considering the ultimate, built or bought?

mekaz

Registered
hello all! hope all is well! ok, getting right to it, I am very seriously considering a turbo busa. I am currently on an 06 LE(NA) which is by far my favorite bike I ever been on in very close to 20 yrs. I assume I don't need to tell u the laundry list of reasons. Having been on this bike for the last 3yrs almost daily racking 23k miles on her, she has developed the 2nd gear disease at 29k. its driving me nuts. So after months of weighing my options and babying the bike, I have come to a crossroad as far as what to do. Do I have someone fix this issue(any ideas how and with whom in SoCal would be HUGELY appreciated), or do I just move the bike at a discount due to the issue? Also any idea what it would cost to fix? Im considering cutting my losses and taking whatever I can get for it to put towards another form of busa. Like I said, I love them. That other form of busa, would potentially be of the turbo nature. heres the thing, I ride ALOT between the 2 bikes I got(04vfr is the other). A question I have, is it possible to almost daily a turbo busa? I could care less about the comfort in any form, but can they be durable? Reliable? Sorry so many questions but I don't want anything that will cost me the ability to ride whenever I feel like. Dependability is close to the top of my list. dare I say this as it sounds weird in my head but, if I want more, should I just consider an H2? Thank you all for your professional opinion. Sincerely, mike

hello all! hope all is well! ok, getting right to it, I am very seriously considering a turbo busa. I am currently on an 06 LE(NA) which is by far my favorite bike I ever been on in very close to 20 yrs. I assume I don't need to tell u the laundry list of reasons. Having been on this bike for the last 3yrs almost daily racking 23k miles on her, she has developed the 2nd gear disease at 29k. its driving me nuts. So after months of weighing my options and babying the bike, I have come to a crossroad as far as what to do. Do I have someone fix this issue(any ideas how and with whom in SoCal would be HUGELY appreciated), or do I just move the bike at a discount due to the issue? Also any idea what it would cost to fix? Im considering cutting my losses and taking whatever I can get for it to put towards another form of busa. Like I said, I love them. That other form of busa, would potentially be of the turbo nature. heres the thing, I ride ALOT between the 2 bikes I got(04vfr is the other). A question I have, is it possible to almost daily a turbo busa? I could care less about the comfort in any form, but can they be durable? Reliable? Sorry so many questions but I don't want anything that will cost me the ability to ride whenever I feel like. Dependability is close to the top of my list. dare I say this as it sounds weird in my head but, if I want more, should I just consider an H2? Thank you all for your professional opinion. Sincerely, mike
what country/state are u in?

Well, in the end, it's your time and money so only you can make that call as to what to do.

How many miles are on your bike now?

Is this the bike you see yourself owning basically forever-if so, it doesn't matter what you spend on it.

The gears can be fixed as it is a common issue with those bikes so that's not a deal breaker...

Depends how much hp and if it's tuned good, what hp range you expecting? SWB?

I daily rode my turbo busa didn't change just more power.
Hi Jeff, I'm looking for somewhere round 250-275hp. Nothing nuts. I would prefer SWB. Or damn close. If thats semi safe and realistic of course. The reliability part is what concerns me the most but as u said, nothing changed, just more power. That is exactly what I want. Thanks man!

Well, in the end, it's your time and money so only you can make that call as to what to do.

How many miles are on your bike now?

Is this the bike you see yourself owning basically forever-if so, it doesn't matter what you spend on it.

The gears can be fixed as it is a common issue with those bikes so that's not a deal breaker...
Hey Bee, just turned 30k miles. That is a very good point. I keep bikes a long time. I get attached lol. maybe I fix the tranny and get a turbo installed? would u recommend doing this w 30k on the motor? Or another route...Thx!

Hey Bee, just turned 30k miles. That is a very good point. I keep bikes a long time. I get attached lol. maybe I fix the tranny and get a turbo installed? would u recommend doing this w 30k on the motor? Or another route...Thx!
30,000 miles is nothing on these bikes. I'd say fix the gearbox issue,build the engine properly the first time and then boost it.

Don't cheap out on parts required.

30,000 miles is nothing on these bikes. I'd say fix the gearbox issue,build the engine properly the first time and then boost it.

Don't cheap out on parts required.
Thank you! Actually, on here in the classifieds there is a red and white gen 2 turbo for sale in Atlanta. Full list of parts and low miles. looks amazing!

