Organ Donors......

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
The other day I was in Cycle World looking for a few things and the young guy walks into the parts department and right up to the counter. “I want to know how to get a knee down†he asks. The two girls behind the counter looked perplexed but one tried to explain. “Well you get off the bike as far as you can and then reach down with the knee, but you have to be very fastâ€. Usually I just keep my mouth shut but this dude was getting first in line at the organ donor clinic! “So I asked why do you want to get a knee down?†He said it’s cool and some of his friends did it. So I start from the beginning:

“Well, most really fast riders don’t get a knee down much and almost never on a public road. MotoGP riders are different and if you think you can do what they do on the street you will be dead long before you get good enough to lean that much. The first thing you need to know is how to steer and how to brake. Do you know what counter steering is?†No, he replied. So I explained that. He didn’t believe me so we went out to his bike. I asked him “if you want to go left what do you do?†“lean the bike to the left†he said. “Ok so now turn your bars to the right and see what the bike does – careful don’t fall overâ€. So he turned the bars to the right and sure enough the bike leaned left. “You ever feel like the bike is not going where you want it to in a turn?†“Yes†Use counter steering and that will not be a problem. When you counter steer the bike has to fall to the opposite direction you are steering – no matter how fast it is going. Otherwise the bike gets harder and harder to force it to lean as it goes faster.â€

Then I asked him if he uses the front or rear brakes or both. “The rearâ€, he replied. “I have a couple friends who are into motocross and they say stay away from the front brake.†Wow, this guy is headed to road rash city! “dirt bikes don’t have much traction and are always sliding, that’s why the back brake works. But on the street 70% of your load is on the front tire so if you use the rear brake only the most stopping power you have is 30%. Also the rear brake can destabilize the bike if you don’t know what you are doing.†“I’m afraid I’ll flip with the front brakeâ€, he says. That’s why you have to practice. You have to train yourself to squeeze the lever smoothly until it takes up slack and starts slowing the bike, then add pressure as needed. The front tire will shutter when it begins to slip and if you are really flying it will chirp – but if you can make it chirp you better know what you are doing.†“Well I still feel better using the back brake.†“Your call, but you will crash when someone stops in front of you or it’s rainingâ€, I replied.

“So how do I set my suspension so I can drag a knee?†“You don’t. You setup the suspension so that the bike is as stable as possible then you fine tune it to your riding style/conditions†I said, thinking this guy is a total idiot. He then shows me that he has the preload all the way in on his forks, and the compression as stiff as possible and the rebound as light as possible. He asks “is this right?†I tell him “look, there is no way you can adjust this yourself, hell you don’t even know what’s right if you got lucky and hit that setting!†“So, you make the suspension as hard as possible to make it turn right, my friend told me race suspension is stifferâ€. I was done now and said “Take the bike to a dealer and have the suspension setup properly before you kill yourself. Race bikes have harder suspension because race tracks are smooth as glass, roads aren’t. Besides racers are going way faster than you are supposed to. One of the most important things you will notice about a good rider is that they don’t take stupid risks, they ride according to the conditions whether they are on a track or a road.â€

It truly amazes me that people like that are out on the road. They could even buy something like a liter bike or a Busa. It’s like letting a 5 year old play with a grenade! :banghead::banghead:

No clue what counter-steering is?! :banghead:

Did he actually ride the bike there? Or ever?! :laugh:

Sad, but true, he'll be a statistic in no time. Best thing he can do is sell it and walk.

If he's truly serious about learning to ride, he should take a course, then do track days, but he needs to stay off of the streets. I'm not heading your way now Willie. What did his bike look like so I avoid him :rofl:

Yeah I'm starting to feel like the old dude nobody wants to talk to....lol.

I had a kid start a convo with me about bikes. He was on a ratty Honda 600. Hey man....What size is that? (Asking about my Busa). I said...it's 1300CC. Is it fast? He asked. Nope I replied. So I'm looking over his bike. I said...Hey do you ever clean or wax your chain (At idle it was bouncing with slop). His response....Nope.......I have never had a chain go bad on me.

The bike had been down, rashed up, taped up, and missing here and there parts. Then the little dumbchyt thinks its time to race. Next light he is all up in my face. Man I just toasted you. I just quietly pulled away at the light. He came screaming by at about 10K.

As it happened we were going to the same place. It was a benefit ride for a local wounded vet. He is all smack talk when I come pull in.

Man that big bike no wonder you can't go fast. I was taking my gear off and some other dude comes over and is looking at my bike. Listening to the kid. Kid is like...I toasted him back at the Old Shell Intersection. The new guys says....you have no clue what that bike is. He pointed to me and said to the kid, "If he wanted to race you it would be over before 2nd gear happened. You have no clue what you're talking about.

I just kept on walking over to the benefit, thinking, this kid will never make it.

