2008 Bike is mechanically fine but won't start

oliverross

Registered
My 2008 Hayabusa won’t start. The lights come on, starter motor turns, alarm and immobiliser procedures (i.e. lights flashing etc.) are the ones that I expect, but the engine does not start and I get error code “CHECâ€￾ on my screen. The Kill Switch is disabled, side stand down but engine in neutral (which is my usual starting position and that usually works). One noticeable thing is that the red LED does NOT come on next to the ignition key slot.

This problem has been progressive over the last three weeks – in other words the problem generally cleared and I got the bike started eventually, but now I just get the “CHECâ€￾ error message, no red LED and the Bike doesn’t (and cannot) start.

I would be very grateful for any ideas.

sounds like the factory mobilizer (does the key have a battery) on them ? but im guessing its not reading the chip in the key

all i can think of

I have no idea what has created your start problem but what I do know is more folks will read your thread if you turn the "BOLD PRINT" off!

If you have any mods incorporated into the electrical system, I start by disconnecting them one by one.

Thanks go all for those responses, and I hope that the BOLD has gone.

There is a device in the key which is passive and has to be in proximity of the ignition switch at the time that the bike is started. The reasoning behind that is to exclude any non-original keys. I thought that it might be the battery in the alarm remote fob, but this does the business of turning the alarm on and off and that appears to work, so that is probably a red herring.

I have never understood the fine red LED next to the ignition. In normal times it flashes when the bike is started up and then goes off. Now it is permanently off which looks as if it is indicative of a failure of some kind. There is no explanation of the red LED in the manual save to say that it flashes on ignition, so that is not very helpful.

Lonner's idea is consistent with the fact that the problem has been getting progressively worse which may indicate a deteriorating IC which has now just let go.

If you do have the immobilizer, try the other key. Otherwise disconnect the alarm and see if that helps.

i quite like bold print as it saves me using my reading glasses:laugh:

as above on the disconnect alarm if poss :thumbsup:

Good point. I have tried the spare key but it is the same. I have tried to switch off the CAT1 alarm from Acumen and the tracker from Datatool, but that is in fact almost impossible, but they seem to working fine and do not appear to be interfering. Having said that these systems are designed to immobilise the bike and that is what appears to have happened. One would think, though, that if you disable the immobiliser it will release the bike.

The one thing I haven't done is to check the fuses...

The number of red LED flashes indicated the number of programmed keys you have. Stock Hayabusa came with 2 original keys hence it should flash twice when you turn the key to On mode.

If there isn't any Red light coming up, there should be a problem with your immobilzer system.

Back