Thank you! Actually, on here in the classifieds there is a red and white gen 2 turbo for sale in Atlanta. Full list of parts and low miles. looks amazing!
If it's built right, it might be ok but you never can tell...

Sometimes you are better to build and then you know what you have with no surprises...picking a good builder is the key.

In some ways you are better to fix the old gal up and then keep her as you are used to her....in other ways, sometimes something new is exciting too...

Hi Jeff, I'm looking for somewhere round 250-275hp. Nothing nuts. I would prefer SWB. Or damn close. If thats semi safe and realistic of course. The reliability part is what concerns me the most but as u said, nothing changed, just more power. That is exactly what I want. Thanks man!
Order a rcc stage 1 kit get slave support, clutch mod few heavier springs, good tune and send it. Do more oil changes, plug changes. You could build the motor for future boost bump. But 250 hp on swb is fun..... lol.

Order a rcc stage 1 kit get slave support, clutch mod few heavier springs, good tune and send it. Do more oil changes, plug changes. You could build the motor for future boost bump. But 250 hp on swb is fun..... lol.
OK! Yeah I really like what I got aesthetically. Not a ton of gen 1 white bikes running around. Surprisingly out here in socal its hard to find people who can do turbos. That was a big reason I considered buying built or dare I say it, considered an H2. I wish I was, but am not, mechanically talented enough to do this job on my own. Thats my girl. 06 limited. D&D full exhaust, KN filter, Galfer lines all round, EBC HH pads but stock otherwise. Best mod? The brakes. Somebody smart on here told me to do those first, and I listened. thanks man, I will let u know what direction I end up going. If u know anybody in socal who can handle a turbo busa build please let me know. its tiiiiiiiiiime!

IMG_2434.JPG

OK! Yeah I really like what I got aesthetically. Not a ton of gen 1 white bikes running around. Surprisingly out here in socal its hard to find people who can do turbos. That was a big reason I considered buying built or dare I say it, considered an H2. I wish I was, but am not, mechanically talented enough to do this job on my own. Thats my girl. 06 limited. D&D full exhaust, KN filter, Galfer lines all round, EBC HH pads but stock otherwise. Best mod? The brakes. Somebody smart on here told me to do those first, and I listened. thanks man, I will let u know what direction I end up going. If u know anybody in socal who can handle a turbo busa build please let me know. its tiiiiiiiiiime!

View attachment 1655847
That's a real beauty.. @WuzzaCBXRider will be all over this....

And just 300 miles away. Why no mirrors though?

View attachment 1655849
Thanks man! yeah I get a lot of compliments on it, especially from other busa riders. I've been told its not a super common color package. Its my second fave, after the copper 99 which I am still hunting for.

U can daily a turbo. You can even tour on a turbo, there’s a nice black one on here, he rides that thing everywhere two up and stuff.

What’s your budget? If you can remove and replace some parts, have some space, own a torque wrench, u can do it yourself. Transmission needs to get sent out.

Thanks man! yeah I get a lot of compliments on it, especially from other busa riders. I've been told its not a super common color package. Its my second fave, after the copper 99 which I am still hunting for.
It looks really clean too, if it were me, I'd hesitate doing anything to it.

If you have the means, it might be better to pick up a bike already done or perhaps a project to do.

It looks really clean too, if it were me, I'd hesitate doing anything to it.

If you have the means, it might be better to pick up a bike already done or perhaps a project to do.
Thanks man! Yeah it literally has one scratch on the front fender less than an inch long and a 18 wheeler tire explosion mark (my profile pic) I got as I was weaving through shredded bouncing carcass at about 95mph westbound on I-10 outside of PHX. The piece that left the mark u see( just on the surface, no deep scratch, I keep it as a reminder) also connected w my shin and knocked my foot off the peg, thankfully I was wearing a pair of Sidi race boots w full length shin armor. It was the scariest yet most confidence inspiring moment in my riding career. This bike was amazing at near triple digit speeds doing emergency maneuvers through potentially deadly moving commercial tire debris. I thank God, Suzuki, Michelin, Galfer, and myself lol. Anyhoo, yeah, I have just about enough means. I have no idea what insurance will cost however. Lol, do u even tell them? I pay 134$ a mo for full coverage currently here in CA, zero accidents, clean record, experienced rider discount. Do not have MSF discount tho. Anyways, yeah, I gotta give the whole thing some serious thought. Thanks man

Back