Considering a 2nd bike

04busa007

Registered
Living in San Diego, I basically ride everyday to work. I've been considering a 2nd bike so I don't put so many miles on the Busa since I want to have it for a long time. Has anyone else done something like this and been satisfied, or did you find yourself basically shelving your extra ride?

I bought a 750 and take both to the track. I ride them equally as they're both different and act differently on the track.

Couldn't say about a commuter bike. But you tend to ride what's fun to ride.

I've got a VTX1300R that I ride during the week to work (about a 75 mile a day round trip commute) and I have the busa and cbr for weekend fun.

GSXR750
beerchug.gif

I have five that I just rotate on my commute to work (84 miles per day). The weekend bike depends upon who I am riding with.
smile.gif

The BUsa is my touring bike. It stays on the shelf untill touring time. My commuter is a Kawi ZRX. For me, its alot more fun tha the busa, expecially when commuting/lane splitting.

My 2cents: the busa is a boring bike at legal speeds, hence its my touring bike. the Rex just rocks for commuting duty. I recommend any bike with an upright seating position when youre splitting lanes.

If I was to get a 2nd bike for a commuter I'd would most likely get a Bandit 1250/1200. A good all around bike with a great price to it to boot.

It really depends on how you wanna ride to work though. 600/750 gonna give a different ride then a Bandit and so forth.

If a motorcycle was my main source of transportation I would most likely have two bikes. I bought my Busa brand new in 06 and haven't broke 4K mi yet hehe!

yeah I used to ride an R6 and I just don't know if I could go back to the lack of power. I was thinking litre bike minimum, or maybe even another Busa who knows. I don't have a problem splitting lanes on this one even though it is a little wide so that's not really an issue. Really just wanted to make sure that people who owned a Busa could actually ride a different bike without hating it =). I test-drove a Ducati monster, that thing was so damn slow there's no way in hell I could ride that.

I've got a VTX1300R that I ride during the week to work (about a 75 mile a day round trip commute) and I have the busa and cbr for weekend fun.
I am running a VTX 1300c, the Busa, a Honda Rutkus (85mpg) for in the City from the train, and an electric Schwinn when I need to take it on the train.

An average day is like this. VTX to the train station 30 miles train to Stamford 100m miles Rutkus from train station to Office 3 miles.

Going to my other office is VTX 70 ( or Jeep) miles if I take the Jeep i take the electric scooter and ride 3 miles and avoid parking @ $21 per day.

I recommend any bike with an upright seating position when youre splitting lanes.
why?
I find that in an up right position it is easier for me to see in all directions. I can look over my shoulder easier and look into blind spots. Its tougher when leaning forward. Try it. Sit upright in a chair and look around by using only your neck. Then try it again when leaned foward with your elbows near on/near your knees.

The Rex also has a wider flatter handle bar for more leverage. It weighs less and is more nimble.

For urban commuting duties, especially if it includes bumper to bumper and speeds below 60 mph, the Busa is a 5 gallon jug, when all I need is a canteen.

NB: These are my opinions based on my experiences. The busa rocks, but im sure someone will flame me for not loving it more than they do. I second the recs for the Bandit. I looked into it when shopping for the Rex. I wanted a Green bike so got the Kawi. I am on the fence on weather or not Ill get a third bike (a second commuter). I will be moving to a duty station where my commute will not include highway travel (ie 50mph or less). Im looking into a motard (DRZ).

Good luck!

Get a B-King and I promise you wont regret it. Just find someone in your area that knows you and will let you test ride one. Then you wont even think about your busa anymore you will say hi to it every once in a while when you park next to it in the garage but thats about it.

On second thought you better not get a B-King. Not if you want to keep riding the busa. The King is addicting and once you take a taste you will want more.

-vJ-

Back