Conversation with the Navy + Bike Preparation

V8N3T

More mods plz..
Donating Member
Registered
Hello everyone,
I just had a discussion with the Navy and it went something along the lines of this:

Me: “Hello and good morning.â€

Navy: “Good morning Rob, hey did you hear about the new TPS reports?â€

Me: “Yeah I did, I actually have one right here.â€

Navy: “Yeah……about that. In case you didn’t notice were putting those on
all reports now.â€

Me: “Yeah I did, I got it.â€

Navy: “Yeahhh…..well I’m going to have to ask you to come in on Saturday….â€

Me: “Oh, ok…â€

Navy: “Actually you’re going to be deployed again, so grab your sea bag. K Thanks…..â€

For those who don’t know I just got back from Iraq almost two months ago. The deployment was for one year, and they are voiding my whole 6months non-deployable and deploying me anyways.

So my question here is this:

What do I need to do to prepare my bike to sit?

Drain gas and disconnect the battery? Is there any way for me to acquire a trickle charger from a local shop? I have a Scorpio i900 alarm on my bike if I disconnect my batter the alarm dies with it. My wife uses the alarm like a brinks home security system as well lol. So we would like to keep the battery hooked up.

Thanks in advance yall!

V/R

Rob

If it is actually happening the way that you say, you may want to check into the administrative requirements. 400+ deployed days will take you over Department of Defence rules and may entitle you to extra money per month deployed and earning leave at a different rate (extra days per month). Make sure that in any conversation you have with your command that you never say anything about not minding deployment, or that you volunteer - if you volunteer - you get nada. There aren't very many ways for you to get your pint of blood back from the DoD, so make sure you understand what you are entitled to on a forced deployment - and as soon as you do understand, ensure that you command knows that you understand.

Use a fuel stabilizer and a battery tender. I did it to my jet ski and it sat for a year +. I started it for a few minutes every few months. I am doing the same to my busa because of my shoulder sugary and its been more that 3 months right now. Good luck and be safe.

Trickle Charger for bat. Fuel stabalizer for fuel. Change oil if you wanna and then just let it sit. I think the owners manual says something about storing it if you wanna follow that

Trickle Charger for bat. Fuel stabalizer for fuel. Change oil if you wanna and then just let it sit. I think the owners manual says something about storing it if you wanna follow that

Don't know about some of the oils we use in our bikes these days, synthetics may also be different...but something I have learned from boats is change the used oil...get it out and put fresh in if it's going to be sitting that long.

Old used oil sometimes separates and some of the separation is an acid that can eat away at internals over a period of time. Like I say, that's something learned from boats, but I couldn't see it being much different in any other vehicle over a long period of time.

Fill tank completely up and put some stabilizer in it and run it a little to get it into the lines.
Either remove the battery or put it on a tender....for along period I would just remove it.
If you have stands put the bike up on them to keep the tires off the ground.
Fill the oil to the top and drain it and replace it with new and correct amount when you get back.
Cover it.

Be safe and thanks:bowdown:

If you can I'd consider getting a cheap set of front and rear stands to support your bike. Actually, if you can spend the cash, get some good stands. A good set will be around for years.

Get some fuel stabilizer, take it with you to closest gas station, before filling up measure and pour the correct amount into tank, filler up mixing it at the same time, ride it back home getting the fuel mix in through the system, drain oil, change filter, filler up to top of case with dino oil to keep moisture out, disconnect battery from bike and put the battery tender on. If you don't have someone roll the bike a little you could get flat spots on the tires.

Get yourself a good picture of her and bring it with you. Get in get out reunite and Godspeed to you my fellow American. Fight the good fight.

Last edited:
Man, sorry to hear that...definitaly blows. I got back in April and it's still too soon for me to want to go back. Hope you get the bike squared away and are given some time to take care of everything before you leave. Good luck, keep your head down

Fill tank completely up and put some stabilizer in it and run it a little to get it into the lines.
Either remove the battery or put it on a tender....for along period I would just remove it.
If you have stands put the bike up on them to keep the tires off the ground.
Fill the oil to the top and drain it and replace it with new and correct amount when you get back.
Cover it.

Be safe and thanks
:bowdown:

This is all good info. Can't hurt to ask the wifey if she'd mind starting it for you every few weeks and let it run for a few minutes.

OH! AND TO THE NAVY RE-DEPLOYING YOU AFTER ONLY BEING HOME FOR TWO FRIGGIN' MONTHS.......
:moon:

Everythings been covered, thanks for your service, stabilize that fuel, battery tender Jr. about $19, put her on stands for multiple reasons.

Thanks for all the good information everyone. I went and got a battery tender for 25bucks, its the black and Decker one. It came with 3 leads, a DC version, Cigarette charger plug and battery clamps. I just took the short little 5inch wire with the positive/neg leads and hooked them up to the battery for good. I then ran the pig tail into the tail section so I can keep it on there and hook it up regularly on the constant 1amp charge. It has the selection for 2amps but I figure 1amp is enough to keep a charge.

Thanks again everyone.

V/R

Rob

Is it a battery charger,or a battery tender (aka float charger)? A regular battery charger will damage the battery if left on for an extended time. A float charger just keeps the battery topped off.

Godspeed and safe return. Thank you for your service :bowdown:

You can get a Shumacher battery charger from Walmart for about $20.00, mine works great, and it's a full floating charger.

Is it a battery charger,or a battery tender (aka float charger)? A regular battery charger will damage the battery if left on for an extended time. A float charger just keeps the battery topped off.

Godspeed and safe return. Thank you for your service :bowdown:

I will look that up, thanks for the heads up.

It is from Black&Decker so it should be of decent quality. It actually says on the top of the device:

Black&Decker Float Mode Charger, 12V | 2AMP | off | 1AMP |

I have it set on 1AMP and you can hear it kick on, and then turn off again. It does that very slowly about every 10seconds.

Back