Yeah I'm starting to feel like the old dude nobody wants to talk to....lol.

I had a kid start a convo with me about bikes. He was on a ratty Honda 600. Hey man....What size is that? (Asking about my Busa). I said...it's 1300CC. Is it fast? He asked. Nope I replied. So I'm looking over his bike. I said...Hey do you ever clean or wax your chain (At idle it was bouncing with slop). His response....Nope.......I have never had a chain go bad on me.

The bike had been down, rashed up, taped up, and missing here and there parts. Then the little dumbchyt thinks its time to race. Next light he is all up in my face. Man I just toasted you. I just quietly pulled away at the light. He came screaming by at about 10K.

As it happened we were going to the same place. It was a benefit ride for a local wounded vet. He is all smack talk when I come pull in.

Man that big bike no wonder you can't go fast. I was taking my gear off and some other dude comes over and is looking at my bike. Listening to the kid. Kid is like...I toasted him back at the Old Shell Intersection. The new guys says....you have no clue what that bike is. He pointed to me and said to the kid, "If he wanted to race you it would be over before 2nd gear happened. You have no clue what you're talking about.

I just kept on walking over to the benefit, thinking, this kid will never make it.

You must have the slowest color :laugh:

What really winds me up is when a guy like this talks a girl into going for a ride with him and she is wearing a tank top, shorts, flip flops, no gloves and a very poorly fitting helmet. The odds aren't good for her at that point...

the longer you ride, the more these guys stand out...they show up at the beginning of every riding season and are lucky to make it past May without ending up sliding down the road or in the ditch...like FlatlandBusa, i just hope they don't hurt anyone else when they earn their Darwin medal :banghead:

Bringing this one back up to the top...

Omar and I drove to Chesapeake on Saturday to pick up a swimming pool. We'd found out about it from a local sport bike forum on Facebook. Anyway, the young guy that posted the pool up was there with his family to help us tear it down and load it up in Omar's motorcycle trailer. Nice guy, in the Army, rides a sport bike. He found out we both ride Busas and he needled us a bit for riding such huge sport bikes. We got the usual "you just go in straight lines, right?" and "you just ride to go eat, right?" comments, then he saw Tail of the Dragon stuff hanging up in the trailer and was shocked we'd been there. I told him we'd both been many times, and that Omar knows how to get his knee down on the Busa.

It's OK to do the back and forth trash talking so many of us do, and this kid is serving our Country, getting ready to deploy in July. He wants his wife to ride her own motorcycle, so he keeps pushing her to do that, but she's apprehensive. I told them both twice to get her in the MSF course - that's the best way for her to even see if it's something she wants to do. They didn't show much interest in that at all. She then told me that he's only been riding for 2 years and has already crashed :(

On Sunday, the sport bike group that we all belong to had a ride to the Outer Banks area; sounds like 30 or so bikes were heading out, and from what I can see, there were 2 or 3 separate crashes. One was serious and resulted in a young man breaking his neck when he couldn't negotiate a turn on his Yamaha.

I've been a part of this FB group for over a year now; never ridden with them, and the more I see posted, the less interested I am in going on a ride. I see myself as Willie saw himself that day in the bike shop - wanting desperately to tell them what they're doing wrong :banghead:

Last edited:
Fallen, I commend you for taking the time to get involved and trying to help. A lot of people wouldn't. Thanks so much for representing us well.

Oh and not that it matters when he goes down, but what was he riding?

nvm... you answered that... I just missed it.

First thing I did was check to see if it was a Ninja 636...it was some red/white Yami

I run into a lot of young guys in my area. The roads around are a favorite for sport bikers so they all pass through here. I always take the time to "preach" if they will listen.

I don't preach. They won't listen.

I just ride quietly and carry a big stick. On occasion I remind them of the food chain they live in. But for the most part, they do their thing, I do mine. Probably better that way. I did a lot of stupid stuff as a kid on a bike. I didn't want a preaching to myself. I am lucky to have lived through that stupidity.

Once in awhile.........I admit......I give them an asswhoopin when they deserve it.

Eh, my school of thought is that if you can change even one mind, perhaps you'll save one of them...most won't listen, sadly, because they already know better than we do :laugh: but you might affect one. It's worth a shot...

Actually I mix in a little how to ride fast or set the bike up in there and for the most part they listen. Young people don't want and old guy telling them to go slow and ride like an old lady. But they do want knowledge about the bikes. So I give them what I have as far as knowledge and then try to work in some moderation stuff. This actually works well. Some people ride because of the image, others ride because of peer pressure, but there are those who are just born to be on a motorcycle and they usually want information or to hear about your adventures.

I run into a lot of young guys in my area. The roads around are a favorite for sport bikers so they all pass through here. I always take the time to "preach" if they will listen.

Good on you Bro.:bowdown:
I will try and help any biker that will listen.Its what we should all do.

RSD.

Back