and can't wait to replace it with something a little more useful & versatile. You know, something that will get out of it's own way and actually handle. The only thing some cruisers have going for them is comfort and beyond that it's all egos and marketing.
rant.gif
laugh.gif
People are always commenting how uncomfortable sportbikes are. Whenever I ask " so you've ridden one?" It's always no.

It kills me,too....they're out wasting time checking pipes?
rock.gif
?
I know cops are doing what they're told but let's get the drunks off the streets that are driving EVERYWHERE first, eh?

<!--EDIT|diesel
Reason for Edit: None given...|1118490954 -->

we were on Dickson st. (popular college town bar strip) last night and there were four officers with decibel meters checking all the bikes. We talked to one of the officers and he told us the city cousel was getting ready to pass a noise ordinance law and they were gathering readings to set the limit. He told us the sportbikes they had checked were all pretty quiet compared to the hardleys which, in his opinion, were incredibly annoying. He said if they set the limits where they want, most of the v-twins would be ticketed. As usual, there were 10 v-twins to every 1 sportbike, and I agree that it can become pretty hard to take when they start the who's loudest back and forth motor reving stuff, but damn!  Another way to get a ticket, just what we need. They were gone by the time we left so I didn't get checked. I think I would be ok, my yoshies aren't too loud. I guess we'll see...?
rock.gif
I want to know, what's a Harley doing in a college town?
rock.gif

rock.gif

Sorry fellas but I disagree. My Softail is WAY more comfortable than my Busa. But I did not get my Busa for its comfort level. As for the loud pipes .... yeah, some guys get carried away just like the liter bike guys do with their loud mosquito pipes. My bike is audible at low rpm's and sounds sweeeeet under any type of acceleration.

Busa_020.jpg

harleys in a college town....must be a dental college....wait, we do have a law school, too.
jump9.gif

the cops using hand held meters wont stand up in court.. when the manufacturer tests its under controlled conditions without outside interference of other noises. so unless they are hauling around a sound proof box and calibrated noise measuring devices.. well its`a waste of time..

Back